Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Fined for having too much rubbish.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Isn't this a lovely world we live in?
A father-of-four has been left with a criminal record for overfilling his wheelie bin by four inches.

Gareth Corkhill, 26, of Whitehaven, Cumbria, received a £110 fixed penalty notice after Copeland Council staff photographed his raised bin lid.

When he refused to pay he was taken to court where magistrates added a further £115 to the fixed penalty.

Story

The irony of course was that if he'd just thrown his rubbish out on the street, he probably never would've been fined. All this when councils across the country are now switching to a fortnightly delivery. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There should be some kind of campaign ...some kind of protest in support of this guy! Madness.
    My local council have recently told hundreds of office workers that they will have to take pay cuts of around a grand a year!!!!! How the hell can they do things like this ...who the hell do they think they are?
    Thats a lot of money for people with kids and mortgages.
    To be fair, for somebody who claims to recycle, that's a lot of waste.

I don't have sympathy for people who create so much junk (for the record, I normally create around half a plastic bag size a week before anybody questions), sorry.

I support fines for over-full bins, no bleeding heart here. They not only put more trash in to landfill, but attract vermin.

Perhaps bigger households should have bigger bins or something... Unfortunately, we have to start punishing people as we only have a certain amount of land to put rubbish in. :no:
    Namaste wrote: »
    To be fair, for somebody who claims to recycle, that's a lot of waste.

I don't have sympathy for people who create so much junk (for the record, I normally create around half a plastic bag size a week before anybody questions), sorry.

I support fines for over-full bins, no bleeding heart here. They not only put more trash in to landfill, but attract vermin.

Perhaps bigger households should have bigger bins or something... Unfortunately, we have to start punishing people as we only have a certain amount of land to put rubbish in. :no:
    A father of four means a household of five or six people ...obviously they will produce more rubbish than you and a binfull isn't much for six people.
    A father of four means a household of five or six people ...obviously they will produce more rubbish than you and a binfull isn't much for six people.

Strongly agree. :yes:

I'd be feeling pretty fucking disillusioned with the state of things if i were him.
    It's more than six adults produced in my halls.

Wheelie bins are pretty big and you can pack the rubbish down.

I do think it's a lot, unless you live off ready made meals every day.
    But he has already been given a bin which is 50% bigger than a usual household because he has a big family.

Still, there really isnt any need for the fine. A visit from the council to talk to them about recycling and give them a friendly warning would have been enough.
    It's more than six adults produced in my halls.

I do think it's a lot, unless you live off ready made meals every day.
    I would imagine living in halls is nothing like running a home and family.
    His rubbish gets collected once every two weeks and his was bin was 4" above the "allowed limit". He's now got a criminal record and is £200+ worse off. I think a sense of perspective needs to be attained. I smell a calculated stab at people's wallets.
    Has anyone else noticed the concept of fining people for overfilling their bins seems to come before the concept of picking up their recycling. Kinda similar to the concept of increasing the cost of driving to encourage people to use public transport before actually providing adequate public transport. Blatant profiteering disguised as some kind of social issue. The idea that every household in the town driving to the supermarket to drop off their plastic recycling is somehow saving the environment is ludicrous.
    budda wrote: »
    But he has already been given a bin which is 50% bigger than a usual household because he has a big family.

Still, there really isnt any need for the fine. A visit from the council to talk to them about recycling and give them a friendly warning would have been enough.
    I agree, there should have been a warning... But from the sounds of it, the rubbish seems excessive.
    I agree, there should have been a warning... But from the sounds of it, the rubbish seems excessive.

So what does a £225 fine achieve?
    Has anyone else noticed the concept of fining people for overfilling their bins seems to come before the concept of picking up their recycling. Kinda similar to the concept of increasing the cost of driving to encourage people to use public transport before actually providing adequate public transport. Blatant profiteering disguised as some kind of social issue. The idea that every household in the town driving to the supermarket to drop off their plastic recycling is somehow saving the environment is ludicrous.

:yes:

All this environmental, green m'larky provides an excellent vehicle for strap taxes to. You can even get people to supports ridiculous decisions.

This council do pick up all the usual recycling, as do virtually every council dont they?
    All this environmental, green m'larky provides an excellent vehicle for strap taxes to. You can even get people to supports ridiculous decisions.

If the council have put into place good kerb side recycling schemes and people are refusing to use them and still throw out loads I do think after encouragement and warnings there should be the ability to fine them.

Its either that or the council has to pay for the landfil, which means a cost and therefore a tax increase for all residents.

But fines should only ever be a last resort.
    If the council have put into place good kerb side recycling schemes and people are refusing to use them and still throw out loads I do think after encouragement and warnings there should be the ability to fine them.

Its either that or the council has to pay for the landfil, which means a cost and therefore a tax increase for all residents.

But fines should only ever be a last resort.

I suspect we agree. The guy in question, however, had 4" of extra rubbish on a fortnightly collection - a misdemeanour hardly fitting of the punishment doled out. The punishment doesn't seem like the action of a council genuinely concerned about environmental consequences, and does seem more fitting with a council concerned about revenue generation.

He also may have a recycling service which doesn't take plastic, like mine.
    This council do pick up all the usual recycling, as do virtually every council dont they?

Usually it's one week they pick up the recycling, the next the rubbish then the week after the recycling and so on. Hence why rubbish collection is often every two weeks now (which is going to be horrible in summer).

I always feel bad reading this stories - I live above a row of shops so I get all my rubbish picked up every night, 7 days a week - I just put out a bin bag after 7 or 8 in the evening.

But yeah, there's no way this should be a fineable offence in my eyes, at the very most some kind of withdrawn services if it gets really bad but adding fines just makes it turn into a money grabbing exercise.
    Jim V wrote: »
    I always feel bad reading this stories - I live above a row of shops so I get all my rubbish picked up every night, 7 days a week - I just put out a bin bag after 7 or 8 in the evening.

I hope your not producing a binbag full a night!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't know the specifics of this story, but having dealt a lot with local authorities my experience would suggest that there is more to this story than a poor council tax payer being unfarily victimised and is probably part of a long-term problem, which he himself has made worse
    So if he'd squashed down the rubbish so it all fitted in the bin it would have been ok? It's still the same amount of rubbish, just less air in between it.
    :yes:

I would rather people get fines for creating too much waste, not recycling and other environmentally damaging behaviour than see our countryside, or anywhere else turned in to a landfill site.

Personally I don't give a shit if a few individuals don't abide by laws put there for the environment, as my priority is a cleaner and safer world for the people I love and my children.

Fuck selfish people who don't take the responsibilities and then act all victimised. Also, it probably isn't as straightforward as it seems.

As for rubbish collection being bi monthly... Why is it that much of a problem? Surely we should be looking at creating less waste as it is rather than moaning about our right to destroy the planet.
    So if he'd squashed down the rubbish so it all fitted in the bin it would have been ok? It's still the same amount of rubbish, just less air in between it.
    I'm not saying whether or not he packed it down, I'm saying how much room there is in a wheelie bin.
    9999 posts Namaste!

I don't think fining is the way to go, because the wrong people are being fined. I think the companies producing too much packaging need to be challenged to both stop it, and find different ways of storing and shipping their products without using so much packaging.

What's the usual recycling? Because we don't get plastic picked up, just paper, glass and tin. And like I said, their first thought is always to fine people, which is a joke. Not pressure the supermarkets and manufacturers who actually package the shit in the first place. Also the ridiculous concept of having the same rules for a family of 6 as they have for an old woman living on her own.
    Easy for you to say, isn't it? You're just a student - he's got a whole family. No comparison can be made.
    I support fines for over-full bins, no bleeding heart here. They not only put more trash in to landfill, but attract vermin. Unfortunately, we have to start punishing people as we only have a certain amount of land to put rubbish in...
    Great... so you're essentially in favour of bullying and harassing people in order to get them to do what you want. Stalin would be proud of such thinking. And I notice you haven't answered I'm With Stupid's question about what a fine of £225 will achieve. Is it because this policy is, forgive the pun, a load of rubbish?
    Many of our European neighbours have nightly collections.

Our weekly (not to mention forthnightly) collections are an unnaccetable third-world service. It's no wonder people fill their bins when they only get emptied twice a month.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Yep, and my understanding is many parts of the USA get around three collections a week. It makes you wonder where all the money that people pay in council tax actually goes.
    Total shambles really, shouldn't have got fined.

Moutain out of a molehill to be honest.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Yep, and my understanding is many parts of the USA get around three collections a week. It makes you wonder where all the money that people pay in council tax actually goes.

When i was living in LA the rubbish got collected couple of times a week.

Not like over here.
    Aladdin wrote: »

Our weekly (not to mention forthnightly) collections are an unnaccetable third-world service. It's no wonder people fill their bins when they only get emptied twice a month.

Third world service?! I think perhaps you're getting a little hysterical.

If people are offered proper recycling services, which pick up food waste, garden waste, tins, glass and paper. And then are given a decent sized wheelie bin I fail to see why weekly (or even bi-weekly) wouldnt work for the vast majority of households.