Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cheating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
If I sell a new essay to someone and they submit it as their own work, is their any danger to myself? That is, if they get done for cheating and mention my name, will I get in trouble too?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Probably.
  • Options
    There are systems now that can track the essay something's been plagiarised from if you've submitted it before.
  • Options
    In York recently, someone paid someone else to sit an exam for him. It went to court and they were both punished for it.
  • Options
    a new essay, as in it wont have been submitted before?
    hmm.. i'd say its most likely to be just them that gets into trouble as theyre the ones that will have submitted something that isnt theirs... suppose you could get into trouble for selling it, but you wont be cheating if it's a new essay.
  • Options
    why dont you just write your own essay? I mean, that's the point of uni right? learning something?
  • Options
    Yes, provided that your Uni found both your identities, I think they would punish both of you. The other person for plagiarism and you for being an accomplice. Not sure about your uni, but at mine, something like that may get you expelled for up to a year with a note of plagiarism in your record.

Hope you're not seriously thinking of this, plagiarism really devaluates the work of other hard working students.
  • Options
    I dont think if u have not submit that essay before anywhere as some uni's are now colarbirating about this matter and now they have access to all the assignment submitted in preivous years.

But i dont know it works or not because there is a very big industory working out there where people are doing assignment of students and non or u can say 99% of them never get caught for such act, i know few of such sites personally where this thing is happening and people are paying for doing their uni assignments.
  • Options
    There was an article about it in our student newspaper, which attempted to put the legal side across, although it seemed a bit vague. I found the link but it's not that helpful.

My understanding has always been that you definitely can't give someone work you have already submitted yourself for credit. It seems rather risky writing an essay for someone else within your own department, or even university because the internal system has potential to punish you.

I can't necessarily see how you would get punished as well if it was outside your university/college.
  • Options
    cheating is only wrong if you get caught :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    :yes:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    If I sell a new essay to someone and they submit it as their own work, is their any danger to myself? That is, if they get done for cheating and mention my name, will I get in trouble too?

what do you think? you're selling it knowing they'll submit it as their own work.
    YES.
  • Options
    nickon wrote: »
    why dont you just write your own essay? I mean, that's the point of uni right? learning something?

I do, thanks.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    what do you think?

Fuck off!
  • Options
    there's people on the net that make a living writing articles for other people.

I love the net, years ago when i was in school i couldn't be bothered writing my own coursework so i'd just download someone elses!
  • Options
    there's people on the net that make a living writing articles for other people.

I love the net, years ago when i was in school i couldn't be bothered writing my own coursework so i'd just download someone elses!
    :yes:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    One of my friends regularly writes papers and stuff for others. It's not really possible to get caught, as he doesn't submit them as his own; he just gets paid to write someone else's. All that could happen was that they'll figure it's not written by the one who submitted it, the only way my friend will be in danger is if that person tells them who did it.

I was offered to do the same recently; I refused because of principle.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Fraud is only wrong if you get caught.
    Theft is only wrong if you get caught.
    Assault is only wrong if you get caught.
    Rape is only wrong if you get caught.
    Murder is only wrong if you get caught.

Puh-lease. What a pathetic attitude.

Cheating is wrong and morally and spiritually bankrupt because anybody can do it. Anybody can get a friend or an internet company or - God forbid - a Wikipedia page to do their work for them. And it'll look robotic, be written in an awful style and be tedious, full of secondhand thinking, received opinion, yawn-inducing nonsense, because real good work doesn't get shared with idiots for $5.99 or whatever. It only benefits the sort of people who are fine with being lazy and/or rubbish at everything - no thirst for learning, no desire to improve at anything. And one day they'll realise it's not so cool to tell everyone they never worked for anything.
  • Options
    Uh--well, if it's completely new, and not up anywhere on the internet or published anywhere, they won't be able to trace it back to you. If they find out, you'll probably get screwed over, but I doubt they will if the above conditions are met. So you won't get in trouble.