Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What would happen if Britain got rid of its Armed Forces?

Just a hypothetical question to pass the time, like. ;)

I realise that the Armed Forces provide a number of services, including valuable humanitarian missions. But provided Britain could contribute in other ways for such missions, what would the likely consequences actually be?

In this day and age, and with the current relations we have with the world, does anyone actually believe Britain would at any time in the future be in danger of being attacked and/or invaded by another nation?

The danger of terrorist attacks will always be there and armed forces make not one iota of difference to them. If China or anyone else decided to nuke us, it would mean nuclear World War regardless of our own deterrent. Nor that any sovereign nation could possibly have reason to do such a thing.

The money saved would be astronomical, and the things that could be improved with the many billions of Pounds freed every single year endless. The way I see it is all gain and very little pain.

Already one nation (is it Costa Rica?) has successfully lived in peace without any army to back it up for decades, and in an area that for the last half century has been infinitely more volatile than ours. If we are no threat to others, others are no threat to us.

Let the flaming begin... :p
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »

If China or anyone else decided to nuke us, it would mean nuclear World War regardless of our own deterrent.
    ... :p
    Not sure it would lead to world war ...it would certainly scare everyone else shitless ...maybe enough to prevent it going any further.
  • Options
    Nothing until the moment you need them and then you are fucked.

(Anyway humanitarian missions need well trained infantry more than they need anything else)
  • Options
    See, I don't think we'd ever do again once we got rid of it.
  • Options

Do what? UN missions? defending ourselves? defending our allies?

To give a slightly longer answer you must have more faith in human nature than I do.

Day 1 - we abolish our armed forces
    Day 2 - Argentinia invades the Falklands
    day 3 - The real IRA starts a recruiting campaign
    Day 4 - an unpopular Spanish government faceing an election decides to canvas by sending troops into Gib.
    Day 5 - during tough EU negotiations France sends some fighters to overfly Whitehall

The armed forces aren't there to fight wars except in a last resort. They are there to make sure that the risk anyone faces in trying to influence us using force outweighs any possible reward.
  • Options
    Don't forget that the dastardly French, regardless of what they say to the contrary, still haven't gotten over that whole Joan of Arc business.
  • Options
    Just a hypothetical question to pass the time, like.

You do have far too much time on your hands, Aladdin. :)

I must say though, that reading your posts generally, you're quite a dreamer really (in a good way). You seem to have some faith in the human condition that humankind will evolve into a caring, sharing, peaceful and harmonious creature. I think that is a wonderful dream to aspire to - and indicates that you are a man with a good heart.

I, on the other hand, while I wish we could aspire to your hoped for standards, feel too cynical about man's inhumanity to man.

Of course, this is a complete aside from your topic, so sorry I hijacked your question. :)
  • Options
    Anybody else up for an invasion of Costa Rica :hyper:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Perhaps that is the difference between the two nations. One has certain 'assets' that are coveted by others.

I for one cannot see a Spanish government- not even a Popular Party one- ever using military force to try to get Gibraltar back, though I guess if Argentina was to fall into a dictatorship again they could be tempted to have another go.

I don't doubt that in the past the army has fulfilled important roles, not just that of waging war. But it is possible we have reached a point in history were none of Britain's "enemies" would be uncivilised enough to consider the use of force in a dispute.
  • Options
    tbh I don't think we will ever reach that point where we can discard our Armed Forces. One of Britains 'enemies' in recent history has been the Russians, I don't think I would consider them civilised enough not to invade an undefended country.
  • Options
    If China or anyone else decided to nuke us, it would mean nuclear World .
    ... :p
    If we had no armed forces i pressume we would have no nukes so i don't see why it would mean world war 3. We aint important enough any longer. Who would realy care to the point where they were willing to be nuked for us?
    We are important enough for that in what respect?
  • Options

I wouldn't - it's borders are guaranteed by the US
  • Options
    What's all Britain needs to do as well then. It's about time we got something back out of the Special Relationship ;):D
  • Options
    I for one cannot see a Spanish government- not even a Popular Party one- ever using military force to try to get Gibraltar back, though I guess if Argentina was to fall into a dictatorship again they could be tempted to have another go..

Can't you? I imagine in 1929 many people felt the same way about Weimar. And it'd be a no risk operation which would get lots of popular support.
    I don't doubt that in the past the army has fulfilled important roles, not just that of waging war. But it is possible we have reached a point in history were none of Britain's "enemies" would be uncivilised enough to consider the use of force in a dispute

In my view that's naive. The reason why people don't fight as many wars is that the risk vs reward is now weighted in the favour of risk. if we couldn't fight back because we've got rid of our armed forces all that's left is reward.

I'm afraid I'm with Teagan on this. We're fundamentally the same as the Romans, Huns and Vandals - but with better weapons.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I think while people are such a way inclined as to need a police force they are also capable of doing things that would require us to have an army. That is unless it was a one world government. But then I've read about stuff like that...

One world government is a very bad idea ...keep the armies to fight that very idea!
  • Options
    And what nation would honestly be idiotic enough to abolish its entire armed forces?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    We'd either get raped to shit, or some big corporation would protect and dominate us.

Or, someone just walks in and says "our country and army rule now. K."
  • Options

Shame, I had you down to lead our merry bunch of adventurers :D
  • Options
    Shame, I had you down to lead our merry bunch of adventurers :D

Well, if I get to lead I'm free Thursday :D
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    And what nation would honestly be idiotic enough to abolish its entire armed forces?
    Apparently shit loads of them. I was wrong earlier. A search on the internets reveals quite a few countries are living perfectly safe and happy lives without armies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_without_an_army

Why haven't they been invaded? Why don't other nations send their fighter jets over as a threatening move when negotiating treaties or solving disputes?

At present not anybody could get rid of their armed forces. Certain countries in certain parts of the world would be in serious risk of promptly being attacked by their neighbours. But I still mantain that Britain could get rid of its own army without any consequences whatsoever.
  • Options
    All these countries being small or "unimportant" countries though. Along with any issues for defence, i imagine it's also reduce the UK's international reputation, for lack of of a better word, with all the other lrge developed nations.
  • Options
    Apparently shit loads of them. I was wrong earlier. A search on the internets reveals quite a few countries are living perfectly safe and happy lives without armies:

Why haven't they been invaded? Why don't other nations send their fighter jets over as a threatening move when negotiating treaties or solving disputes?

Because they're small insignificant states? Because they are dependent, or have a history of dependence, or are confident that they can depend on other states for their defence? Or because they have no significant interests of their own?

I think the consequences for Britain, mentioned by FG, are quite likely.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Because they're small insignificant states? .

In what way are we so significant?
    We have no raw materials of any kind that anyone needs or wants.
    We have more or less no manufacturing industry that cannot and is not being replicated elswhere.
    We have the financial ...:lol: :crazyeyes :lol: the financial sector in London ...:lol: :no: which is rapidly being transferred to other places.
    So we have one city of importance ...who the fuck would want to attack it ...or defend it?
    This country realy is on the edge of hell.
  • Options
    Panama does have the Canal though, one of the greatest and most valuable assets in the world.
  • Options

At present not anybody could get rid of their armed forces. Certain countries in certain parts of the world would be in serious risk of promptly being attacked by their neighbours. But I still mantain that Britain could get rid of its own army without any consequences whatsoever.

because frankly who cares about Micronesia or Andora. Many of these have defence agreements with larger countries, because everyone recognises they are too small to defend themselves, others have police forces which are basically small armies (with AFVs etc).
  • Options
    Panama does have the Canal, though, one of the greatest and most valuable assets in the world.

It also was invaded by the US quiet recently and is now basically a US protectorate
  • Options

You didn't read the whole article, Aladdin :

Many of the 21 countries listed here typically have had a long-standing agreement with a former occupying country etc etc :)
  • Options
    But I still mantain that Britain could get rid of its own army without any consequences whatsoever.

Said as a Spaniard wanting Gibraltar back! :p
  • Options
    Well, if I get to lead I'm free Thursday :D

Thats the spirit, first Costa Rica then the other 20 and we'll soon have an Empire. I quite fancy being Viceroy of Micronesia.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Said as a Spaniard wanting Gibraltar back! :p
    Damn. That's my masterplan exposed! :mad: :D
  • Options
    Thats the spirit, first Costa Rica then the other 20 and we'll soon have an Empire. I quite fancy being Viceroy of Micronesia.

But you'll only have a for a few years before it sinks under global warming... Still may be good to have to scuba dive to your new possessions