Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

URGENT!! -hair advice!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sooo im a student - andat the moment i dont have much cash on me - so in order to get rid of theAWFUL streaks that my mum put in my hair the other day, i home bleached it and dyed it brown again.( my mateused the exact same products a few days agoand it looks great - AND i did a strand test the other day and i had no bad effects)

HOWEVER - after irinsed the bleach out i losta LOTof hair - and then againwhen i just washed out the dye, i lost a LOT of hair again

my mate hada look at ita minute ago, and apparently myhair has turned really stretchy?!!like, you pullonit and itstretches before falling out, or rising again.

what onearth should ido to stop it being like this?!!
im thinking i should go to the hairdressers PRONTO but seeing as ivehad so much done to it over the last 2 days, idontwant anythingelse happening to it so soon after?!!

im scared actually :(its horrible (honestly,if usaw how much hair i lost ud be amazed!!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I suggest a trip to the hairdressers, they wont do anything to it to damage it anymore but might give you some advice.

Did you bleach and dye all of your hair or just sections? Which parts are falling out?

Hugs.
    i bleached all of it - or my friend did it for me anyway!

for some reason, my roots are absolutely fine for about 3-4 inches down, and for the most part, the ends of my hair are fine too, its just a big section in the middle thats all horrible!

its gone all ratty, and feels like rubber :( im scared to even comb it because even more will come out. i just booked a hairdresser appointment for monday morning - but i forgot to ask the woman what i should be doing with it in the meantime!

im scared shell have to cut it all off and give me a bob :crying: ive spent ages growing it so il be upset if it all has to be hacked off!!
    i know its my fault for usng bleachin the first place i gues. i just didnt want to pay a 100 quid or so to go to a salon - 100 quid that ill most likely be using on mon to repair it anyway :impissed:
    In the meantime, I would recommend conditioning the crap out of it. Leave your conditioner on for ages too, every time you wash it. 5 mins or more. And don't brush your hair while it's wet - that's when it's most stretchy and fragile. If you must, comb it through very gently.
    I agree with Kaffrin but maybe it would be best not to wash your hair until you've seen the hairdresser on Monday.

You can buy hair reconstructors if you want something a little bit more intense than a normal conditioner. I'm glad its ok at the root, I know you would be upset if it all had to be cut off but at least you'll have some hair. If the worst comes to the worst you can get a funky little short cut and I'm sure it will look lovely.
    RaggyDoll wrote: »
    I agree with Kaffrin but maybe it would be best not to wash your hair until you've seen the hairdresser on Monday.

You can buy hair reconstructors if you want something a little bit more intense than a normal conditioner. I'm glad its ok at the root, I know you would be upset if it all had to be cut off but at least you'll have some hair. If the worst comes to the worst you can get a funky little short cut and I'm sure it will look lovely.

ahhh im all teary after reading that :crying:
    god i hope it doesnt come to that. ill look SO awful with short hair i just know it

it just looks and feels SO horrible tho i dont see what can be done to it OTHER than cutting it all off.

i may look into getting some hair reconstruction stuff tho.
    i have some leave in conditioner my mate lent me but even using that is an effort

i feel so stupid
    soraliah wrote: »
    ahhh im all teary after reading that :crying:
    god i hope it doesnt come to that. ill look SO awful with short hair i just know it

it just looks and feels SO horrible tho i dont see what can be done to it OTHER than cutting it all off.

i may look into getting some hair reconstruction stuff tho.
    i have some leave in conditioner my mate lent me but even using that is an effort

i feel so stupid

Aww I'm sorry :(

Seriously though, when I read your first post I was thinking it was a lot worse than it is. You are really lucky that you have those few inches at the top that are fine.

You shouldn't feel stupid, you did all the strand tests and things. You're just unlucky.

You never know though, you hair might take really well to some leave in conditioner and might rebuild with some reconstructor. Maybe I'm imagining it worse than it is. Can you actually see that you have lost hair, or do you just know you have because you saw it come out?

Its not the end of the world. You'll be fine.
    Big Hug

Lots of sympathy Soraliah, I hope your hair settles down. This happened to me once so I know how you feel. If you can take a long term view everything will be fine as you will be sure to take good care of you hair from now on.
    Mandalena wrote: »
    Lots of sympathy Soraliah, I hope your hair settles down. This happened to me once so I know how you feel. If you can take a long term view everything will be fine as you will be sure to take good care of you hair from now on.

god yeah!! i dont think ill home dye my hair ever again after this! (even tho it was obviously the bleach that did it)

its not helping that all of my housemates are laughing and taking the piss about what ill look like with short hair .meanies

the good thing is tho that iTHINK since idid it this morning, there is less rubbery-ness than before - although there is still hell of a lot of stretching still going on (if i pull gently on it you can SEE it stretching loooads before springing back)

im trying to look at the brightside and imagining myself with a cute pixie hair cut - never done it before so would be something different i guess.. mayeven look ok :chin: maybe

thanks people who have posted anywho :) appreciated.
    more helpful than my housemates here anyway!

in the words of one of them before (he's a boy btw) "eww oh god its gone green! i dont want to touch it in case i get infected with it too" :rolleyes:
    Don't worry too much - my hair has done that stretchy thing before and recovered. In fact, I trust home dyes more, cause it had the stretchy episode after having it done by a hairdresser! :grump:

Takes time, patience and a lot of gentleness though! It may be easier to go for the chop - there's a short style to suit most people and you might surprise yourself with how ace you look.
    Don't panic, I bleached my hair a load of times and it did that stretchy thing and it also used to squeak when it was pulled. It recovered fine! I also remember losing a lot of hair after it had been bleached. Get the ends cut off and do some serious conditioning, I'm talking a whole bottle of intensive conditioner, a showercap and 2 hours of spare time.

Also don't take everything the hairdresser says to heart if they say you need it all cut off. They love a drama. They always tell me mine is dry and try to cut loads off, but it always looks fine
    UPDATE!

iwent to the hairdressers today (after 2 days of not even touching the hair)
    - ihad 3 of the girls look at it, and all 3 said there was no point even trying to save it because it was that bad (it really was :()

sooo i got it cut off. initially the woman said i could keep it just below chin length, but it was apparent after cutting that she'd have to go shorter cuz the ends were still so awful.

tbh, it doesnt look TOO bad - i dont think the colour really suits me tho!! typical.
    its going to take a while to get used to :( ill take a piccy later to show before andafter. its quite dramatic really!!

thanks for everyones advice!! i certainly know never to do it again anyhow!!
    kangoo wrote: »
    Also don't take everything the hairdresser says to heart if they say you need it all cut off. They love a drama. They always tell me mine is dry and try to cut loads off, but it always looks fine

They do the same to me.

It's cause if they say 'omg, it's so bad it's beyond rescue, you must have a wash, cut and finish immediately or you will be bald!' they make £30. If they say 'yeah, it's not looking too great, but go home and use plenty of conditioner and don't use heat stylers for a few months and it'll recover', they make £0.

Anyhoo, glad the new do is not too bad. I'm sure you'll come round to it more after you get over the shock of suddenly losing all your hair! :)