Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

This is a scam, right?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I see a car on autotrader for sale, vw polo 07 reg 11k miles for.. £2900.. :chin:

Anyway i email the seller and get this response:
Hello,
I regret the delay of my response.
I already have many emails so I hope you'll understand that I need to sort them.
My name is Linda Parker I have 31 years old and I was doctor for 3 years in Leeds. I am glad you are

interested in my car 2007 Volkswagen New Polo 1.4 S TDI (70 PS).
First, I want you to know that I lived in Leeds until 2 months ago, but now I'm in Greece because I am

pregnant and I have decided to give birth in my home country so I want to sell my car and move back in Greece.

The car is in perfect working condition. It's in showroom condition, no scratches, no dents, full service

history, HPI clear, no outstanding finance, non-smoking, never involved in any accident and it has 11200

miles.
The car is still UK registered and now it is locked in my garage. If you dicide to buy it you will receive the

original invoice, logbook, keys and all the documents to register it into your name .
Genuine reason for sale: unfortunately I can't register the car here because you know it is very hard to drive

a Right-hand car here.

I want 2900 GBP + shipping to your door for the car. To calculate the shipping fees send me your address.

Due to amount involved and due the fact that I am not located in the United Kingdom, I only accept third party

transaction mediator.
I have chosen the eBay Shipping Center Program to take care of all the proceedings, so the car will be shipped

by eBay.
Beside shipping the car, eBay will act as the middle man - holding the payment until you receive and inspect

it. You will have one week inspection period.

Regarding the payment method I would like to use eBay like a third part for the payment because in my opinion

this is the safest way to handle the transaction. You will have the car for inspection and test drive BEFORE

any money is released to me.

Look how this work:
1. I will contact them , and I will send your shipping information to eBay to open the transaction.
2. They will send you a payment invoice for the car (the invoice will be from customer support team) about

how to make the payment.
3. The invoice contains all the info about this transaction and you must follow the steps written there to

complete the deal with me.
4. After all that will be done, the car will be shipped by eBay, and the car will arrive at your address in

3 to 5 days..
5. Buyer accepts delivery and informs eBay to tell them if he is satisfied or not
6. Ebay will release the money to the seller(in case the buyer is satisfied) or to the buyer(in case that

he is not satisfied).
This means a 3rd party.
You will receive a tracking # in the same day when the car will be shipped from eBay.

I am using the protection and shipping program offered by eBay Shipping Center because this will protect both

of us and also it is the fastest way to complete this deal.
If you want to go on with this deal , mail me immediately your shipping address to contact ebay and calculate

the shipping cost .

Let me know if you are interested ...

Big scam, right?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No shit!
    Hello,
    I already have many emails so I hope you'll understand that I need to sort them.
    My name is Nicholas Martino and I am glad you are interested in my tractor 2005 Kubota BX23 with 60 mowing deck.
    First, I want you to know that I lived in Newtown Square, PA until 2 months ago, but now I'm in England because I have a new business here.
    I need money urgently and that's why i am selling this tractor so cheap, because I can't register it here in England, you understand how problematic will it be the steering wheel on left here.
    The tractor is in perfect condition and 100% working, no scratches or any kind of damage. I am the owner of the tractor and there are no liens on it so all the papers are in my name.
    The price is $4,000 .
    I have chosen the eBay Shipping Center Program to take care of all the proceedings, so the tractor is right now in their
    possession in a warehouse in Newtown Square, PA from where it will be shipped by eBay.
    Beside shipping the tractor, eBay will act as the middle man - holding the payment until you receive and inspect the it.
    You will have one week inspection period.
    Regarding the payment method i would like to use eBay like a third part for the deposit because eBay will protect us.
    I am a seal member and that means I am backed up for all my auctions on eBay. I pay them fees for that!
    The tractor is already into eBay possession, they inspected and tested the tractor to see if the description on eBay matches with the real condition.
    Look how this work:
    1. I will contact them , and I will send your shipping information to eBay.
    2. They will send you a payment invoice for the tractor (the invoice will be from customer support team) about how to make the payment.
    3. The invoice contains all the info about this transaction and you must follow the steps written there to complete the deal with me.
    4. After all that will be done, the tractor will be shipped from eBay, and the tractor will arrive at your address in 5 days..
    This means a 3rd party.
    You will receive a tracking # in the same day when the tractor will be shipped from eBay.
    I forgot to tell you the shipping is free if you pay $4000 for my tractor.
    I am using the eBay protection and shipping program offered by eBay Shipping Center because this will protect both of us and also
    it is the fastest way to complete this deal.
    Please note that the tractor was listed on craigslist and not on eBay! I am just using the eBay Protection Program offered by eBay because they support craigslist ads too now.
    If you want to go on with this deal , mail me immediately because I have another interested buyer and I need to sell this tracto fast.

Best Regards!

Here are some pics:
    Hello,
    First, I want you to know that I live in USA,but for the moment I'm in
    England.The bike is right now located at eBay shipping center from where it will be shipped by eBay as I had to go abroad for a busines seminar in London for two weeks and I deposited the bike there to do this deal in the meantime.
    There is a reason of selling it for such a low price but I'm not willing to discuss it in public so please don't ask.
    The bike is in perfect condition.It has a clear title which you will
    receive along with the bike.
    The buy it now price is $2,800.
    Regarding the payment method, i would like to use eBay like a 3rd
    party for the deposit because eBay will protect us.I am a seal member and that's mean I am backed up for all my auctions on eBay.I pay them fees for that!
    The bike is already into eBay possession,they inspected and tested the bike to
    see if the description on eBay matches with the real condition.
    The bike is right now located at eBay shipping center from where it will be shipped by eBay.Beside shipping the bike eBay will act as the middle man - holding the payment details until you receive and inspect the bike.
    Look how they work:
    1.I will contact them , and I will send your shipping information to eBay.
    2.They will send us mail forms (the forms will be from purchase protection
    team) for you about payment deposit.
    3.Those forms must be filled by every part of this deal(me and you)
    with infos that they required.
    4.We must submit the forms.
    This means a 3rd party.
    After all that will be done,the bike will be shipped from eBay,and
    will arrive to your place in max. 5 days.You will receive a tracking # in the same day that the bike will be shipped from eBay.
    I forgot to tell you that the shipping is free if you pay $2,800 for my bike.
    If you want to go on with this deal , mail me asap because I have another
    interested buyer and I need to sell this bike fast.

Abbas.jpg
    Yep. You could tell that it was a scam here -

My name is Linda Parker I have 31 years old and I was doctor for 3 years in Leeds

Because frankly a real doctor would have better grammar.

But if you need more, just read the next line -

I am glad you are interested in my car 2007 Volkswagen New Polo 1.4 S TDI (70 PS).

Noone describes their car like that, except maybe car insurance site drop down lists, which is most likely where they scabbed the text from.

Then you can read bit further, and discover how this person is in Greece. Well, that's fine,people could go back to Greece I suppose. But then, she knows she wont be able to drive her car there. So what would she do? Would she

a) Pay a whole load of cash to ship her car out to Greece, and then try to sell it to someone back in the UK knowing that she'll have to charge shipping and get less interest.

or

B) Sell the car before leaving to go to Greece, thereby saving a load of cash and hassle.

Obviously it's B, unless you're a scumbag scam artist, and there is no car.
    ha they just sent me a picture of the car.. and they sent a picture of a TDI not a 1.4... hope no-one falls for this :(
    tinkler wrote: »
    No shit!

Abbas.jpg

What do we need the picture of yo momma for?
    I had this looking for flats, I was told I could view this (stupidly ridiculous flat... £70 per week in Mayfair... I think not) flat however I would need to give a deposit to her "lawyer" first before viewing and then I could view it.

She kept stressing she was a "BRITISH CITIZEN", well whoop de doo for you. Why do you keep saying this?

So I said that there was no way in hell that she was getting my money and to fuck off and learn English properly. I reported her to Gumtree and the police and apparently they got a track on them via Western Union and she was detained.

It made me rather smug.
    :)
    Mist wrote: »
    Yep. You could tell that it was a scam here -

My name is Linda Parker I have 31 years old and I was doctor for 3 years in Leeds

Because frankly a real doctor would have better grammar.

You would hope so...but generally in my experience it is not always the case!! Deciphering what the doctor means is part of the fun of my job!!

As for the scam, it sounds very dodgy to me :yes:
    If I can be arsed, I like to string these guys along ... waste as much of their time thinking that they have found a 'sucker'. It's funny how pissed off they get once they know that you have wasted their time. I must have about 20 death threats hanging over me. :D
    advertised on Autotrader!!!!

:crazyeyes SCAM SCAM SCAM:shocking: :shocking:

Hello,
    My name is Linda Parker I have 31 years old and I was doctor for 3 years in Leeds. I am glad you are

interested in my car 2007 Honda Civic i-CTDi Turbo Diesel SE 5-Door 6-Speed Diesel 2.2.
    First, I want you to know that I lived in Leeds until 2 months ago, but now I'm in Greece because I am

pregnant and I have decided to give birth in my home country so I want to sell my car and move back in Greece.

The car is in perfect working condition. It's in showroom condition, no scratches, no dents, full service

history, HPI clear, no outstanding finance, non-smoking, never involved in any accident and it has 40,000

miles.
    The car is still UK registered and now it is locked in my garage. If you dicide to buy it you will receive the

original invoice, logbook, keys and all the documents to register it into your name .
    Genuine reason for sale: unfortunately I can't register the car here because you know it is very hard to drive

a Right-hand car here.

I want 3100 GBP + shipping to your door for the car. To calculate the shipping fees send me your address.

Due to amount involved and due the fact that I am not located in the United Kingdom, I only accept third party

transaction mediator.
    I have chosen the eBay Shipping Center Program to take care of all the proceedings, so the car will be shipped

by eBay.
    Beside shipping the car, eBay will act as the middle man - holding the payment until you receive and inspect

it. You will have one week inspection period.

Regarding the payment method I would like to use eBay like a third part for the payment because in my opinion

this is the safest way to handle the transaction. You will have the car for inspection and test drive BEFORE

any money is released to me.

Look how this work:
    1. I will contact them , and I will send your shipping information to eBay to open the transaction.
    2. They will send you a payment invoice for the car (the invoice will be from customer support team) about

how to make the payment.
    3. The invoice contains all the info about this transaction and you must follow the steps written there to

complete the deal with me.
    4. After all that will be done, the car will be shipped by eBay, and the car will arrive at your address in

3 to 5 days..
    5. Buyer accepts delivery and informs eBay to tell them if he is satisfied or not
    6. Ebay will release the money to the seller(in case the buyer is satisfied) or to the buyer(in case that

he is not satisfied).
    This means a 3rd party.
    You will receive a tracking # in the same day when the car will be shipped from eBay.

I am using the protection and shipping program offered by eBay Shipping Center because this will protect both

of us and also it is the fastest way to complete this deal.
    If you want to go on with this deal , mail me immediately your shipping address to contact ebay and calculate

the shipping cost .

Here are some pictures of the car:

http://i30.tinypic.com/2m5o31y.jpg
    http://i30.tinypic.com/vc57t.jpg
    http://i30.tinypic.com/30w6otc.jpg

I REALLY HOPE NO1 FALLS FOR IT!!!
    Yep, it's not as if there aren't enough scams going on to get people :crying:

There's also one for people trying to buy your car - they say they will pay the list price, send someone to pick the car up with a cheque and give you the cheque and it later bounces. (not that i'd take a cheque for my car - it isn't worth that much) lol.

Just something else to be wary of :(

how do you waste their time teagan?

sounds like a larf to me :chin:
    We have this kind of stuff with hotel bookings at work, best one is

1 - enquires for a rediculous amount of time eg 2month stay
    2 - asks us to take a deposit on a stolen credit card, which will work, and send some extra cash to there "travel agent" or "car hire" etc if we DID (not that we ever have) the card would then be reported stolen, we'd lose the cash and they'd keep the money for the travel agent
    Proof this is a scam:

Below is an extract from email correspondence with the husband of a 'pregnant' woman in Spain who is trying to sell me a 2006 VW Polo 1.4 TDI for £2000 (anything sound familiar so far?):

To: xxxx

Due to amount involved and due the fact that I am not located in the United Kingdom, I only accept third party transaction mediator.
    I have chosen the eBay Shipping Center Program to take care of all the proceedings, so the car will be shipped by eBay.
    Beside shipping the car, eBay will act as the middle man - holding the payment until you receive and inspect it. You will have one week inspection period.

Regarding the payment method i would like to use eBay like a third part for the payment because in my opinion this is the safest way to handle the transaction. You will have the car for inspection and test drive BEFORE any money is released to me.

Look how this work:
    2. They will send you a payment invoice for the car (the invoice will be from customer support team) about how to make the payment.
    3. The invoice contains all the info about this transaction and you must follow the steps written there to complete the deal with me.
    4. After all that will be done, the car will be shipped by eBay, and the car will arrive at your address in 3 to 5 days..
    6. Ebay will release the money to the seller(in case the buyer is satisfied) or to the buyer(in case that he is not satisfied).
    This means a 3rd party.
    I am using the protection and shipping program offered by eBay Shipping Center because this will protect both of us and also it is the fastest way to complete this deal.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM, <xxxx> wrote:

Dear Julien

So how do we proceed? First up, I will have to have an RAC guy go and look the car over (you know they do this as a service) - I wouldn't be happy to pay for it before either seeing it myself, or having a professional see it, so the question is whether you have a friend in London, or there is a contact at the warehouse who could let someone in to inspect it? Obviously, I would also need to know the location of *the vehicle in London so the RAC guy knows where to go. The second issue is how the payment would be made, assuming the inspection is OK. I was assuming you would be in the UK and we could deal in cash; unfortunately I cannot make transfers abroad very easily in my current situation. Is there someone in London who can receive the money?

This sounds a little complex, but may be you could give me a phone number (preferably a landline as mobile calls abroad are horribly expensive) and I could call you direct to discuss details. Whereabouts in Spain are you? Hopefully for your wife's sake we can work something out.

Best

Andy

>Thanks for your interest in my VW POLO, sorry for the delay.
    >I am glad you are interested in my 2006 VW POLO SE TDI 70 . The reg of the car is PJ55ZCA
    >
    >First, I want you to know that I lived in London until 2 months ago, but now I'm in Spain because my wife is pregnant and she have decided to give birth here in our home country so I want to sell everyhting and move back here.
    >The car is in perfect working condition, no scratches, no dents, full service
    >history, HPI clear, no outstanding finance, non-smoking, never involved in any accident.
    >The car is still in UK and it is UK registered. Now I left it locked into a warehouse, awaiting to be shipped to it's new owner. If you decide to buy it you will receive the original invoice, logbook, keys and all the documents to register it into your name .
    >Genuine reason for sale: unfortunately I can't sell it or register the car here because you know it is very hard to drive
    >a Right-hand car here and more of that I need money cash fast to secure a deal for a new apartment!
    >I want £2,000 for my car and the delivery fees are covered in this price !
    >Let me know if you are still interested so we can work something out.
    :chin:
    Teagan wrote: »
    If I can be arsed, I like to string these guys along ... waste as much of their time thinking that they have found a 'sucker'. It's funny how pissed off they get once they know that you have wasted their time. I must have about 20 death threats hanging over me. :D

My dad does the same thing when he gets emails through that he's won 100 billion pounds and they need his bank details.

He suggests that they meet up to discuss things and when the guy says 'oh no i'm in Hong Kong for 3 weeks...', 'oh perfect, i'm out there next week on a business trip'. Gets old though when he's telling you the story over and over again.
    As soon as I saw the word of a foreign country (Greece), I stopped reading :-)