Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Au Pair / Nanny

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been lightly looking into this sort of work for when I have finished college and I came across a great site - this kind where the potential au pairs have profiles as do the familys you browse and search for each other then exchange pictures and contacts.

And this family from Zurich has just sent me a massive long email asking me how interested and stuff I am and if I would think about going over in June for a 13months :hyper: Three girls 7, 7 and 3 - they sound like great kids and she sounds like a fab mum and a really busy happy and relaxed family.

I'm like shit - I haven't thought it through lol

Has anyone does this work before?

Or any experience of Zurich? (which I know should be in travel)

I'm like mega excited/shitting it!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It sounds really good and something that I wish I'd done if I'd had a bit more confidence in myself before I went to uni.
    You'd need to consider practical things, I'm sure there are lots but my mind jumps first to language - do they speak English or do you speak Swiss?
    I'm sure other people will think of better things than that to help you with though!
    Mother is English - she studied literature at cambridge I think she said. Dad is German but travels and speaks all languages.

Kids have currently got a british nanny and they want me to talk to the kids in english. They will also pay for me to have german lessons - though I did GCSE at school so it should come back quickly.

Does anyone know how much money goes how far in Zurich?
    Is probably similar costs to london

My friend went to france to be an au pair when she left uni - the children she had were a nightmare - did stuff like ruining all her expensive make up that she had hidden in her room and stuff.

Buttt she loved france and still is there now
    we hadd au pairs and were always good as gold for them, you're experience is going to differ depending on how you get on with the kids. Maybe you could get a sort of reference/profile from the current nanny?
    Hey Ashlee. Hope your au pairing goes well. Definitely see if you can get a reference from the current nanny to see what working for the family's really like.

And what website did you use? Cos I'm considering doing something like this after uni at some point.
    My sister did the au pair thing using a website like you described... She's now been in Rome for 3 weeks and is loving it! She was really scared but really excited about doing it and has no regrets.

The thing is, if the family are awful or anything there's nothing to tying you there, you could either find another family or come home again.

Go for it.
    I looked into doing that when I finished college but wasn't brave enough when it came down to it. On ehting I would advise you is to get a list of what your role would involve. Some families just like you to look after the children, some want you to do the childrens meals laundry etc and others want you to do the ousework for the whole house/family, so you need to agree on exactly what is expected of you.
    Pringle - I used the following: www.greataupair.com

I have registered with about 6 different websites but this is by far the best and it is the only one I am bothering to check now.

Just an update on the Zurich thing . . . more emails revealed she was a complete control freak over her children. Gut instincts said no so I nicely told her no thankyou. She was cool with it.

BUT now I am emailing a woman from Gibraltar, Spain. Sounds amazing - I think me and the mum could be twins! Will keep you updated for all you who are amazingly interested!
    is interested
    ah, seeing as your interested then!

The woman has basically offered me the job so I'm meeting her tomorrow (she's over at her mums until wednesday or thursday) for a chat and to meet her boys.
    I am well excited!
    :) Good luck. Hope it goes well.
    aw good luck! its something i always looked into doing, but i became a kids rep instead...not quite the same thing, hehe. i think its great you get to meet them before you go, instead of going all the way over there and then realising they're horrible, at least you get a first impression :]
    Met her on Tuesday and what a fab family. So normal and down to earth. The boys are great and the eldest was crying as he got in the car because he wanted me to come to his house now with them - they flew back y-day well last night. So shes said I can go over and start whenever I want but I don't finish June until like June and then Im on holiday for a week so looking at book a ONE WAY TICKET for the 1st July.

EXCITING. I'm telling like everyone now! Can't wait to get away from this dump!
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Met her on Tuesday and what a fab family. So normal and down to earth. The boys are great and the eldest was crying as he got in the car because he wanted me to come to his house now with them - they flew back y-day well last night. So shes said I can go over and start whenever I want but I don't finish June until like June and then Im on holiday for a week so looking at book a ONE WAY TICKET for the 1st July.

EXCITING. I'm telling like everyone now! Can't wait to get away from this dump!

What kind of £££ will an Au Pair make? I have no idea...

Either way, congratulations :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Congratulations Ashlee :)
    g_angel wrote: »
    What kind of £££ will an Au Pair make? I have no idea...

Either way, congratulations :)

Au pairing really isn't about making the money. I get a double bedroom and bathroom in their townhouse and I can/will eat all meals with them. So no bills, food etc and I get 100 euros a week. After I've been there some time she is planning to increase it and there is holiday pay too. Apparently over in Gibraltar a coffee is one euro, to use the leisure centre/pool/gym is 20 euros a month, the bus from their house to Gibrlatar is one euro and the bus to Malaga is eight euros. So in proportion I should be able to live nicely off 100 euro a week.

As people keep telling me though, it's just as much/more about the experience and the lifestyle. I'm not going to come back with a wad of cash in my back pocket but I got plenty of time to do that! :thumb:
    sounds like a great opportunity for you, congratulations!