Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Frustrated.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been almost to tears practically all day today and I'm welling up right now.

I'm just so damn frustrated I feel as if the Gods are against me. I started my exercise regime about 3 months ago, and was really feeling positive about the difference in my shape. That was until I sprained my ankle, when I knew my routine would be shot to shit for a few weeks.
A week later, I'm in Cornwall, and our car gets shunted from behind, and I'm now suffering with whiplash and a permanent headache.

So here I am, unable to go to work, unable to exercise and I'm sat at home and the only thing I'm able to do is eat. I'm not eating packets of crisps and chocolate bars, but I'm practically grazing all day which I know is going to get me even more down when I notice my cheekbones slowly disappearing again.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm so desperate to lose weight, yet whenever I exercise, I end up with an injury. I'm at the end of my tether and I'm sick of crying about it. I want to be slim, but it seems everything I do to try and achieve that, I get knocked back. I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Options
    Swim?

Backstroke in particular. And if you're going to graze because you're bored a) Try not to and b) buy celery and chewing gum. Massively reduces the damage.
  • Options
    Swimming is a no-go because I'm not comfortable with people seeing me in a swimming costume. That and all the lifeguards are guys from my old school.
  • Options
    That's pretty shit but eventually, surely the injuries will give over and you should be able to get back to normal.

In the meantime - try not to snack - obviously make it healthy. Mabye focus on your diet, planning and cooking good healthy wholesome meals which you can prepare from scratch seeing as your off all day. Watch some good films, spend too long on here and time should fly by.

As for the tears - give yourself a good talking to. Its NOT your fault these injuries keep happening and it's NOT you being a failure or a cop out. Make sure you know that and get your head sorted.

You'll be back in no time.
  • Options
    Thanks Ashlee, it helps :)
  • Options
    If you must graze then celery is supposed to have so little calories in it that you actually use up more energy eating it then you'll ever get out of it.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20040107.html
  • Options
    Ouch! you poor little thing

Maybe you should use this time to reflect on how something that is meant to make you feel good has become somethign that makes you feel bad.

I'm all for looking good but if you can't look at yourself and enjoy your natural shape it's not going to be a very joyful thing.

Appreciate your body from the ground up first.
  • Options
    I love my 'natural shape' - I'm pear shaped and I love it. What I don't love is the 3 stone of unnatural flab surrounding my very lovely natural shape. I've been overweight since childhood and it's been the bane of my life. I just want it gone, seriously. I'm not happy being overweight, it's not healthy, it's not natural and it's not nice to look at.
  • Options
    You've got to weigh up the various options.

Swimming is about the only option whilst injured, so maybe it's worth it? If you pick your session carefully it will be really really quiet, early morning and lunchtime lane sessions are often busy, but anything in the morning, or during the school afternoon is completely dead at most local pools.
  • Options

Swimming is about the only option whilst injured, so maybe it's worth it? If you pick your session carefully it will be really really quiet, early morning and lunchtime lane sessions are often busy, but anything in the morning, or during the school afternoon is completely dead at most local pools.

"You've got to weigh up the various options." - GUFFAW! Accidental or on purpose? :lol:
  • Options
    Completely accidental. Was going to say toss up originally but thought better of that as I thought some lovely person would twist that....
  • Options
    I guess thats one of the problems with your EDS. You need to find something low impact and still be extra careful. I imagine it IS very frustrating.
    With the swimming thing, is there maybe a women only hour or something. A lot of pools have that. Might be more face-able wearing a cossie if its just other women there?
  • Options
    If it's any comfort to you, you can't tell what people are like once they are actually in the water ( the guys at work bemoan that they can only check out the hot girls on the way to/from the water). Take two towels and take one out onto poolside so you go to the water with it wrapped round you, then you're only exposed for about 3 seconds.

Take two towels because the one you take to poolside WILL get wet and be rubbish for getting dried.
  • Options
    I guess thats one of the problems with your EDS. You need to find something low impact and still be extra careful. I imagine it IS very frustrating.
    With the swimming thing, is there maybe a women only hour or something. A lot of pools have that. Might be more face-able wearing a cossie if its just other women there?
    That's the thing, my local pool has lady only sessions, with a male lifeguard, which entirely defeats the point imo. Also, it's held at 12pm on a weekday (do they think that all women are stay at home wives?) - I work, as does my mum who'd be the one going with me.

On the plus side, my mum's said as she may be getting a payrise, she may be able to afford a gym membership for us both - which would be the most ideal situation because then I'd have access to a cross trainer - pretty much the only piece of gym equipment I'm allowed to use as it's 'non weight bearing' :rolleyes: .

So I suppose, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the gym thing will work out because I'm at a loss otherwise.

Thanks for all your suggestions, it's really helped :)
  • Options

Also lots of pools have women only sessions - so you then there would be no chance of meeting the boys from school
  • Options
    Went down to Virgin Active today for a look around and it seems that because me and mum are both students, we may just be able to afford a gym membership each (she'll be paying, as I'm only working part time) so it's looking quite promising. The guy's gonna give us some free passes to get us going until our monthly membership kicks in in may - nice one.

SO yes :) Something to be joyous about :D