Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can some jobs look bad on your CV? (PETA)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have applied with a job for PETA (amongst around 50 others so far) and they have got back to me. Now I believe in a lot of PETA's principles, I am a vegan and an environmentalist.

But PETA have a bad rep in the states. The thing is though, that the livestock industry has a big influence (for example, Mcdonalds) and this could affect reporting... Also, PETA's aims are not fashionable. However, I do respect a lot of what they do, even if it is not 'cool' to do so.

I don't know why they are so notorious... I mean if you work for the government, then you are technically supporting an entity that invaded another country... Most businesses you can work for have something dodgy about them, whether it be investments or pollution or treatment of trade unions.

I also really need a job and the experience, I think I could do well at this. If say... I did get it, then found out people were nutters, I could always look for a new job.

Would this put future employers off employing me?#

Please note, I don't care about your views on animal rights (can open another thread for that?)... Just want some answers as to whether it's functional to work for PETA.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would say go for it. I think PETA's name has improved a lot over the last few years.

If they do turn out to be nutters, you can always say to a future employer why you chose to leave (obviously don't say nutters) but say the reason you joined in the first place. I.e this was something you were passionate about.
    Whether it would put people off depends on the individual recruiter and company.

I think for most people it wouldn't bother them, although if ti was me or plenty fo others i know, it'd def put me off if it was a close thing between you and another candidate.

They are notorious cos they or there employess have done some pretty shady things, including giving funding to groups later designated as terrorist groups, and also things such as comparing killing chikens to the holocaust, and generally being hypocrital on certain subjects.
    I agree with Calvin, above, but it obviously does send out a strong statement about your politics. If in the future an interviewer questions it, it probably reflects that their politics don't work with yours. It may, in fact, serve as an interesting barometer!
    It would also partly depend on the kind of firms you were interested in working for in the future.
    No - i think you should go ahead and apply to them - i've always aimed to work for an organsiation which is listed on NGO watch :thumb:

i did used to work for one which got slated by the daily mail as well
    Namaste, you're still young. Any employer seriously looking at your skills and what you can offer their company, would brush over your period at PETA - unless of course, you were involved in something illegal.

I say, go for it! The wider your range of experiences now, the more attractive you may seem to a future employer.
    I personally would hesitate if I saw something like that on a CV as I am quite involved in various horse communities and on more than one occasion have I heard some bizarre bordering on scary opinions and beliefs of PETA members. I think they're too all-or-nothing and mostly run on sensationalism. They are notorious because A LOT of the people that support their beliefs have no experience with real life animals or how their owners treat them and tend to paint us all with the same brush.

It would probably boil down to what exactly you did for them and the person responsible for filtering out CVs for whatever company you apply for. ;) It wouldn't necessarily have any bad effects but you might need to explain why you chose to work for them in the future depending on what you wish to do, it's hardly the sort of organisation you apply to work for without having interst in what they do. ;)
    A job is a job. Someone's got to do it. For example, I'm not exactly easy with the idea of working for the tobacco industry, but if that's what I had to do in order to earn a living, so be it. If you won't do the job, someone else will. I suspect that few people think what kind of political statement they'd be making if they took a particular job, so as such, I think it's an irrelevance.
    what someone said to me about going and working for the green party was: if you want to work in lush all your life go a head, otherwise don't. I'd never get a job at the bbc with that on my CV, but then i work in a very different industry and there are so many people for so few jobs that if anything isn't perfect, they won't employ you.

with what you do, i think it would be a good thing, as it would prove that you can work for an employer that asks a lot and that is quite high profile.
    It depends entirely on what job you would be doing for them and what job you might want to do in the future.

If you think you might apply for something in the future that would be so highly competative that this job could rule you out, then don't bother with it. Otherwise go for it.
    I agree, it depends on the individual job. If you're a fundraiser for a charity, or otherwise involved directly in their work and message, then I think you are implicated in that to some degree. If you're their accountant or driver, then not so much. It might be an issue to some companies that PETA directly opposes. But otherwise, I don't think so. As long as you're not looking for a career in medical research or meat production, I can't think of any issues. I seem to remember you being interested in a career somewhere in the field of human rights work, so I don't see any conflicts there.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I agree with Calvin, above, but it obviously does send out a strong statement about your politics. If in the future an interviewer questions it, it probably reflects that their politics don't work with yours. It may, in fact, serve as an interesting barometer!

Well, I plan to work with NGOs in the environment or development...

I'm not gonna get a job in a slaughterhouse.
    drachir wrote: »

Do you think that a website created by a group which is funded by meat and tobacco industries and Coca Cola is not going to be biased? In fact why is it even relevent to a thread about jobs?

They run websites against people who criticise the ethics of different industries to make them look bad because they're paid by big companies to do so.

PETA euthanises animals which can't be found homes... What else is to be done about them?
    Not to get too controversial with this thread, but there are animal welfare charities that oppose PETA's methods and prefer to home animals themselves if they can't be found new homes elsewhere.
    Some do... Just the same that some vegans do.

The problem is that most animals which are took in can't be rehomed... With any animal shelter. Animal shelters only have a certain capacity, then animals have to be turned away and where would they go?

That's just my view...

I've done some experience in the vets and they do get sick strays in. A sick stray is highly unlikely to find a home, as well as adult animals and dogs who have litter. I think people should be targetting those who take on animals and don't look after them and people who don't neuter their pets rather than PETA.
    Probably be fine as long as you're not looking to go onto the Holocaust Memorial Trust

http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=3021