Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fashionalb Clothes for larger ladies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I have a friend who has not that great dress sense and who i guess is a size 18. We are going to a wedding together in a few weeks time and she needs to find an outfit for it.

It needs to be preferably something that is summer pastle colours and isn't super formal as its a not very formal wedding, but she always looks particually bad when she tries to dress herself for ths kind of occassion so we are trying push her in the direction of some nice clothes shops instead of her god awful staples of Next and M&S.

However i'm struggling to think of anywhere that does err larger clothes - i sent one nice dress from monsoon but she wants a skirt top combination and all thier skirts are reallllllly bad.

So any suggestion of good places - aside from that terrible shop i can't remembmer the name of - umm Evans i think

Comments

• Options
    It's worth having a look at New Look. They have a range, I think it's called Inspired which does larger sizes and sometimes has some really nice stuff in it (at other times has the same failing as the rest of New Look and is naff rubbish).
  • Options
    I am a size 18 and I find wallis do some lovely items, also have you thought about Debenhams, House of Fraser, Evans, Coast do a size 18 and have some lovely clothes.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    However i'm struggling to think of anywhere that does err larger clothes - i sent one nice dress from monsoon but she wants a skirt top combination and all thier skirts are reallllllly bad.

I've got a couple of skirts from Monsoon that I really like :blush: Or maybe you just meant they are bad on her figure in particular?

But then I also like clothes from Next (but I don't shop there as I had a terrible time working there and it's put me off - but I think the clothes look good if they do the right size) and some of M&S stuff too.

My step-sisters are both a bit larger and they have some nice things from Evans too.

I'm so the wrong person to ask! :lol:

If her boobs are quite big or bigger than the rest of her then Bravissimo do some nice things, I've got a couple of shirts from there. I'm not sure how big they go up in dress sizes or if they have anything really suitable for this wedding but if she wears a larger size than she needs to because of having larger boobs then Bravissimo clothes can be really flattering.
  • Options
    I am a size 18 and I find wallis do some lovely items, also have you thought about Debenhams, House of Fraser, Evans, Coast do a size 18 and have some lovely clothes.
    Oooh Coast do gorgeous formal wear. Love love love it.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I've got a couple of skirts from Monsoon that I really like :blush: Or maybe you just meant they are bad on her figure in particular?

No just in general this season they seem to have lots of hidous brightly coloured skirts with large prints all over them - i love monsoon as well becuase they size thier clothes all wrong and i'm a size 10, plus also i've probably bought up all the nice clothes already and we would end up looking like twins.

i'm currently thinking of pointing her in the direction of a nice fitted black shirt dress with a large pink sash belt if i can find one, as she looked great when we all wore the big giant princess dresses so i'm thiking pulled in at the waist is the way to go!

She isn't even that big i think just in denial.
  • Options
    Evans...

Though I am shrinking and can no longer really fit in to their clothes.
  • Options
    or if you want to look online www.simplybe.co.uk or www.classicconfidence.co.uk do nice stuff for larger ladies
  • Options
    Evans can have some nice stuff, but some stuff they have is hideous (I used to work there)

Try Debhnams (or another big department store), some of the ranges are good. Red Herring does some nice stuff but trying to get a soze 16/18 isnt always easy.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    or if you want to look online www.simplybe.co.uk or www.classicconfidence.co.uk do nice stuff for larger ladies

Thanks - i think those links would actually be quite good for my mum so i will pass on
    xxx
  • Options
    In the bigger Tesco stores the clothes in one of the plus size ranges always look really nice, they start at a size 16. I can't remember the name of it though but it was really nice, it was disappointing it didn't come in smaller sizes.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    Simply be have some nice stuff but I'm nervous about buying dresses online, does anyone know if Anna Scholz is stocked in shops?
  • Options
    Yes - in Selfridges I belive - however thers is no way any of it would fit you your tiny no?