Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shin splints

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having had a rather sore shin for about 10 days I went to the walk in centre.

The nurse there suggested it was shin splints/tendonitis (think they are basicallly the same thing). The front lower half of my shin hurts, generally and in particular when I move my foot up and down, it seems to get slightly worse as the day progresses.

It started while I was walking in Scotland. Have a physio referral for Thursday morning so we shall see what they say. My brief trawl of the web has suggested that it's usually the kind of thing that serious athletes get (I'm not one), and can take a long time to go away.

Advice from the walk in centre for the meantime was to rest it, move around but no sport or excessive walking, ice for 15 minutes about 3 times a day and take ibuprofen on a regular basis.

Anyone got any experience of this or any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Some people say heat can help as well as ice, also when resting it try and keep it elevated.

Cushioned footwear can help when moving around and also help to prevent it in the future.

It's not just sport that can cause it having flat feet, high arches and even weakness in the leg mucles can make people more prone to it.
  • Options
    I have mild tendonitis in my right foot at the moment. Not sure exactly what happened, I was putting some equipment back at the gym and felt a small 'pop' :sour: One of my consultants teaching me thinks I'm hypermobile which may have had something to do with it.

It's much better now that when it first happened (about 8 weeks ago), I take either ibuprofen or diclofenac when it gets a bit inflammed, then I put some ice on it, elevate and rest when I can.

The jury is out on putting ice/heat on it. I think the general consensus is to not put heat anywhere near a new injury.
  • Options
    Annoying thing is that I can't remember doing anything to it.

It was just the right one, and that's been going on about 2 weeks now, and the left one has become sore over the weekend. :banghead:

I have recently turned over a new leaf and started doing reasonable amounts of exercise and now have to stop.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    The jury is out on putting ice/heat on it. I think the general consensus is to not put heat anywhere near a new injury.

I agree :yes: . Forgot to put that in my post :blush:

Ice is most effective in the acute stages, whereas heat may be more effective later on.
  • Options
    Well, so far if I don't do anything other than basic walking around, in shoes with good support, and take lots of ibuprofen and ice it regularly then it seems to be under control.... (Well I can drive again)

Will let you know what the physio says.