Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mmu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just wondering if you have any experiences of living in halls on the All Saints Campus at Manchester Met Uni? Are they secure? etc.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Cambridge halls are really nice if it's those you're talking about. I haven't heard of any probs security wise with any of the halls. All Saints campus is really convenient for night life as well...have fun!
  • Options
    Yeah I went on an open day but couldn't remember which ones had the 24 hour security!
  • Options
    Erm... given my somewhat limited time in halls last year before circumstances meant I couldn't continue, there's not a huge amount I can say about this. I was living in somewhere called Briarfields. I was very impressed by the hall, and yes, they did have 24 hour security. All you had to do was use the landline supplied in your room, press 0 and one of the security guards (they all carry mobiles with them) would answer it, and deal with problems. The only downside was that the main office for Briarfields, which is also shared by Oxford Court down the road, is only open during office hours, Monday to Friday.

All Saints is a very good campus, and it's a much better university than I have given it credit for in the past. I have a close friend who lives in Deansgate in Manchester, (it's to the west of the city centre) she's always telling me that the nightlife in the city centre is phenomenal, and from the limited amount of that I've experienced, I'd have to agree. However, I'm not really going to university for social reasons, so I can't say much more than that.
  • Options
    http://www.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/manchester/mmu-halls.php is the website with the details of all the halls of residence. It says that all of them have 24 hour security so you've nothing to worry about whichever you apply to!
  • Options
    I just don't know whether to apply for Cambridge halls or cavendish. Hmm. I'll work it out :)
  • Options
    The flat feel of Cambridge is quite nice, but if you don't get on with the others in your flat it can be a little isolated...Cambridge are the nicest halls and usually get filled up very early on. Cavendish I believe is more typical halls feel...having study bedrooms of corridors (I may be wrong here...never knew anyone who lived there).

You get a lot of flat parties going on in Cambridge....which were always great fun. I'd def try and get a 10 person flat if you apply there. Although if you aren't after the typical student life style then perhaps that isn't right for you.

They are next door to each other so location wise you don't gain anything whichever you go for.

If you're worried about money at all I think the £12 a week you save on Cavendish might sway me to choosing them if I'm honest - thats probably half your food bill each week paid for just on saving rent!

Do you still have to choose a 1st and a 2nd choice of accommodation? Could you not put them both down or is that one of the restrictions? I seem to remember being torn between the 2 but got allocated some down in fallowfield which is why I then went to private halls and stayed in the student village.

End of the day there isn't much to choose between either of those 2 halls - you'll be fine whichever you go for and the sooner you decide the more likely you are to get your preference.