Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The seven original stories/plots

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Leading on from one of my other posts, I read ages about the theory that all stories derive from 7 basic plots. I've track down two versions of this theory but I'm pretty sure that the article I read was different and gave examples as well. ie one of them was Romeo & Juliet which was seen as the basis for any love story involving two people from different backgrounds eg Grease.

Does anyone know the rest?

The two versions I've found are these:

[wo]man vs nature
.[wo]man vs man
.[wo]man vs. the environment
.[wo]man vs. machines/technology
.[wo]man vs the supernatural
.[wo]man vs. self
.[wo]man vs God/religion

.Overcoming the monster
.Rags to riches
.The quest
.Voyage and return
.Comedy
.Tragedy
.Rebirth
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm - the second list of examples look to be related to Joesph Campbell's Hero with a 1000 faces work. I wouldn't necessarily see them as a constructive list of all story ideas. Rebirth for example can be such an important mythic point in a 'Voyage and Return' story and comedy or tragedy really relates to the tone of a tale, not it's basic plot (overcoming a monster could either - for example).

The straight dope page isn't a bad link - which basically shows how it's a bit of an urban legend that '7' is an authorative number (allow it's something you hear a lot)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/001124.html

Main point is though - it don't matter if there's 2, 20 or 200 as long as people enjoy yours :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :thumb: