Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Contingency Plan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I'm nearing the end of my degree (whoop!) and I will soon have a BA in journalism. Although I'm working part-time as a sub-editor, have a couple of internships coming up and have applied for a feck load of jobs I'm still worried that the time will come and I will be of the great unemployed.

Thus I think it's necessary that I make some sort of contingency plan for full-time work after I graduate.

My idea is get some sort of full-time job to pay the bills and eat whilst continuing to freelance and do my internships in my own free time whilst still applying to every reporter/features role I can get my grubby mitts on.

The thing is what sort of job should I get? I do not want to be earning by the hour, I am sick to death of retail, entertainments, jobs masquerading as PR when it's glorified flyering, waitressing, cloakroom blah blah call centres... chugging etc. I want something salary based, no worrying about making "targets" and something that isn't so taxing/mind-numbing I feel like topping myself in a contraption made out of a kettle, photocopier and expense sheets.

Any ideas what a trained journalist could do for full-time work? I've got great people skills, excellent grammar and spelling, wonderful phone manner, good knowledge of media law (though sadly not enough to be a lawyer) and many other fabulous skills.

What would I be cut out for do you reckon?

(P.S. Fingers crossed I don't have to do any of this and I get a fabulous journalism job that pays me squillions so I can do what I want... however this seems unlikely)

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey StarCrossed,
    Based on your experience and determination I have little doubt that you will be able to get a decent job in journalism and so it's quite hard to suggest something interesting that wouldn't divert your attention away from your dream.

Having said that, maybe you could look out for editorial assistant jobs, listings editor roles, research assistant roles? And be sure to sign up for job alerts selecting headings relevant to your interests. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks Helen! I've been looking at editorial assistant roles today actually and it seems like something I could definitely do. There was a girl that I remember working as an editorial assistant at one of my work experience placements and she ended up winning some massive award for her freelance journalism. She got snapped up by some big publication after that.

I have no doubt either that I should be able to get a job however there's a couple of things preventing me from getting a trainee reporters role (No NCTJ qualifications, I don't do teeline and I'm kicking myself for it now and no drivers' license).

I'll keep trying however! Thanks!
    X