Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting no help for dissertation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It kind of goes something like this....

- Dissertation classes/appointments are for Fridays
- I don't realise and usually work Friday, but bump in to lecturer
- Lecturer says to Email him and he can see me on a Friday morning

This was late February. We had no support classes before that.

- A few Emails later, still no reply. I go to see module leader as I now have Tuesdays off work which is the only time she is in
- Still no reply from his Emails
- She tells me that he is not available this week, next week he is between the hours of 11-1pm for support... But we have to go to Waterloo to see him (we are 20 minutes out on a train). Dissertation deadline is a month.

In short, whilst I can get an extention for learning difficulties, I am very pissed off because he has been so shit to us.

Last year, he did the same with our extended essay.

I don't think he should be supporting students at all.

Sorry... Just had to vent. I already have considerable difficulty reading being dyspraxic and also work two jobs. He is being paid to support students and I really need the help. I am currently working under my own steam, not knowing if what I am doing is Ok.

Grrrrr
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Fucking asshole by the sounds of it!

Don't know what to say but just to try and track him down.
  • Options
    maybe phone him?
  • Options
    That sounds really slack, no where near the level of support you ought to be getting, gah!
  • Options
    Sounds pretty shit, you have my sympathies I was doing mine this time last year.

First tip: If possible is there a welfare/student counsellor person you could speak to, it could be useful at this stage to have your concerns at least logged. This could be useful if your eventual marks are on a borderline, it shows you have made major efforts to contact this person and you could argue that the lack of support affected your work.

Also keep copies of your emails as proof.

Second tip: Spend less time on here :p

Good luck with the diss :thumb:
  • Options
    Ta guys... I'm around 1000 words in and have 4 more weeks to finish it (without extention).

Gonna work like a mofo and treat myself to an evening out at the end of the week.

Fuck my university... I hate it so much, everything else is sweet but \i get depressed if i think about how much I hate it...

But I just need one more 2:1 grade and I can never have to look back at the shithole again
  • Options
    How are you getting on hun? Set yourself mini-targets and mini rewards for each target hit, and make a timetable so you can see that you're getting there.
  • Options
    Can you not ask for someone else to be your supervisor?

Mind you it might be a bit late now -but when i did mine i set up meetings with 3 lecturers and then decided which to work with on the basis of which one was nicer - even though another was doing more interstingwork but was a bit arrogant
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    How are you getting on hun? Set yourself mini-targets and mini rewards for each target hit, and make a timetable so you can see that you're getting there.

It is going bad... I am trying my best, but because I have two jobs and perople keep on asking me to do stuff I literally have a struggle finding time to study.

I have to not think about it because when i get stressed, my dyspraxia gets really bad and I can't even think.

I am so fucking angry I have paid all of this cash for a course and this is the second time out stupid tutor has messed us around. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Still, no point getting angry. I shall hopefully have 2000 words by tomorrow... then a night off, then am gonna hole myself in the library until its done. At least I get an extension if I need it.

I need one more 2:1 grade to get an over all 2:1 on my course btw... But I want at least a 2:1 on my dissertation. My life is over if I don't get a 2:1 on my degree.
  • Options
    I can tell you're panicking *relaxing focussing thoughts* your way.

Stick up for yourself, prioritise, pull sickies at work if need be, badger your lecturer. Maybe apply for an extension in advance to take the pressure off, so you know it's there and in place if you do end up needing it.
  • Options
    I have checked my module guide...

Students are supposed to have had 12 dissertation building modules and 24 one to one sessions.

So much for this. I'm going to my student union tomorrow to try and get some action taken, as I am really struggling and want something to go with my dissertation to say that the reason it is so bad is that my lecturers are too fucking lazy to see me.
  • Options
    24 one to ones!