Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is this allowed?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I start a new job on sunday at Julien Garvey the health food shop and I'll be doing just saturday afternoons and all day sunday. But from 3pm on saturdays and all my shift sunday I'll be on my own..no one else working with me at all. I didn't think this was allowed?!

So I have to open up, lock up and cash up on my own :nervous: :( . I'm not looking forward to this as I've never done it before, I'm shit at counting money and also I'll be so board on my own :crying:. I'm not even getting any extra for it just the minimum wage too :(
I thought there had to be two people when cashing up to make sure all the money is accounted for?! We used to do this at Early Learning and pretty much everywhere else I've worked.

I'm poo when it comes to responsibility :rolleyes:

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Everywhere I've worked there has 2 be at least two people in the office due to Health & Safety. Sounds like a con to me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote: »
    Everywhere I've worked there has 2 be at least two people in the office due to Health & Safety. Sounds like a con to me.

:yes: Where I work your supposed to have two people on every team but there normally enough people around first/last thing for it to not be to important. Being asked to cash up on your own is never advisable, especially if your new to the job.
    Call me paranoid, but be very warey of cashing up on your own, as ive known (mainly in the nightclub trade) that when managers get less senior staff to cash up on their own, any mistakes the manager made, get passed on effectively.
    It doesn't sound right at all. When I used to work in a shop, we normally had at least two people on at any one time - a manager/supervisor, and then a cashier or similar. Jobs such as cashing up tills are normally left to those at supervisor level and above, so any attempt to get you to do it yourself should be viewed with great suspicion.

It's very similar in the arcades. When our change machines run empty, they are nearly always filled up by the manager and no one else. Only in very rare circumstances are they filled by a supervisor. No one else does it, simply because of the sheer level of money and responsibility involved, and I would flatly refuse if I was ever asked to do it. If I lost company money whilst working, I could be sacked.
    Ive worked in off licences on my own and had to cash up at the end of the day/night

don't think it's illegal as such but probably not advisable if youve never done it before
    and if you've never done it before, why are they letting you do it on your own straight away anyway?
    ETA: my friend works in like a juice bar thing on a saturday and she's on her own, opening up, closing, counting money so i'd say it is allowed? but as i said, if you've never done it before it's odd you'll be doing it so soon...
    Kat_B wrote: »
    and if you've never done it before, why are they letting you do it on your own straight away anyway?
    ETA: my friend works in like a juice bar thing on a saturday and she's on her own, opening up, closing, counting money so i'd say it is allowed? but as i said, if you've never done it before it's odd you'll be doing it so soon...

It's not straight away I have this sunday and wednesday for training then I am on my own :(. I'll go crazy being on my own for 6 hours :crazyeyes

It's going to be a pain as I'll be worrying all the time that I've shut up properly and I've cashed up right.

What am I meant to do for lunch and if I need to loo if I'm on my own for like 6 hours?! Am I meant to leave the shop empty while I go the loo :confused: . Surley they can't deduct my dinner hour from my pay as I actually won't be having one :no:
    The way the woman said it yesterday there is only ever one person at a time, apart from 2 hours when shifts cross at around lunch time during the week.

Hopefully I'll hear from other jobs I've applied for and this isn't long term.
    How will you wee?!
    How will you wee?!

I know thats what I'm most worried about :nervous:

I already have a bladder the size of a pea :crying:
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I start a new job on sunday at Julien Garvey the health food shop

Julien Garvey or Julian Graves? :confused:
    Teagan wrote: »
    Julien Garvey or Julian Graves? :confused:

It's Graves :blush:

For some reason I keep thinking it's Garvey :rolleyes:

My memory is shocking!
    Hehehe ... no worries - just didn't want you turning up at the wrong place. :)

The Julian Graves shops that I have ever gone to are relatively quiet, so hopefully you won't be too stressed out on your own. But having all that responsibility for just the minimum wage seems unfair.
    Haha! I knew I was onto the main reason for this. You can't be shutting up shop every time you need a pee, it's unprofessional!
    There is no ban on lone working (unless you're going down a mine or something similar) but there should be provisions in place for you to have your legally entitled breaks. And there should be sufficient provisions in place to make sure you are safe.