Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Footnotes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I know this is a rather stupid question :blush: but somehow I've managed to get through my academic life without ever having to use footnotes, and so I'm not really sure how they work! But now the time has come where I'm forced to use them in my coursework, and I'm pretty confused.

Just to check I've got it right: after a quote a number is inserted in smaller font, which then corresponds to a number at the bottom of the page, which has the reference for that source? The first footnote is [1] the second [2] and so on... starting again on each new page? And then, additionally there is a bibliography at the end of the essay that references all works used, not just the one's quoted from, in full?

I feel a bit stupid asking my tutor how to use footnotes because she presumes we all know! :blush:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know this is a rather stupid question :blush: but somehow I've managed to get through my academic life without ever having to use footnotes, and so I'm not really sure how they work! But now the time has come where I'm forced to use them in my coursework, and I'm pretty confused.

Just to check I've got it right: after a quote a number is inserted in smaller font, which then corresponds to a number at the bottom of the page, which has the reference for that source? The first footnote is [1] the second [2] and so on... starting again on each new page? And then, additionally there is a bibliography at the end of the essay that references all works used, not just the one's quoted from, in full?

I feel a bit stupid asking my tutor how to use footnotes because she presumes we all know! :blush:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footnote

you are welcome.
    Same myself, i've never really used footnotes but i think i'll have to start now with my final essays coming up.

Thanks strubbleS
    Check your year/course/dissertation handbook for your department's referencing conventions, that should tell how they'll want to see it. What subject are you doing?
    why do you suddenly have to start using footnotes and what were you using before, in line referencing?
    How can you go through uni without using footnotes? Surefire way of losing lots of marks on your essays.
    we never had to use footnotes at uni... we used the harvard system.
    Kat_B wrote: »
    we never had to use footnotes at uni... we used the harvard system.

Heretics! :p
    never used footnotes, you lucky person :(
    BlackArab wrote: »
    never used footnotes, you lucky person :(

But a piece of work isn't proper academic if there isn't some form of referencing. The reader needs some way of knowing it isn't all bullshit :P