Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Saturday April 19th live on Setanta Sports.

I can't bloody weight for this fight. Calzaghes stepping up to light heavyweight, and its his first fight in the States against the 43 year old Executioner.

Joe Calzaghe

Age..............36
Total fights....44
Wins.............44
Wins by KO....32
Losses............0
Draws.............0
No contests.....0

Bernard Hopkins

Age..............43
Total fights....54
Wins.............48
Wins by KO....32
Losses...........4
Draws............1
No contests....1

Oscar De La Hoya predicts that that Calzaghe will lose.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I hope Calzaghe wins, he's by far the best boxer this country has. It's a dubious fight for him to take though - if he wins, the Americans will dismiss him as having beaten a has-been, and if he loses...well...he loses!
  • Options
    de la hoya runs golden boy with hopkins so he would say Calzaghe will lose!! I expect it to be a messy fight, with Hopkins realising pretty quick he cant match joe's workrate and he will try and spoil the fight with holding, rabbit punches etc..... but calzaghe to win on points.
  • Options
    Isn't 43 a bit old for a boxer, no?
  • Options
    he was the unified champion about 3-4 years ago (i believe) so he can do it at that kinda age

looks highly like he's been ducking this fight for years, yet now the situation that spliffie described exists...
  • Options
    Hopkins is recognised as The Ring Magazine light-heavy champion which holds more weight than a lot of the alphabet belt organisations as there is no bias involved. Hopkins can fight effectively at his age because he lives the life of a fighter year round and doesnt let himself get out of shape, doesnt smoke, doesnt drink etc.

Neither one has been ducking the fight, its just got to the stage that its the best matchup at the moment.
  • Options
    Calzaghes from just up the road from me, at the end of the day Hopkins wouldn't fight him on his own turf, and Calzaghe had to go upto his weight. Hopkins is scared of Calzaghe and who wouldn't be, he beat one of the so called "best boxers" with one hand! not that im biased or anything ;). But seriously this guy doesn't get enough recognition for how good he actually is. Even if he is a bit of a knob. I hope he gives bernard hopkins a good fucking hiding anyway, hes a racist arsehole "ILL NEVER LOSE TO A WHITE BOY" I can't wait until Calzaghe smashes him one :P