Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

temper problem

I think I have a bad temper. When someone says something to me that winds me up (Whether they mean it or not) or I get angry, I seethe for ages and it can take nearly an hour to calm down.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anger management classes or get a punch bag. I recommend the latter.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    get a punch bag. I recommend the latter.

I have never agreed with the punch bag idea. Your keeping hold of violence and agression to deal with your anger ...what happens when no punchbag is available?
    Growing up helps ...in other words ...getting rid of the king baby syndrome and dealing with disapointments and upsets in life in a clam and mature manner.
    Punching a bag a pillow or a door ...is not very grown up.
  • Options
    Punch bag worked for me, and it saved me a fortune. Dealing with anger in the first place is better but I found it much better to kick the shit out of a punch bag rather than my TV, Laptop and such.
  • Options
    Growing up helps ...in other words ...getting rid of the king baby syndrome and dealing with disapointments and upsets in life in a clam and mature manner.
    Punching a bag a pillow or a door ...is not very grown up.

Oh no. I can deal with that easy enough. Its not the type of anger that I throw a tantrum if I don't get my way. I dealt with that ages ago.

More like if someone insults me or gets on my nerves I get wound up pretty quickly and I don't like it.
  • Options
    Oh no. I can deal with that easy enough. Its not the type of anger that I throw a tantrum if I don't get my way. I dealt with that ages ago.

More like if someone insults me or gets on my nerves I get wound up pretty quickly and I don't like it.
    Having a tantrum cos you didn't get your way ...dealt with.
    Having a tantrum cos someone says something you don't like ...not dealt with.
    How come i knew this was about tantrums?
  • Options
    Its not about tantrums really. I just don't actually say anything to the person or do anything after. I just don't like seething afterwards. I'd just like to calm down and not let it get to me as much as it does is all.
  • Options
    Its not about tantrums really. .

It was you who said it was ...you starting to seeth yet? Or would you be if we were talking face to face?
  • Options
    Nope. :)

If you mean this:

that was only an example of the king baby syndrome you described, as I thought thats what you thought I did. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    Nope. :)

If you mean this:

that was only an example of the king baby syndrome you described, as I thought thats what you thought I did. If that makes sense.
    Yeah your making sense Jb ...what do you reckon sets you off ...what do you reckon triggers it?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Anger management classes or get a punch bag. I recommend the latter.

:yes: Punch bag. You can beat the shit out of it and it will help you focus your thoughts and get your stress out.
  • Options
    Personally, I have a punch bag

But on top of that, I have therapy

Anger is not good, I'm a right cunt at times and sometimes I really lose it, or like you said, something can be said/done and it can really really rile me and I end up just thinking "fuck it" on the principle

I have CBT to try and deal with it, before I really fuck my life up, things going good so far

Good luck mate, keep us posted.
  • Options
    It always impresses me that people can own up to these kind of problems in life. The good thing about this place ...and it's purpose ...is you can be anonymous but it still takes courage to open up.
    I remember Star galaxy first arriving here and he had problems just going out ...having talked to you lot ...he now works and travells and stuff.
    I still don't believe punching things to be the right way of dealing with anger.
    Your still being agressive ...violent even.
    I'd recomend drugs and or meditation.
  • Options
    drugs lol, i got the bag to hit so I dont have to use drugs!!!

It's not childish temper tantrums usually either, well I don't think so. Like the other day, we were all stuck in traffic in a local town, and an ambulance comes through, so we all move, the ambulance passes and some chav two cars behind me screeches through with the ambulance, nearly hits my car and him and his two mates are having a good laugh on the way past.

So when I drove past him towards the light I mouth the words "fucking twat" to him, obviously when we got to the lights, he thought he would be the big man in front of his mates and see me in shirt and tie probably thought I was a bit soft and try and have go.. I just told him straight he was a twat, and told him why, and he said I was "boring him" and put his window up

In other words he was a pussy and a bully

His mates were even embarassed trying to hide their faces from me

It was pathetic

But yeah when I started talking I ended up shouting and shaking, but for me, that was a success, two years ago I probably would of got out and ripped his wing mirror off and used it to destro his car.. so ive come along well!! Lol
  • Options

Anger is not good, I'm a right cunt at times and sometimes I really lose it, or like you said, something can be said/done and it can really really rile me and I end up just thinking "fuck it" on the principle

This is what I've got. Minus the fuck it depending on whats happened. For instance, if someone says something to try and annoy me on purpose, I just think "you fucking prick" for like an hour afterwards. A more recent example is when Im playing video games with a mate and hes telling me what to do while playing I really get wound up quick.
  • Options
    drugs lol, i got the bag to hit so I dont have to use drugs!!!

It's not childish temper tantrums usually either, well I don't think so. Like the other day, we were all stuck in traffic in a local town, and an ambulance comes through, so we all move, the ambulance passes and some chav two cars behind me screeches through with the ambulance, nearly hits my car and him and his two mates are having a good laugh on the way past.

So when I drove past him towards the light I mouth the words "fucking twat" to him, obviously when we got to the lights, he thought he would be the big man in front of his mates and see me in shirt and tie probably thought I was a bit soft and try and have go.. I just told him straight he was a twat, and told him why, and he said I was "boring him" and put his window up

In other words he was a pussy and a bully

His mates were even embarassed trying to hide their faces from me

It was pathetic

But yeah when I started talking I ended up shouting and shaking, but for me, that was a success, two years ago I probably would of got out and ripped his wing mirror off and used it to destro his car.. so ive come along well!! Lol
    :D Ya fucking loon! Thats what i call justifiable anger.
    One day a seven and a half tonner cut me upas jhe overtook me on a blind bend ...now i know he can see over the hedges and knows nothing is coming the other way but he has rattled my cage. I watch him driving like a maniac ...overtaking in very dangerous places and when he had almost forced three on coming cars into the ditch ...i blew.
    I went after him ...all the way to his next drop.
    he turned down a dead end to a hotel ...when i get there he is standing on his tail lift ...i jumped out the car and flung myself onto the lift and dragged him into the back of his truck ...banged his head against the sides a few times and toldd him ...if i ever saw him driving like that again in my area ...where my family lives ...i'd castrate him.
    I left him wimpering in his truck ...the wife was livid ...she nearly castrated me ...this was a few years back ...i'm a nice gentle guy now.
    So ...don't use a punch bag ...find a trucker you can throttle.
  • Options
    Burn off some energy and look at your diet.

Food additives can affect people.
  • Options
    :D Ya fucking loon! Thats what i call justifiable anger.
    One day a seven and a half tonner cut me upas jhe overtook me on a blind bend ...now i know he can see over the hedges and knows nothing is coming the other way but he has rattled my cage. I watch him driving like a maniac ...overtaking in very dangerous places and when he had almost forced three on coming cars into the ditch ...i blew.
    I went after him ...all the way to his next drop.
    he turned down a dead end to a hotel ...when i get there he is standing on his tail lift ...i jumped out the car and flung myself onto the lift and dragged him into the back of his truck ...banged his head against the sides a few times and toldd him ...if i ever saw him driving like that again in my area ...where my family lives ...i'd castrate him.
    I left him wimpering in his truck ...the wife was livid ...she nearly castrated me ...this was a few years back ...i'm a nice gentle guy now.
    So ...don't use a punch bag ...find a trucker you can throttle.

HAHAHAHA that's a good story

As you said, justifiable anger!! That's the only one I can't control at the moment

I have more stories but I don't want to give them all at once haha

Maybe on the weekend ;)
  • Options
    I would reassess the situation. You can't control other people's behaviours and whether they are a twat so I guess what I'm trying to say is if you can't control something..why stew over it? :) this helps me sometimes
  • Options
    I would reassess the situation. You can't control other people's behaviours and whether they are a twat so I guess what I'm trying to say is if you can't control something..why stew over it? :) this helps me sometimes

never really looked at it that way. :chin: