Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cooking Salmon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to make a salmon caesar salad tonight but I'm a bit scared of cooking the salmon as I've never really cooked fish before! Except for ones with instructions on the packet! I'm scared of under or over cooking it!

I've been recommended to wrap it in foil and cook it in the oven but my oven is sooo temperamental and the temperatures are not what they say they are (e.g. 12 min pizza took 25 mins). My grill is equally shit so thats not an option. I'm a bit worried about frying in case the middle is still raw! Help!

Which way is best? How can I be sure its done without over cooking it! Le stress

Comments

• Options
    Microwave! Plate, fish, pepper, dash of lemon juice, cling film, prick with fork to make holes, cook it in 1-2 minute bursts until cooked. Voila!

(My salmon comes in a pack you can microwave, in which case prick and follow the heating instructions :p)
  • Options
    overcooking salmon is way worse than undercooking IMO.
  • Options
    If you are using it in a salad I'd chop it up into chunks then fry it gently in a little olive oil, this should only take a few minutes and it will be easy to tell when its done.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If you are using it in a salad I'd chop it up into chunks then fry it gently in a little olive oil, this should only take a few minutes and it will be easy to tell when its done.

Plan!
  • Options
    You can also wrap it in tinfoil with spices and some lemon juice and stick that in a frying pan of water and it will have the same effect as in the over. About 20 - 25 minutes usually does it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    overcooking salmon is way worse than undercooking IMO.

Yea, I cooked mine in foil for 25 minutes at 200 the other day and it was slightly overcooked. I put tonnes of lemon juice on so it should have kept it moist but it was just a bit dried out. :(

I saw on saturday cooks or something they cooked it for about 10 minutes! It still looked really raw but was apparently lovely.
  • Options
    I chickened out and had quorn haha
  • Options
    I will have salmon right now, hubba hubba.
  • Options
    Nice salmon fillets ...grate ginger and garlic on to it ...put small bits of butter all over ...roast in hot oven for about twelve nmins ...fifteen at the most.