Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Everythings such a mess

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    if what you really want to do is the course at Northumbria, I'd be trying to get into that rather than doing an HND or something else that your heart's not really in. Could you for example, take a year out, get your 50 other ucas points by being in education part time? You could then spend the rest of your time building up other skills and whatnot so you had an absolutely stunning personal statement/portfolio (whatever you need...sorry not an artist!) for when you did apply.

It's also worth contacting the faculty to see if there's any room to manouvre re grades as sometimes they're prepared to be quite flexible. (Again, sorry, no idea about ucas points, but if it's remotely possible that they'll be flexible it's worth giving them a call).

Personally I would rather take a year out and then really fling myself into something I was passionate about than to go and do something half-heartedly. At the end of the day though, it's your decision. Best of luck :)
  • Options
    if what you really want to do is the course at Northumbria, I'd be trying to get into that rather than doing an HND or something else that your heart's not really in. Could you for example, take a year out, get your 50 other ucas points by being in education part time? You could then spend the rest of your time building up other skills and whatnot so you had an absolutely stunning personal statement/portfolio (whatever you need...sorry not an artist!) for when you did apply.

It's also worth contacting the faculty to see if there's any room to manouvre re grades as sometimes they're prepared to be quite flexible. (Again, sorry, no idea about ucas points, but if it's remotely possible that they'll be flexible it's worth giving them a call).

Personally I would rather take a year out and then really fling myself into something I was passionate about than to go and do something half-heartedly. At the end of the day though, it's your decision. Best of luck :)

What she said.

If I was in your position I would take a year before applying to uni and do an extra A-level in the evening whilst working full time/nearly full time in the day. That way you can meet the requirements for the course at Northumbria and get some money together for going off to uni as well :)
  • Options
    FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi, it sounds as if you have a number of options available, which is great but can make decisions harder. If you fancy it, it might be worth chatting to your local careers centre to see if they can make your options clearer and also give you an idea of some of the paths available to you if you want to be a buyer or something similar. You can find out where to get local advice using the finder in here
    Good luck I hope it all works out in whatever way that might be,

Fiz
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    If I was in your position I would take a year before applying to uni and do an extra A-level in the evening whilst working full time/nearly full time in the day. That way you can meet the requirements for the course at Northumbria and get some money together for going off to uni as well :)

:yes:

i think that this is your best option, if northumbria is what you want then do what it takes to get there, don't settle for something you don't really want to do just because you think you better had.
  • Options
    Your future

I think you need to feel more motivated before you make any serious choices that impact on your future. Think more about what is important to you, what you enjoy doing, what your potential skills are. It sounds as though you lack confidence, you could broaden your horizons and build your confidence by getting more life experience, travelling etc. If you really want to be a buyer, you could be, but you would have to be focused and work hard. Why don't you look into it a bit more.