Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

kippers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
for the last 3 weeks or so ive started my 'health kick' and im trying to get a lot more meat, veg and fish into my diet, and to do more exercise

at the moment im reeeally into fish!! and try to incoorporate some form of it into my diet every/every other day.
and right now ive just had a couple of kippers for lunch. yum :yum:
however i only had them on their own - no sauce, sides, bread or whatnot.

and i cant for the life of me think of anything that i can DO with them apart from eat them as they are.
does anyone know any decent recipes/sauces that I can do with them?
they have such a strong taste i dont know what i can do!

same question goes for other fish dishes i guess - anyone got any nice recipes that i can try? at the moment my selection of fish is quite limited (cod, haddock, salmon.. calimari) what other yummy fishes can people recommend to me?

:D thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't you find there's lots of bones? I like kippers but so many little bones!!
    Oh you can make like a pate/spread thing for sandwiches or toast. Or put it in kedgeree instead of haddock
    fish pie?

tuna steak, :yum:
    Smoked mackeral is an excellent fish, and its ecologically sound because its only ever line caught.

I recommend having it either in a stir fry, with minimal sauce, just a bit of soy sauce, some fish sauce and a dash of sweet chilli.

Or with pasta, olive oil, spinach, basil and pamarzian (how in gods name do you spell that?) cheese.
    I agree with the kedgeree suggestion, I love it :yum:
    Something to bear in mind - I heard smoked fish contain a lot of salt, so don't use them too much if you're going healthy
    budda wrote: »
    pamarzian (how in gods name do you spell that?) cheese.

:lol: Parmesan.

That sounds like a lovely recipe, I'm going to give that a go :yum:
    thanks for the suggestions guys!!
    ill bear them in mind!!

i made some kipper pate today and it was lush!!

im going to town soon with my mum and im going to go buy some mackerel:yum:
    ive probably tried it before but have no recollection! i have ingredients for stir fry in so i will probably try that!!
    soraliah wrote: »
    i made some kipper pate today and it was lush!!

:yippe: I helped!

Now tell me how to make it please cos I haven't got a clue! :razz:
    Whip up in a food processor some boned kipper fillet, butter and i'd suggest paprika and black pepper. It won't need salt, plenty in the kipper.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Whip up in a food processor some boned kipper fillet, butter and i'd suggest paprika and black pepper. It won't need salt, plenty in the kipper.

how do you bone them? there's so many little ones!
    No idea :) Recipe came of the top of my head, but that's usually the way you make a fish pate.

ETA TYPICAL. Just been on delia online and there's a kipper pate recipe with instructions on how to bone a kipper (oooo er :) ) but it's premium so you have to pay.
    Poo I dont want to pay
    my mum made mine for me :D my excuse is that i was too busy on here to do it!

as far as i know though, she mixed the kippers (fillets from thebag - have less/smaller bones so u can actually eat them without choking) then added some primula cheese (ya know thestuff in squeezy tubes) and a bit of pepper. then mixed it all up and hey presto!pate

she might have added something else, but.. i dont think so. didnt taste of nowt else anyway!!
    sorry im no help whatsoever :rolleyes: