Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

pot cooking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If i were to leave my electric fan oven on between 50-100 degrees while im at work all day, is that dangerous?

I'd like to be able to cook things like hotpots and stews slowly so its ready when i come home from work, as i do shift work and can't always be bothered to cook anything wholesome.

I also feel like it would give me more food options, as i dont like the tough/chewy texture of meat like beef and pork when its cooked quickly, and can't afford to buy quality lean meat, so cooking poorer meat slowly should produce a moist, tender result

Comments

  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Get a slow cooker :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Me three!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i had a feeling that might be suggested!

    can i just do the same thing but in the oven? The oven can do the same temperatures as the slow cooker
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wouldn't go out with a regular oven switched on with no-one there to check the house isn't burning down!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to cook things like hotpots and stews slowly so its ready when i come home from work, as i do shift work and can't always be bothered to cook anything wholesome.

    One solution might be to cook the food for when you have a late shift in advanced so you just have to re-heat it? (I mean like cook it the night before and put it in the fridge and then microwave it when you get home from work).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thats a good idea, especially if leaving the oven on is dangerous. I would need to be leaving it on for about 5 hours

    would i be able to re-heat the food in the oven?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote: »
    thats a good idea, especially if leaving the oven on is dangerous. I would need to be leaving it on for about 5 hours

    would i be able to re-heat the food in the oven?

    Depends on what you make, but yes. You can buy foil cartons like you get from takeaways to put stuff in, then reheat them from there. If you have a microwave, I buy TubIts to put stuff in as they're reusable, microwave, fridge, freezer and dishwasher safe and if you do reheat something in them and they go a bit manky then they are disposable too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote: »
    would i be able to re-heat the food in the oven?

    Yes. Or on the hob. Depending what it is. Pyrex dishes can be used to put in the oven and to store things in the fridge too so you could literally have it ready to go in the oven as soon as you get in. It takes a bit longer to re-heat in the oven than it does in a microwave or on a hob though but at least it saves you doing all the cooking when you come in all tired from work.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Not with and electric oven I wouldn't.

    I used to do the one pot meal in our oven but it's a gas Rayburn which is a lot less dodgy.

    Did buy a slow cooker the other month though and for 30 quid it's excellent.
    Weekender Offender 
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Depends on what you make, but yes. You can buy foil cartons like you get from takeaways to put stuff in, then reheat them from there. If you have a microwave, I buy TubIts to put stuff in as they're reusable, microwave, fridge, freezer and dishwasher safe and if you do reheat something in them and they go a bit manky then they are disposable too.

    That's the second recommendation for that this week :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's the second recommendation for that this week :p

    Yes, but I did mention the foil trays this time too :p
Sign In or Register to comment.