Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shin splints

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I'm really just wondering if anyone else has suffered from this or anything similar and if so then what you did to combat it other than rest?

I have been having problems with pains in my shins for about a year now, I have visited various websites for advice but nothing seems to help. I visited the doctor about 6 months ago and was told to basically rest for a while. I dont exercise an awful lot, I do play five/seven a side football usually 2 or 3 times weekly but dont really work myself otherwise. Initially I didnt heed the docs advice about rest but the pain gradually got worse until about 3 months ago I decided to stop playing football as it was becoming unbearable. I stopped playing for 2 months and admittedly during that time I did very little exercise. My first game back after rest was amazing, I had no pain whatsoever in my shins afterwards and it was such a relief. However gradually the pain has come back particularly in my right shin. I'm not 100% sure if what I have is shin splints but the signs point to that.

I'm really just at the end of tether, my fitness is poor and I want to improve. My preferred method of exercise would be to go out for a run or play football but both of these cause me too much pain and its highly frustrating. The weather has improved recently and I purchased a bike, would this possibly build up strength in my legs and help ease the pain? Do you think that because I dont do regularly exercise that when I play football I'm over exerting my legs? I love football and used to feel valued to the other guys, now I just feel like I'm letting down whoever is in my team as I cant perform to a decent level.

Any help is appreciated I just want some suggestions really as its getting me down.

Comments

• Options
    Definatly rest. Ice and elevate your leg also. But if it is hurting avoid too much exercise, especially football where alot of pressure is put on your legs, running, especially if the ground is hard. Shin splints can lead to stress fracturs which leads to crutches and in some cirmstances a big full leg cast. And thats not fun at all.

Make sure to stretch very well before exercise and try adding padded insoles to your shoes to soften the blow when you are running
  • Options
    The best thing you can do is see a good sports physio therapist to get a range of preventative and recovery excercises.

What I've seen work most often is calf raises. About 200 a day.
  • Options
    Ive got a shin splint on my left shin at the moment,canes when I run.
    As said calf raises help,swimming and cycling too to help strengthen your leg muscles.
    And the RICE method too.
    Not so easy when you've got to trek accross dartmoor in a certain ammount of time...

You in the Marines J?
  • Options
    rest. don't go running. and when you return to running, try not to run on hard surfaces like concrete if you can help it.