Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What should i do about this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On 11th March i accidently signed up for amazon prime (a yearly subscription of £49 that gives free delivery), when i accidently clicked on the "sign up" button there wasn't even a confirmation page as usual when purchasing things it just billed me instantly, and as my card details are already registered with them i was charged, without even being asked to confirm, needless to say i was very pissed off.

Anyway, i then went and read about it, and it says i can cancel my amazon prime account as long as i haven't ordered anything since signing up, which i havent, and that they will refund the full fee. So i applied to cancel my account giving the reason that i signed up in error. It said this could take UP TO 2 days.

Its now been 3 weeks and its still saying its "pending cancellation".

Im really hacked off! I want my £49 now, I am entitled to it.

I was thinking of giving them another week and if i've still not got my money then writing to them, but I have a feeling this will do no good as they are such a big company.

Can i do anything about this? Surely I should recieve more than £49 for having to wait this long for my own money back.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They normally tend to wake up a bit if you give them a buzz. 0208 636 9200 think its option 1?
  • Options
    i dont have a landline though and i dont see why i should have to use my phone credit to get back what im entitled to when its them publishing lies on their website
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I dunno. It was only an idea :blush:
  • Options
    sorry thank you im just pissed off cos £49 is alot to me and they stole it, stole it!! :(
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    i dont have a landline though and i dont see why i should have to use my phone credit to get back what im entitled to when its them publishing lies on their website

Whoa there pickle, they might not be aware of the glitch that's happened on your account as think of all the other customers they have, they can't always go and check every detail. Not to avodcate their lax approach to getting your money back, but you didn't need to leave it three weeks either.

Just phone them, and get them to reimburse your call also.

Kick up this much of a fuss but ONLY once you've explained the situation, they're more likely to listen if you're calm and collected to explain as to why you're calling, then unleash the fucking fury cause you'll have justified why you feel that way.
  • Options
    sorry thank you im just pissed off cos £49 is alot to me and they stole it, stole it!! :(

To be fair they didn't actually steal it from you, you pressed the button to sign up for Prime, even if it was an accident....

Have you checked the terms and conditions to see if there is a minimum period for them to refund it? Normally regular t&c say 28 days.
  • Options
    To be fair they didn't actually steal it from you, you pressed the button to sign up for Prime, even if it was an accident....

Have you checked the terms and conditions to see if there is a minimum period for them to refund it? Normally regular t&c say 28 days.

they did steal it though, they gave lack of information and its almost as if it was a trick, its common courtesy to have a confirm thing so the customer is fully aware that £49 is about to be taken from them

and yeh it says it can be cancelled at any time before a purchase

The annoying thing is, i've been wanting to buy things off there but cant till they refund this
  • Options
    How about just ring up and do something about it then?

If it said up to 2 days then why haven't you said anything, even an email after three weeks?
  • Options
    its not my duty to do their job for them, ive waited 3 weeks to see if they can do it by themselves

ive sent an email in complaint but have had no reply or action as of yet
  • Options
    they did steal it though, they gave lack of information and its almost as if it was a trick, its common courtesy to have a confirm thing so the customer is fully aware that £49 is about to be taken from them
    Are you talking about the bit where it says:

"Click the button below to start your Amazon Prime membership. We'll charge your credit card £49 for the next year and annually after that as long as you want to remain a member.

By clicking the button below, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions, and authorize us to charge the credit card above or another available credit card on file."

Cause if you are, then to be fair I can't see why you're getting so annoyed. There's even a bit below the "sign up" that say's "no thanks" and you can close the page on the top right hand corner. It might have been a mistake, but only because you didn't read the page properly rather than anything underhand Amazon did.

Like I said, check the t&c to see if there's a time limit on the return, but to be honest I don't think Amazon has done anything wrong in this case.
  • Options
    Yeah, you clicked it. Just had to have read the page.
    Infact, I'd be more pissed off if I was amazon and you were ringing and speaking in a shitty tone. It's your own fault.
  • Options
    its not my duty to do their job for them, ive waited 3 weeks to see if they can do it by themselves

ive sent an email in complaint but have had no reply or action as of yet

Well to be fair it is your fault, so to expect you to put in a bit of effort to sort it out isn't unreasonable.
  • Options
    i agree with the above, its not their fault you didnt read what you were clicking to agree to.

fair enough your refund should have gone through but you cant instantly expect them to recognise there is a problem with it. its like standing around in a supermarket expecting the checkout to know you are waiting for a refund.

saying they stole it is out of order.

do something about it!
  • Options
    Their customer service email thingy is quite good, have you tried that rather than just a generic email?
  • Options
    Yeah, it does sound like your fault. If it bothers you then you should ring them or send several emails. Personally I would have emailed about two weeks ago. If I'd made a mistake like that.
  • Options
    Its in their terms and conditions that they will refund within 2 days, so its not my fault they haven't done that, i dont understand why everyone is getting on their high horse! All i wanted to know is whether i can do something in addition to getting my money back as its not on to state they will refund within 2 days then it take over 3 weeks, and it states nowhere that the customer will need to chase them to get this.

They have lied, not me.

Everyone is acting like im demanding a refund when they haven't offered one!

And i havent spoke to amazon in a shitty tone, to whoever suggested that. Your in no position to judge how rude or non rude i am. I speak to people politely to people over the phone thank you
  • Options
    fair enough your refund should have gone through but you cant instantly expect them to recognise there is a problem with it. its like standing around in a supermarket expecting the checkout to know you are waiting for a refund.

no its like a supermarket offering a refund service within 2 days, me requesting one but them ignoring me for over 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Blah like you said all you want is a refund which states in their t&cs you can have back within 2 days, like someone else said though they might not realise that theres a problem so try contacting them by phone and see if they can give you some kind of bounty payment or reimburse your phonecall cost maybe?
  • Options
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    Blah like you said all you want is a refund which states in their t&cs you can have back within 2 days, like someone else said though they might not realise that theres a problem so try contacting them by phone and see if they can give you some kind of bounty payment or reimburse your phonecall cost maybe?

If i knew they would reimburse my phonecall cost then i'd ring them

I have send them an email via their website but heard nothing, do you think a letter would work?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If i knew they would reimburse my phonecall cost then i'd ring them

I have send them an email via their website but heard nothing, do you think a letter would work?

If you are going to spend 30p on a first class stamp and actually go through with the bother of writing a letter then I would just phone them. I know you have said that you have no landline phone and stuff but just swallow your pride and ring. It's a normal number - not high rate or owt.

Think of it this way, are you going to pay £2 for your initial mistake or £49 or whatever it is.
  • Options
    If you are going to spend 30p on a first class stamp and actually go through with the bother of writing a letter then I would just phone them. I know you have said that you have no landline phone and stuff but just swallow your pride and ring. It's a normal number - not high rate or owt.

Think of it this way, are you going to pay £2 for your initial mistake or £49 or whatever it is.

I've spent over £10 on calls to that sort of number before from my mobile, after being put on hold etc so its not really a matte rof pride. 30p for a stamp i can afford.

But yes i see your logic
  • Options
    0800 2796620

Call them on a fucking freephone number then.

Cost you nothing... and don't complain these calls aren't free from a mobile ... CALL FROM A PAYPHONE!

Took me 5 seconds to find this number. Why didn't you take some time to do so, instead of waiting 3 weeks, then getting in a strop on here.
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    0800 2796620

Call them on a fucking freephone number then.

Cost you nothing... and don't complain these calls aren't free from a mobile ... CALL FROM A PAYPHONE!

Took me 5 seconds to find this number. Why didn't you take some time to do so, instead of waiting 3 weeks, then getting in a strop on here.

thank you for the number, but im not in a strop your the one swearing at me not vice verser

Blimey, you ask for a bit of advice and just get people not listening, pointing blame and being rude instead.

I have no landline, a PAYG mobile, not much money and live in the middle of nowhere, so until i get into town i wont be able to use a payphone. i've waited 3 weeks to ask advice as i havent had time. Why am i explaining myself
  • Options
    You're welcome for the number :p
    I like swearing - makes me seem 'ard, on the net *smirk*
  • Options
    You can use my phone, I've signed up to a contract surplus to requirements (it was only £5 extra! :() and end up with £80 worth of credit left over every month :(. Just get a taxi to Leicester. Maybe more expensive again, though.

Whilst I understand you're upset, take a deep breath - I don't think amazon have stolen your money if you clicked the button. But I would have expected as a customer to have been refunded within 3 weeks, and if not I'd be asking why. Send them another online e-mail, I've done that before and usually <24 hour response. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks everyone, i sent another email today and they have finally done it, i was overlooked. They said 2 days before the money is in my account so we'll see :p
  • Options
    glad to hear that its sorted but have you any idea how petty and childish you sounded?

you won't phone them to check there isn't a problem issuing a refund for a mistake that you made in the first place but its all amazon's fault

you are the worst kind of customer in my opinion, the one who fucks up, doesn't bother asking when there is a problem and then rants and complains cos their mistake hasn't been rectified yet they haven't let the relevant people know there is more of a problem

/rant
  • Options
    FYI, for future reference, Amazon have a 'call me' facility and you can use it to call you at a convenient time - they ring you back, it rings for a couple of seconds, then you are connected to an advisor. It's free.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    glad to hear that its sorted but have you any idea how petty and childish you sounded?

you won't phone them to check there isn't a problem issuing a refund for a mistake that you made in the first place but its all amazon's fault

you are the worst kind of customer in my opinion, the one who fucks up, doesn't bother asking when there is a problem and then rants and complains cos their mistake hasn't been rectified yet they haven't let the relevant people know there is more of a problem

/rant

Well your entitled to your opinion, but it wasnt a matter of not wanting to ring them, its that i couldnt afford to. Considering they offer a full refund regardless of whether signing up was a mistake or not- i was not in the wrong and had not made a mistake by requesting my refund. Your making it sound like i was demanding something they didnt promise.

They were the ones saying the refund will take 2 days and they were the ones that didnt live up to this. I sent emails and it got rectified, therefore i did "bother" asking if there was a problem, and because of the actions i took the problem got rectified.

They were fully aware of their (yes their) mistake as i informed them. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that i signed up by accident.

so why dont you get your facts straight before talking out of your arse.

/rant.
  • Options
    FCUK it wrote: »
    FYI, for future reference, Amazon have a 'call me' facility and you can use it to call you at a convenient time - they ring you back, it rings for a couple of seconds, then you are connected to an advisor. It's free.

thank you, i'll keep that for future reference