Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Would I Be Wasting My Time Having My Monitor Looked At?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In June last year, I got myself a new computer. Since September, it's been constantly flashing. My brother has had a look at it and thought (like a few other people) it was related to the connections of the monitor.

My dad is thinking of sending it off and getting it looked at. However, I've had no problems with it since Saturday. However, I have no idea if it's going to start again soon. So, would it be a waste of time? I would have no PC if it was sent off, but can use my mum's laptop.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if it's some old crt monitor don't bother and trash it. excellent TFT monitors 20" and upwards are pretty cheap nowadays.
    Mine is a TFT 20".
    You already made a thread about this. Take the monitor back to the shop. It's less than a year old and clearly defective.
    Mist wrote: »
    You already made a thread about this. Take the monitor back to the shop. It's less than a year old and clearly defective.

I asked something else...
    Melian wrote: »
    I asked something else...

Yes you did, but it's irrelevant. You should be taking it back to the shop.
    I think the way to look it is as if you have three choices:

- Keep it, hope it doesn't break again. If it does... deal with it then.
    - Return it back to the manufacturer, spend £25, wait up to 6 weeks for the RMA process to complete and get a new monitor, in the meantime use your mums laptop
    - Take it back to the shop with the receipt, say it's faulty, get a new one in store

I mean, if it was me I know which I'd do, but it's up to you. Thing is, if it's already been a bit faulty - what happens if outside the warranty period it breaks again? You're stuffed and have to shell out for a new monitor...
    Yep, like I said in the other thread you should take it back to the shop. Even if it doesn't do it all the time, the fact is you've paid for a new monitor which should be in good working order for at least a few years, the fact it is on the blink less than a year after you've bought it isn't good enough.

I expect PC world are used to having loads of non-computer literate people taking their PCs in the minute they pop up with something the person doesn't recognise etc. so they certainly won't mind you bringing something back that appears to have the problem you've described. And as Shyboy said, better to get a new monitor now, get the problem sorted, rather than having it go wrong again further down the line and out of warranty or something.