Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Why Doesn't Postage & Packaging Come Under Warranty/Insurance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In June last year, I gave my mum some money to buy me a new computer, as mine was almost dead and I was recommended to get a biger monitor, because of the problems I have with my vision.

Anyway, since September, the monitor keeps flashing ramdonly for no reason. My brother has looked at it several times, thinking it was a loose connection or in some way related to the cables in the monitor.

Today, my dad phoned up PC World, (where we got the PC from) Packard Bell (computer make) and Viewsonic.(Monitor make) Not too sure which company said it, but apparantely, if we wanted it repaired, we'd have to pay £25+ to get it all sent off. Apparantely, this does not come under warranty or insurance. According to the website of one of the companies, it just says 'send off the base' and says nothing about having to pay all this money to send it off. (box/other packaging stuff, insurance, recorded delivery, etc)

Is there any reason why none of this comes under the warranty or the insurance? (which we're paying £9 a month for)

My dad is quite tempted to send them an email because there's nowhere online saying we have to pay for all this. He also said he's thinking of sending the monitor off without all the labels (fragile/handle with care) and other stuff and if it breaks, get them to send us a new one.

If it was only a couple of quid, then it wouldn't be a problem, but being that it's at least £25, it is.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's less than a year old. Take it back to the shop and get them to deal with it.
    Take it back to the shop.

And never buy anything that might you might need help with from PC World or Currys again.
    I've never had any problemswith anythin I've bought from PC World. Anyway, that wasn't what I asked about.
    Just take it back to PC world if that is where you bought it from. Ring them up and tell them what the problem is, they will usually book you into a time slot to take it in to your local store and get it looked at, then the guys ring you when they've found what the problem is/a solution.

I had a problem with mine and did exactly that - rang up PC world, it was still under the warranty, took it straight into store and they called me the next day (when they said they would), explained what the problem was, how they had fixed it, then I went in and picked it up. Straightforward and there were no charges.
    PC world will swap it there and then if within 12 months and a valid receipt.

no need for any extended warrenty or owt like that.

done it myself with a full system once.
    :yes:

Though in my experience if you're polite you can normally get stuff replaced by the manufacturers anyway. I think in this instance just take it to the shop as they have an obligation to replace it - they give you a new one and then it's their problem to take it up with their supplier / the manufacturer.
    Thanks guys. It does seem to be alright for now.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Melian wrote: »
    Thanks guys. It does seem to be alright for now.

whether it seems okish now is a bit irrelevant in my eyes.

If I had problems with it at all whilst it was under warranty, then I would take it back to the shop.

It WILL break again!

I dont have money to burn!