Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Just finished...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...reading all the POTW-Threads the search function delivers. There are some gems of hilarity that should be treasured in a best-of or something.

And I finally understand why RubberSkin has so many nominations/wins. He is one of the few who has the right to make gay jokes. I know I'd get a lot of stick for making gay jokes. Tells a lot about you people's humor :razz:

Man, just tricked myself in 2 hours of doing nothing, even tho I should be revising. Anyway.. if you have nothing better to do.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bored i take it? :p
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Bored i take it? :p

It was either glycolysis, citrate cycle and electron transport chain or old post of the week material. Apparently one won the upperhand over the other :P
    Mmmm i love a good glycolysis sarnie...
    You have far too much time on your hands...:rolleyes:
    Mmmm i love a good glycolysis sarnie...

If you can explain me what the shit is going on in the attached image, that would make up for the two hours I wasted. I know it looks like a sarnie, somehow, maybe you got a igniting idea.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    If you can explain me what the shit is going on in the attached image, that would make up for to the two wasted hours. I know it looks like a sarnie, somehow, but my professor seems to disagree.

Well thats simple .. the answer is ... BOLLOCKS!

Hm, now where you mention it. In the powerpoint slides of my professor there is a small legend under this pic saying (fig. 1.3. Bollocks).
    You just saved me a lot of hassle :p
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    ...reading all the POTW-Threads the search function delivers. There are some gems of hilarity that should be treasured in a best-of or something.

And I finally understand why RubberSkin has so many nominations/wins. He is one of the few who has the right to make gay jokes. I know I'd get a lot of stick for making gay jokes. Tells a lot about you people's humor :razz:

Man, just tricked myself in 2 hours of doing nothing, even tho I should be revising. Anyway.. if you have nothing better to do.
    I like Rubber ...he's a reet one.:thumb:

hahahaha!!

matt you do kerazy looking work..now do my essay :p
    hahahaha!!

matt you do kerazy looking work..now do my essay :p

I'd love to. Keep in mind that my essay may or may not force-exmatriculate you, and force-join you a school for the grammatically handicapped.
    your link finds nothing :p
    POTW is most likely rigged - notice it's always the same names that win it again and again? Helen, if you're reading this, where do I send the brown paper envelope full of £50 notes? :p
    xsazx wrote: »
    electron transport chain isn't really difficult though we've just finished it in the respiration unit and I've only jus turned 17

If you lay it out methodically the oxidisation/reduction jus alternates each time you move along one loop then the rest is easy to memorise

=/ or am I alone in that lol

nah, you are right, it's not that difficult, but without wanting to goof on you, I am fairly sure that you learned it on a much more basic level :) . I just picked out something out of everything I have to know for this exam. The respiratory Chain is just one out of two hundred questions you have to learn. I'm a chemistry student so I have to know everything in detail, like how all the relevant Coenzyms, DNA bases, fatties (trialcylglyceride, phosphoglyceride, sphingolipide) etc look like (structure formula) and it doesn't help that some of these molecules are fucking huge (like coenzyme A, FAD, . It's just a fucking lot to learn and you mix it up constantly .
    yup tell me about it, miss gave us sheet after sheet of them all and in the end I gave up trying to memorise it hehe brain overload atm hehe

the biochemistry book I borrowed from the library is so huge and bulky that it could eradicate a small country on impact if thrown out of a plane, hehe.

Glad that my body does all that crap without that I need to know about or control it...
    yup tell me about it, miss gave us sheet after sheet of them all and in the end I gave up trying to memorise it hehe brain overload atm hehe

can I be a pain in the bum and quiz ya on some of it :p

You know the products of each stage how many are the totals of each involved cause the more I look at it the more confused I become.

Glycolysis per molecule of glucose - 2ATP, 2 pyruvate, 2 x 2H, 2 x h2o

krebs cycle per molecule of glucose - 2ATP, 6 x CO2, 2 x FADH2, 8 x NADH2

so the total atp for substrate phosphorylation is 4?

then with oxidative phosphorylation (electron transport chain) you get 8 NADH2 producing 24 ATP and water

so total ATP would be 24 + 2 + 2 ??

cause I'm lost with all the links and products coming off my dodgey diagram lol

getting back at ya with that, lol.

You know I'm studying all that stuff in german, so I need to find the equivalent terms for it first :D

/e:
    I think you lost me there somehow. I never heard of NADH² (NAD+ can only accept one H+ and 2 electrons, lol), and your glycolysis bilance differs from mine (glycose + 2NAD+ + 2adp + 2Pi --> 2 pyruvate + 2nadh + 2h+ + 2atp + 2h²o)
    I can tell you however that the total amount of ATP produced by glycolysis + citric acid cycle + oxidative phosphorylation ranges from 30 to 38 molecules ATP per molecule of glucose (as suggested by wikipedia. Wiki is fabulous regarding biochemistry. It seems a lot of professors put their work up there. Really recommendable, even by my own Prof.), or 30-32 (my notes / books).

You need to have a good grasp on thermodynamics to understand why, but let's just say it's 4 ATP that is created in the process of glycolysis and acetyl-CoA-oxidation in the citric acid cyclus directly and it's in total 10 NADH and 2 FADH² that are created. Those reduction equivalents are re-oxidized in the respiratory chain in an exergonic (energy is set free) reaction. The amount of energy that is set free per molecule NADH is enough to create 2,5 molecules of ATP (and 1 molecule of FADH² for 1,5 molecules of ATP). Actually more energy is set free, but alas, just like everything in this world you can't use all of this energy flawlessly (efficiency factor of 68% if I recall correctly). Hope I did not confuse you now.
    To clever for me this thread ...see some of you look quite dumb at times ...and your not realy are you!
    my brain hurts.....
    NADH2 comes in from the pyruvic acid (from glycolysis) and coenzyme A enters whilst NAD is transfered into NADH2 (it's reduced) which then moves into the electron transport chain with acetyl coez A

Alright, just found it on wikipedia. NADH² is just another abbreviation for NADH. Means the same.
    miss has then said the total ATP from oxidative phosphorylation is 8 x 3 = 24 (8 pairs of H from TCA removed by NAD), 2 x 2 = 4 (2 pairs of H from TCA removed by FAD), 6/4 (from glycolysis depending on the carrier thats used) giving either 32/34 ... which agrees with yours

I can type if off for you where the NADH is coming from tomorrow. bit too drunk now.
    then going on the chemiosmotic theory (during oxidative phosphorylation) you've got the hydrogen atoms removed from the substrates at various point in glyc and krebs to reduce the NAD and FAD to NADH2 and FADH2 ... the whole h2 atom is initally passed from carrier to carrier on the elements of the electrong transport chain on the stalked particles of the inter mitochodria membrane .... but between coenzyme Q and cytochrome B only the electron is passed along

yea... I got that. It's those 4 big enzyme complexes in the mitochondria membrane, there are other molecules partakting too, like ubichinone. Dunno if you got any question there lol, but the reoxidizing of NADH and FADH² brings enough energy for the ATP-ase to produce ATP.

hmmm can't work out where the 2NADH is from though as not in my notes/diagram???
    The NAD+ is reduced to NADH at glycosis at the Glycerinaldehyd-3-phosphate-dehydrogenase, going from Glycerinaldehyde-3-phosphate to 1,3-Bis-phosphoglycerat (you need to draw off the H+ at the Carbonylgroup to add PO4³-).
    teachers a pain in the neck our notes contradict all over the place, but found that now
    don't get me started.

Pretty impressive that you're mastering that all at age 17. If I remember correctly with 16 I held my first pencil and with 17 I started to write MIMI LIKES MAMA. I think we should go find a quiet corner and start to vigorously make out.
    don't mind me, I'm drunk.
    Geeks.
    I am sooooooooooo glad I am not at school any more...!!
    g_angel wrote: »
    I am sooooooooooo glad I am not at school any more...!!

yeah, and sometimes I think, "Instead of working, I keep doing that voluntarily and even pay for it!" :chin:
    Just be glad that your body does all that crap itself without you needing to understand it :D
    It's actually pretty interesting if you understand the chemical/mathematical side of digesting a sarnie, tho not necessary to know "ugh, this thing robs me a day of my life.", or to understand what chemical processes are causing cancer etc.

anyway.
    hehe bless ya :p I'll go think about it when I've got my notes to slot in with it - thankyaaa
    do so quick, otherwise my wife will catch us!

If you still need to know where that NADH is coming from, give me a shout...