Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How can we fix UK Asylum policy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Based on this story, the BBC have your say are having this discussion.

Feel free to click on readers recommended... every time I do, I find that people are more narrow minded and mis-informed than ever I thought possible. (as a reference to the big ben thread, i think that "have your say" is further evidence that people are easily led)

So, how can we fix it? Should we really only be taking people wanting to escape France or Ireland as one person said? Should we close doors to fix everything? Or are they completely retarded?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Give them the right to work while they're here. That'd be a start.
    Burning the HQ of the S*n, Daily HateMail and Daily Express would be a great start...
    Treating them like human beings would be a good start.

Would should check their claims, and there should be grounds for them to stay. But there really isnt any excuse for the way it is run now where people end up on the streets with nothing.

I'm not suggesting its a good idea, but we could give all 24,000 of the applicants citizenship and not really notice the cost.
    They'd be stealing our jobs!
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

And the 800,000 Eastern Europeans didnt already?

There isnt a finite amount of jobs, if I get a job that very rarely means you are less likely to get one yourself, in most cases it makes it more likely for you.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

By "our" do you mean all the lazy little shits who would rather live a life on benefits than work, but still need something to blame as the reason that they "can't get a job?"
    Yeah, they wouldn't be stealing my jobs, I'm going to go ahead and guess that anyone claiming asylum doesn't have an engineering degree that's IMechE accredited.
    In reality they will probably end up doing a job they are massively over qualified for.
    I know a plasterer who's got and engineering degree. He's a great plasterer, but massively over-qualified nevertheless. Probably makes more being a great plasterer anyway, but he came here as an economic migrant (which I recognise is different) but no-one him wanted as an engineer.
    Asylum seekers: Der-dekka-jers!
    Basically the France or Ireland debate is a good one, an "Asylum Seeker" should technically go to the next safe country, and im sure this isn't britain in a lot of cases, I think that we should adapt the same sort of policy as Australia, if they have a skill then they should be more than welcome to come to our country :)
    You're thinking of immigrants, that's not the same thing.
    Britain used to take anyone fleeing war zones and conflicts, even after WW2. Changed sometime round in and around the Thatcherite era, you could even argue that Western countries have abandoned the policy of non-refoulement which is written into the Geneva Convention.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Britain used to take anyone fleeing war zones and conflicts, even after WW2. Changed sometime round in and around the Thatcherite era, you could even argue that Western countries have abandoned the policy of non-refoulement which is written into the Geneva Convention.
    And the the biggest irony of it is that we have created many of those refugees in the first place.
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    I think that we should adapt the same sort of policy as Australia,

Good plan, stop them landing and watch them die on their boats. Its the humane way forward.

I'm not sure we did - the British may have had some of the more liberal views on letting in Jews from Hitler, but it let in only a tiny fraction (most of them children). And it's hard to say we were that liberal when we rounded up Ukranians and sent them back to the tender mercies of Uncle Joe (not that I have that much sympathy for them).

Up until Bosnia the number of refugees coming to this country was miniscule - the odd Soviet defector, a few Vietnamese escaping from the tender mercies of Hanoi.

But that changed with Bosnia (under Major) when suddenly a major European war at the same time as cheap and safe air and sea travel allowed refugees to flee further than their neighbouring state. At which point all European states tried to do as little as they could - either for Bosnia or the refugees - through a mixture of moral cowardice and a refusal to take any responsibility for the difficulties.

Even now, we're probably as good as anyone else in Western Europe on refugee and asylum - but most of the people travelling in are economic migrants not refugees or those facing real persecution.

The report actually says two things 1) we're sending away real cases and 2) we're not deporting those who don't have a real case
    The Independent Asylum Commission, led by an ex-senior judge, said the system denied sanctuary to some in need and failed to remove others who should go.

This seems to suggest we need to look at changing the criteria and having a tougher process for returning those who fail.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Give them the right to work while they're here. That'd be a start.

This. Then they don't have to work illegally.

Also maybe some better checks on those coming in (criminality, etc).

Also generally help out those coming in to stop them getting into the gang leader slave labour thing. Helping those who are in it out, also crack down on those running these gangs.

Generally, stop the abuse of illegal immigrants, get better results.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »

(criminality, etc).

also crack down on those running these gangs.

It is a seriously difficult thing to come down on gangs/organised crime.
    Can you show me where such types of politicaly motivated crackdowns have worked?
    Organised crime can pull off deals worth millions ...in a matter of seconds in the same alley way they just snubbed out a life ...and then calmly walk away. Unseen and unknown. Often in the people smuggling biz there will be a handful of people involved ...often a family and friends setup.
    It's a good headline grabber but thats about all.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »

Also maybe some better checks on those coming in (criminality, etc).

Also generally help out those coming in to stop them getting into the gang leader slave labour thing. Helping those who are in it out, also crack down on those running these gangs.

Generally, stop the abuse of illegal immigrants, get better results.

I think you're confusing asylum seekers with illegal immigrants. Refugees who get accepted are legal to work anywhere in the UK.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think you're confusing asylum seekers with illegal immigrants. Refugees who get accepted are legal to work anywhere in the UK.

I thought they couldn't work until thier claim for assylum was processed? This takes up to 2 years in some cases, in which time they are doing exactally what the BNP says and bumming of the government. But unless they want to work illegally, they have NO OPTION.

This is stupid.
    Yes, but you were still confusing migrants with asylum seekers, they're different, and I think this is why people get so aggravated, because they don't understand that difference.
    The attitude to LGBT asylum seekers is a big problem to add to the Beeb's list. The government often takes the attitude that you can "be discreet" and be returned somewhere even if it's your own family that the abuse is coming from or, as in a recent case, the authorities got your name under torture when they executed your boyfriend.