Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

December Holiday Destinations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right, me and the tart known as 'girlfriend' are thinking of going away over Christmas. We're torn between lying somewhere relatively hot and sunny on a beach (no ridiculously over the top commercial places spoiled by tourism), or somewhere incredibly snowy. Either way we'll be arsing about doing not a whole lot in the way of sightseeing, so that's not really an issue for us. Usually finding out travel destinations would be easy using common sense and Google, but no combination of Google searches will tell me which places are decently sunny or decent wintery at which times of year. The obvious suggestions for sunny in December are places in the other hemisphere, like Australia/New Zealand etc., but we don't fancy spending that long on a plane around Christmas so want something a little closer to home. Plus, we'll be heading to that side of the world in June/Julyish anyway, so twice is a big much.

So far Austria is all we've come up with on the winter side of things...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'd recommend Scandinavia for snowy conditions. You can fly to both Norway and Sweden for peanuts with Ryanair from Glasgow Prestwick which is always a bonus. Although I'd recommend that you take your alcohol supplies with you as the cost of a pint might cost more than your flight!

They are rather touristy but the Canary islands will be warm in December time but you could always stay out of the main resorts and that would solve that one.
  • Options
    I would go somewhere sunny. The last thing I would want to do when its dark, raining and cold in December, is fly away somewhere else dark, raining/snowing and cold. :D

Maybe try Dubai or the Florida keys, which are nowhere near as commercial as Orlando and the theme parks. Or if your willing to fly a little further you could go to the Caribbean.
  • Options
    The Caribbean is warm in winter, and you won't be doing much sight-seeing either.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Goa, Egypt, Morocco - places where the heat is really intense in the summer months, but cool down to a nice temperature in Dec.
  • Options
    Austria is a great destination if you're up for somewhere wintery, covered in fuck loads of snow with beautiful mountain scenery, picturesque towns, lots of drinking and snow sports.

Sunny places, urm yeah the Carribean, Thailand, Egypt, Turkey?
  • Options
    another vote for canary's here, still warm, enough going on but not over the top, and cheap too.
  • Options
    Mmm was thinking maybe somewhere in the Canary's but wasn't sure what the weather was like that time of year - nowhere was very helpful in giving weather by calendar dates, only 'seasons'.

Talking of, isn't it monsoon season in the Caribbean around that time?
  • Options
    Monsoon season in the carribean is the summer - december is high season - though when i last went in December it was slightly dead but that was the week before christmas - also its worth bearing in mind that there are limited cheap accomodation options in the carribean - well there are some but you either wouldn't want to stay in them as they are tooooo basic - or they are super cheesy budget first choice type places which are overly touristy.

South Africa is great at that time of year and though its a longish flight there is no jet lag.

Also Cape Verde - though I did investigate going there a few yeas ago and found a lovely guest house to stay in but couldn't work out how to get from where the plane flys you into to the island were the guest house was - but they might have sorted that out by now.

I would reccomend Morrocco about the canaries any day - its amazing and you can stay in so many lovely places.

For snowy places - austria is great - as is pretty much anywhere in the alps. Or you could go to slovenia and go to lake bled which is super lovely. Or iceland or scandianvia - though both are very expensive for eating out. However the only thing to bear in mind with snowy places is that most are closed/pretty dead in early december and only really get going - into full on madness over christmas and new year.

Plus though i reccomend it all the time this website is great for hotels which are non chain.

Lastly i think that expedia actually have quite a good search funtion on thier webiste which gives you desination guides for the month you want to go and how far you want to travel.

I'm sure i can think of more reccomendations though - if you go to www.weather.com - i think that they give you a month by month chart for averate temperatures etc - also the bbc have it for some deistinations as well
  • Options
    What about bulgaria, half the countries hot, half of its cold? :D
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    South Africa is great at that time of year and though its a longish flight there is no jet lag.

Which is exactly where I would recommend, the coast above Durban is really nice and the sea is like bath water its so warm.
  • Options
    id definately recommend goa/dubai :yes:

perfect hot destinations - but not TOO hot at that time of year.
    plus, if u ever get bored of the whole sitting round sunbathing thing, theres plenty of stuff to do there so u wont get bored.

specially dubai :D the hotel we went to gave us free access to a water park that was right next to it, which was especially fun.

if those places are too far away then id recommend... cyprus. that was pleasant when we went a few years ago in december :)
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    So far Austria is all we've come up with on the winter side of things...

Are you into winter sports. Like boarding, skiing?

because if you aren't it's really just half the fun making holidays somewhere snowy.
  • Options
    My friend and her boyfriend did interrailing for 3 weeks over xmas and new year and their favourite place was lagos in portugal. They said it was still nice weather (they spent time on the beach) althoough I'm not sure how hot, you'd have to check that out yourself. They said it was very laid back and the beer was really cheap!

Have you tried lonely planet.com? They give guides to when the best time of year is to go etc.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    My friend and her boyfriend did interrailing for 3 weeks over xmas and new year and their favourite place was lagos in portugal. They said it was still nice weather (they spent time on the beach) althoough I'm not sure how hot, you'd have to check that out yourself. They said it was very laid back and the beer was really cheap!

Have you tried lonely planet.com? They give guides to when the best time of year is to go etc.

That's where me and my family went last summer for a holiday my dad's bought a place out there. Lagos is a really nice place with lots of lovely beaches but I don't think the weather will be that great in December. There's lots of nice bars and cobbelled streets and that it's not touristy at all.
  • Options
    That's where me and my family went last summer for a holiday my dad's bought a place out there. Lagos is a really nice place with lots of lovely beaches but I don't think the weather will be that great in December. There's lots of nice bars and cobbelled streets and that it's not touristy at all.

Ohh also the Costa de la Luz in spain is supposed to be lovely as well - a similar chilled out vibe with beaches etc. However i'm also not that sure it will be that hot in December though.........