Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bikini Line

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, just booked our summer holidays, and thoughts are now on getting myself looking good enough to wear a bikini in 3 months time.

I don't mind shaving my legs on holiday, but the stubbly bikini line is sooo not a good look! Last year I tried waxing - never again!

I'm thinking of investing in one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remington-Confidence-BKT3000c-Cordless-Trimmer/dp/B000758DHU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=personal&qid=1206468221&sr=1-2

but are they really any better than a normal razor?

All the creams I've tried are just crap, it grows back straight away.

Also thinking about an epilator, I know they're painful but is it as bad as waxing? Anyone recommend one?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what was the problem with waxing? As some people swear by it! Maybe you had them too long, or too short. I am not an expert regarding bikini lines, but I guess it's the easiest, cheapest option with best results, no?
    It's agony Strubbs.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I bleed and bruise when I have a wax - and whenever I go I always seem to have wax left on me....ow!
    Yeah the pain is bad, to say the least, but it leaves me looking a mess, bruised, with loads of blood blisters - not attractive on the beach, or in the bedroom for that matter!
    I've never had a bikini wax and I don't intend to in the future. I waxed my legs once and that was the most ridiculous pain ever, worse than getting my large arm tattoo done!

I've tried using an epilator and tbh I wouldn't wish those devices on my worst enemy.

My best advice for the bikini line is to moisturise the areas you want to shave with your favourite body lotion first with some water mixed in, shave it with a disposable razor, then moisturise it again. This is how I do it and I think it's the least painless, quickest way that leaves you with minimal itching and ingrowing hairs.

Being a woman is a bitch sometimes.
    Epilators are the devil. Its like a long, drawn out version of waxing. Eurgh its just horrible

Rofl the firefox spell checker just underlined 'epilator' and tried to replace it with 'mutilator'. Probably quite accurate
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I bleed and bruise when I have a wax - and whenever I go I always seem to have wax left on me....ow!

I always have wax on me after and then it sticks to my jeans and looks like I have blue varicose veins on my legs!!
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It's agony Strubbs.

Ohh...

I really should start to appreciate what girls are doing for us.

potw material, kangoo :lol:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    kangoo wrote: »
    Epilators are the devil. Its like a long, drawn out version of waxing. Eurgh its just horrible

Rofl the firefox spell checker just underlined 'epilator' and tried to replace it with 'mutilator'. Probably quite accurate

hahaha! thats a cracker!
    kangoo wrote: »
    Lol, yes!

I think epilators on the bikini line are worse than waxing tbh. At least with waxing the pain is in one motion, like taking off a band-aid - wham! It hurts like a bitch but only once, and for a short period of time.

I hate bikini line hair... I'd love to remove it permantently tbh.
    :yes: Me too.
    I'm so glad to see this thread, thought I was the only one who has yet to find a good method of getting rid of it. I've tried shaving, waxing and depilatory cream and found waxing the best, but nothing works that well. I'd love to get that light treatment on it (not lasering cos apparently that really hurts) but it's just so expensive.
    I love epilating my legs but I don't think it would be good on the bikini line. I don't mind waxing though. It doesn't really hurt me. Or Immac is okay but a bit messy.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I love epilating my legs but I don't think it would be good on the bikini line. I don't mind waxing though. It doesn't really hurt me. Or Immac is okay but a bit messy.

You are the girl equivalent of Chuck Norris. I salute you.
    A friend of mine was epilating her bikini line once and somehow managed to get an *extremely* sensitive part of her anatomy entangled/caught in the epilator...she had to go to hospital and everything :eek: If that's not enough to put you off for life I don't know what is...!!
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    A friend of mine was epilating her bikini line once and somehow managed to get an *extremely* sensitive part of her anatomy entangled/caught in the epilator...she had to go to hospital and everything :eek: If that's not enough to put you off for life I don't know what is...!!

:sour:
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    You are the girl equivalent of Chuck Norris. I salute you.

:thumb: I'll take that as a compliment. I think.

:nervous: Awww!!!!!!!!!

well that puts me off that one :yuck:

how about these bikini trimmers i've linked in my op, anyone used them? got a voucher for amazon but if they're not very good i'm just gonna get a decent razor instead i think
    I started going to a local salon to have mine waxed as i tried to do it myself and always ended up with wax everywhere and looking bruised. I must be odd, i don't find it hugely painful but then the woman who does it is great and does a quick and professional job.

p.s to the OP, i used those trimmers, they just made it the same for me as shaving with a normal razor, you don't really get a fine close trim and it caused me stubble rash.
    I use an epilator for the top bit of my bikini line and it is so much better than waxing or shaving.
    lexilex wrote: »
    Yeah the pain is bad, to say the least, but it leaves me looking a mess, bruised, with loads of blood blisters - not attractive on the beach, or in the bedroom for that matter!

You need to find a new beauty therapist!
    omg im actually scared now after reading this tread. I am going on holiday end of May with my b/f so will need to sort out the hair. I was going to use an epilator but maybe not now. If i get waxed how inadvanced should i book it? I was gonna go a day b4 i go on holiday. is this a good idea? Im a bikini line waxing virgin!! normally shave, please help!
    Don't be scared, I know plenty of girls that epilate with no problems :p

If you have never had a wax done though, I'd recommend you have one done at a salon instead of epilating yourself. Epilating does hurt, and if you haven't tried waxing before then I can see you being put off. I only moved onto epilating after I found waxing to be too messy and impractical.

The skin might be a bit sensitive for a day or so afterwards - go two days before the holiday I reckon :)
    omg im actually scared now after reading this tread. I am going on holiday end of May with my b/f so will need to sort out the hair. I was going to use an epilator but maybe not now. If i get waxed how inadvanced should i book it? I was gonna go a day b4 i go on holiday. is this a good idea? Im a bikini line waxing virgin!! normally shave, please help!

You shouldn't sunbathe for a couple of days after the wax so I would definately say a few days before the holiday - this will also give time for the skin to calm down if it has become a bit irritated.