Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

graduation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm graduating this year and ive just had a letter from my uni saying that if i want any guests to come to the ceremony they have to pay £25 a ticket. Is this normal? because I was under the impression that you'd get at least a couple of tickets free.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Wow, that does seem a bit steep. At my university (University of Glasgow) all graduands get two tickets for free, and if they need any more their name gets put in a lottery system and extra tickets are doled out that way.

Which uni are you at?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Wow, that does seem a bit steep. At my university (University of Glasgow) all graduands get two tickets for free, and if they need any more their name gets put in a lottery system and extra tickets are doled out that way.

Which uni are you at?

:yes: was exactly the same for me

I vaguely remember my post grad being different and you having to pay, but I didnt bother with that graduation - once you've been to one, you have been to them all ;)
  • Options
    I didnt get any free tickets, they all had to be paid for.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Calvin wrote: »
    I didnt get any free tickets, they all had to be paid for.

but that's coz they wanted to avoid all your 'riff raff' family going along - everyone else got theirs free :p
  • Options
    When my brother graduated, he was only allowed three tickets for the ceremony and they had to be paid for.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    but that's coz they wanted to avoid all your 'riff raff' family going along - everyone else got theirs free :p

Well most were in prison so couldnt come anyway :(
  • Options
    At my university (UCL) they even make the graduands buy tickets for themselves. Guest tickets were £25 each, graduand tickets were £15 each plus gown hire was another £35 so it cost me like £100 for me and both my parents to go. But it was a great day, worth the money but I still think it's rather expensive.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    At my university (UCL) they even make the graduands buy tickets for themselves.

:shocking: That sucks!!!

I thought graduation's expensive enough without having to pay for your own ticket.
  • Options
    Yup, I'm at UCL and it's £25 per guest, plus £15 per graduand and £35 gown hire.

Edit. Oh, I'm repeating RG. At least it hasn't got more expensive in the last 2 years, but we don't even get a particularly good venue...
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Yup, I'm at UCL and it's £25 per guest, plus £15 per graduand and £35 gown hire.

I was amazed when I read the letter about the graduation bumpf :eek:
    I didn't bother going to mine when I did my masters - I'd already had the whole spiel at Brizzle (which was FREE) so I didn't see the point for such an extortionate price. I think (hope!) Sheffield's graduation ceremony is free though so that when I finish this damn PhD I can at least wear the morterboard :D
  • Options
    im at ucca in canterbury. On top of the tickets for guests, an were only allowed 2 with a possibility of 2 more through ballot they wont let us in unless we wear a gown an our ones are gona cost £50 for the day, just rental....it all seems so expencive