Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Metronidazole

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been prescribed Metronidazole for a tooth infection I know I can't drink on them (:crying: ) but will they affect my contraceptive pill? I know a few ABX do and I've left my BNF at placement so can't check :rolleyes:

And just out of curiosity what would happen if I drank on them? Would it lessen then affect of the ABX or would it make me sick :chin:

Comments

• Options
    Just dusted off the cobwebs off my BNF ;)

Re: alcohol, it says it can produce a disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol, so nausea, vomiting, flushing of the skin, sometimes tacchycardia, SOB etc.

It doesn't say anything about interactions with the pill, but on other sites it says there's a low risk it can reduce the effectiveness. I'd just work on a cover your arse basis and use something extra for that time.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Just dusted off the cobwebs off my BNF ;)

Re: alcohol, it says it can produce a disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol, so nausea, vomiting, flushing of the skin, sometimes tacchycardia, SOB etc.

It doesn't say anything about interactions with the pill, but on other sites it says there's a low risk it can reduce the effectiveness. I'd just work on a cover your arse basis and use something extra for that time.

Thank you :)

So definatly a good idea not to indugle in cheap tuesday night wine :no:
  • Options
    Probably not :(
  • Options
    I was on Metronidazole back in Jan and rightly or wrongly, was told to not just reply on the pill for contraception. Always best to take precautions just incase with antibiotics really I think. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    it is a certain group of antibiotics that affect the pill, but as everyone else said better safe than sorry.

And yeah, you will be violently sick if u drink on metronidazole.