Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

perceptions towards anxiety&panic attacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today I had a panic attack sitting in a lecture. It was so awful and I was sitting in the middle part of the lecture hall as well. I felt like I wanted to just run out but was fixed really because if I ran out then everyone would have looked or I would do something stupid like fall over. Anyway the lecturer was taking foreverrr to finish up and eurgh it just felt awful. I was physically shaking as I left and made a lame excuse to my friends that I needed to go some where.

I went to the small nurse's office/surgery (not the main medical surgery) located thankfully nearish to my lecture hall and just said I had a panic attack and needed to sit down. She checked my details and said that's absolutely fine. She was so lovely and offered me a cup of tea and then asked what I had eaten for breakfast (actimel thing) and then offered to make me some toast. She just sat down and chatted with me until I felt better and we were talking about how terrible Jeremy Kyle is while she sat there and did her knitting. Was really really comforting. :)

Just wanted to share really.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear you had a panic attack but it's nice to know you had the support you needed.

Do you know what caused it?
  • Options
    Oh my god my title is long!! Oops.

Well I thought I felt a bit sick and because I have a phobia of vomiting it evolved into a panic attack and I thought I was going to throw up. Not nice. I used to have them in primary school in the dining hall and would keep getting sent out cuz I wouldnt stop crying.
  • Options
    Aww. Thankfully I have never had that problem and can't really imagine how it would feel or how to understand it but of course it obviously isn't a nice experience.

Do you take any tablets for them? My friend used to suffer from them quite badly and he was given some medication to help I think.
  • Options
    Nope no medication. I haven't had a major panic attack for a long time so haven't really needed them. I keep thinking what if it happens in another lecture but I guess that doesn't really help cuz it's the fear that feeds the anxiety. Blah blahblah :( Ah well. At least I have Easter holiday soon to forget about panic attacks.
  • Options
    Well done for getting somewhere you could just sit and chill. Although you would have probably run out of the hall if you could have you did well to see it through...

One recommendation when you feel anxiety getting on top of you is to try and control your breathing. The best way is as follows;

Breathe in for the count of 7 and out for the count of 11... this well help your system slow down and relax, reducing anxiety and tension.

Sounds like you are doing the right things as this is the first one you have had in a long time - well done! :)
  • Options
    Thanks :) I attempted deep breathing but because my fear is vomiting anything that involves the mouth seems to make it worse. :(
  • Options
    i almost had one in a club on friday night.
    i was getting really wound up with anyone that came near me, and my mate was talking to me and asked why i was shaking and i didnt even realise i was.
    I just went outside for some air and to calm down. i had a little cry and went back in and it was fine again.

weird.
  • Options
    i cry afterwards because it's just so exhausting. is it the same for you?
  • Options
    She's a cool nurse. Learned that as a paramedic too. Sometimes being warm and kind is better than any medication.

Even if there is nothing you can do for someone we were supposed to do 'pseudo measures' to keep the attendant people relaxed.

Glad she could help you out. Do you know why you had that panic attack? I am sometimes really panicky if I have to pass gas, and someone might smell it! but not to this extent.
  • Options
    Haha :D

I think it was because I *thought* I felt a bit sick and because I have a phobia of vomiting the panicky feeling just got more and more intense. Yup that nurse was lovely and said I could go back any time :) even if it is just to chill out and chat/watch tv
  • Options
    Thanks :) I attempted deep breathing but because my fear is vomiting anything that involves the mouth seems to make it worse. :(

If that is the case then try to not think about breathing from your mouth but your chest instead (or something similar). Move the focus away...
  • Options
    i find it really hard to stay focussd but i will give it a go next time, hopefully there wont be one in a while :nervous:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah my sister used to suffer from the reall badly and a lot f people couldn't understand and just suggest pulling yourelf together which makes it worse.
    She used to get red blotches on her skin when an attack was comign on and it only took for somebody to ask why she was so red to set her off.

She was on anti depressants for a while which did nothing. Beta blockers seemed to work but she didn't want to live on them for ever. She had some hypnotherapy and built up the courage to star lap dancing - throw herself in at the deep end to try and oer come it. She's alright now.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    poor thing, im glad she's better now tho. i can understand about someone mentioning it and then it getting worse. if someone asks if im ok when im kinda going through the motions i just snap and scowl at them. i cant help it. all through the lecture i was glaring at the lecturer really fiercely..but i guess he's used to it. ha
  • Options
    I used to suffer badly, took me years to get my confidence.

I always found that sucking on a mint, or sipping water helped.
  • Options
    Oh my god my title is long!! Oops.

Well I thought I felt a bit sick and because I have a phobia of vomiting it evolved into a panic attack and I thought I was going to throw up. Not nice. I used to have them in primary school in the dining hall and would keep getting sent out cuz I wouldnt stop crying.

I'm exactly the same, I don't get them much now but a few years ago I had them bad but the school nurse was just horrible and kept telling me I was too young to be stressed and was attention seeking :(
  • Options
    I have a lot of panic attacks but luckily they are almost always when I'm in bed so it's not too embarassing as there is nobody else there to see. I take propranolol too which helps a bit.