Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question about "size zero"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was under the impression that this is an American thing, because their sizings are smaller than ours, eg a 10 here is a 6 there or something? I'm not sure of the exact relation though. If I'm right, doesn't that mean that a size zero doesn't actually exist here and it's something like a size 6 or a size 8?

Or have I got it all wrong?

Comments

• Options
    check out Gap, they have american sizes, and a size zero. It's about a four.
  • Options
    Great, thanks :)
  • Options
    It probably all depends on the shop. With such differences in tag sizes and actual sizes. Some shops here have gone to 00 and sub zero :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    4-6 according to the master of the Internet, Google. :D
  • Options
    Yeah here it's a UK size 4, Topshop and Miss Selfridges do some size 4 clothes and a few other shops are starting to as well.
  • Options
    Or you are ridiculously huge, one or t'other.
  • Options
    She was joking Stace!
  • Options
    Father forgive me, I was making a ha ha he he. Probably unwisely but the self-edit didn't cut in in time.
  • Options
    It should be the same size as a UK 4, but since Americans are as bad (if not worse) with the vanity sizing as us, sometimes they are bigger.

I have a pair of size 00 jeans from the US, and I would say they fit like a UK H&M size 8. So small, but not ridiculously.

That said, I also have a size 4 shirt from Asda that is bigger than a size 12 top I've had since I was at school. So who really knows what size is what any more?

ETA: Miss Selfridge need to make a size 4, as their size 6s have been fitting like 10s for years :grump:
  • Options
    Do you think that the media portrays it as a size that is used in the UK? I've seen "size zero" mentioned lots on the BBC website, and the "size zero craze" etc, so do you think women are being misled to believe that it is a common size over here, and that if they are nowhere near that then they are obviously fat or something? Rambly, sorry.
  • Options
    So who really knows what size is what any more?

I think everything should come with a blank label so the woman can write whatever makes her happy on it.
  • Options
    I think you may be right! The media is so fucked up with body image and sizing that they're probably doing it on purpose to make us so insecure and unhappy that we stay in all day watching and reading the things they produce rather than actually having a life.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I think everything should come with a blank label so the woman can write whatever makes her happy on it.

Tbh, I rarely even look at sizes anymore because they are so inconsistent. I can usually pretty much eyeball if something will fit me or not.

I think everyone should do this and then we can use your idea, and then everyone will be happy, and I can go around telling everyone my jeans are size green. :)
  • Options
    Do you think that the media portrays it as a size that is used in the UK? I've seen "size zero" mentioned lots on the BBC website, and the "size zero craze" etc, so do you think women are being misled to believe that it is a common size over here, and that if they are nowhere near that then they are obviously fat or something? Rambly, sorry.

Partly. I also think it's partly to do with the fact that 'size zero' is a better soundbite than 'uk size 4'. Unforch, the emphasis is on dress size/weight/BMI rather than things like body fat %, so a lot of the time, being a smaller size is equated with being lean, and the two aren't the same. I know someone who is a dress size 12 but is leaner than I am.
  • Options
    Or size * or something :D yay.
    But yes, I think that lots of people think that size zero is something in the UK that must be attainable if it's so common in the media, and that to get to size 0 from a size 8 or something is 4 or so sizes difference but actually it's not as the 2 sizing "systems" are getting confused.
    I've not bought new clothes in ages but I just buy what fits, sod the label.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Partly. I also think it's partly to do with the fact that 'size zero' is a better soundbite than 'uk size 4'. Unforch, the emphasis is on dress size/weight/BMI rather than things like body fat %, so a lot of the time, being a smaller size is equated with being lean, and the two aren't the same. I know someone who is a dress size 12 but is leaner than I am.
    Yes, it does sound "better" in that way, but do you see what I mean with it misleading people? whether intentionally or not ;)
  • Options
    Yes, it does sound "better" in that way, but do you see what I mean with it misleading people? whether intentionally or not ;)

And since when has most of the press ever been particularly concerned about that?
  • Options
    I'm an 8-10 and if I even got a centimetre smaller I wouldn't look right.
  • Options
    I've never seen a size 4 anywhere yet.
  • Options
    I saw a size 4 in Asda last year.
  • Options
    And since when has most of the press ever been particularly concerned about that?
    I'm not saying they are, I meant the overall effect - the fact that people in the UK quite probably think that size zero is something here that is smaller than a 4 etc, when it isn't. Size 4 is tiny anyway but do you see what I mean?
  • Options
    Wow, I've never seen a size 4. I've seen a size 6 in Topshop and even that looked really small.
    As people have been saying, as a general rule a US size 0 is a UK size 4.
    Which, if it's a proper size 4, is extremely small.
    I watched a show a week or two ago in which journalist Dawn Porter went to the US to find out about size 0 and to see if she could get down to it.
    It was shocking the amount of girls who said they would happily cut right down in order to become a model. It doesn't look healthy at all and I don't see why many find it so attractive.
    I'm 5'10 and wear size 12 trousers [because I need long ones] and size 10 tops and I'd say I look about average, a bit overweight maybe but nothing major. If I were a size 4 by UK standards, I'd look awful.
    I don't see the point in worrying about sizes, if you feel good about yourself, that's all that matters.
  • Options
    Whilst most people can't be a "size zero" and be healthy it's made out to be a freakish size that it shouldn't be. I'm naturally fairly slim and I'm only 5 foot 2 and can fit a "size zero" whilst within my healthy weight range.

Also remember that the difference between women's sizing isn't even, the difference between a size 4 and 6 is less than the difference between a size 14 and 16.
  • Options
    I agree that of course, if you're shorter you'll naturally need smaller sizes.
    But if you were to Google size 0, a lot of the images are really shocking.
    That's how it's portrayed in the media. I think if we weren't being fed images of shockingly slim girls then there would be no issue.
    For a lot of people, if they see models looking super thin, they'll want to be thin too. I think that's where the problem lies.
    I wish I was a lot shorter, being so tall if I were skinny I'd look really weird and there's no way I could fit a size zero because it wouldn't fit me length wise at all.
    Like I said before, if you're happy with the way you look, that's all that matters.
  • Options
    I went shopping the other day and my wallet became a size zero :shocking:

I lost 14 pounds due to IBS a few year ago ending up at 7 stone 2 pounds. At 5 " 2 I looked hideous even though I know some people it would have looked fine, but I am a naturally curvy person. I managed to regain the 14 pounds and looked far healthier. Unfortunately I have recently gained 14 pounds (Something about that number) and I look a bit podgy, but not too bad, I can disguise it well, though it is mostly around my stomach. All I need to do is tone up the flab and I'll be happy, That's only so I don't have to waste money on new clothes lol. stuff what the media say we should look like. I prefer to look how I want and with how I feel happy.
  • Options
    Asda's size 4's are huge, i'm not even joking i think they equate to a size 10 in dorothy perkins or somewhere. I don't get the point becaus ethey are obviously not going to fit the people that are small enought to need those sizes.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I think you may be right! The media is so fucked up with body image and sizing that they're probably doing it on purpose to make us so insecure and unhappy that we stay in all day watching and reading the things they produce rather than actually having a life.

Of course... Same with our obsession with youth.
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Asda's size 4's are huge, i'm not even joking i think they equate to a size 10 in dorothy perkins or somewhere. I don't get the point becaus ethey are obviously not going to fit the people that are small enought to need those sizes.

I can just fit into a size four pair of jeans from Asda but my size eights from Dorothy Perkins fit just as well.. and from Topshop I wear a size six!

In any of the above, I like to think I don't look too skinny - just slim. Don't like the word "skinny" it's just sounds like an accusation like I'm trying to be thin, when I'm not, I've always been slim. (Wish I could get back to the size 8-10, nine and a half stone I was in 2002! :()
  • Options
    Jeans sizing is just stupid, full fucking stop.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Jeans sizing is just stupid, full fucking stop.

Yes :grump: I had my first experience with same jean different sizing the other day. Same exact pants ive worn for a few years, they've always fit close enough to the same before. Unfortunatly my experience was in a bad way. Instead of the size fitting too big I could barely get the legs past my thinghs :lol: Im just going to wear sweatpants from now on :p