Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ban cigarette displays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story. I guess it's pretty stupid to ban cigarette advertising, and then have them in front of everyone's face every time they visit the newsagents. But I was under the impression that the ability to see the product is kinda key in deciding what you want to buy. Presumably they'd have a catalogue like when you buy drugs in Amsterdam?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just another example of the current attitude which further cements the governments apparent belief that we're all to stupid and negligent to look after ourselves or take responsibility for our actions.

Incidentally, I was watching Family Guy last night and was amazed that Brian the dog is still smoking. Not amazed as in, 'how could they let the children see an activity which a quarter of the adult population of the world indulge in', more amazed that the PC brigade hasn't tried to stop it yet.
    To be honest, I think brian smoking is the LAST in a long list of issues the PC brigade would be after on family guy
    Well Family Guy is on after 11 at night. If you're letting your kids watch that, then I guess that's your own choice.

P.S. I was going to write "over to you Thunderstruck" on my OP. ;)
    Funny isn't it, how the Govt are so keen to stop people from smoking that they do everything they possibly can to make it as hard as possible.

Except .. er... making it illegal. No taxes in that I suppose.

Of course, having said that, we all know that making something hard to obtain (or illegal) stops it's use - just look at the current prohibition policy towards other addictive drugs...
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    To be honest, I think brian smoking is the LAST in a long list of issues the PC brigade would be after on family guy

The fellas at the freakin' FCC.
    Cant really see much point in taking cigarettes under-the-counter.

Most people dont walk into a shop, see the arrangement of cigarettes and say "those Marlboro Lights look really good. I think I might buy a pack to try"

Most people going into a shop already know they want some cigarettes and already know which brand they want. Putting cigarettes under the counter will probably just increase brand loyalty and put people off smoking alternative brands, cant see it making more people give up.

There is also the issue of the more you make something taboo (by having cigarettes under the counter) the more it may appeal to younger people.
    The fellas at the freakin' FCC.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IYG9zGZtyD0

:)
    The government must secure the health of the community. To do so it has to regulate the hell out of everything we do which might spoil our health. This is for our own good. Give in :thumb:
    Excellent, Runnymead.

Given historic precednece does that mean a ban for the Tory party and their health policies? ;):p
    Excellent, Runnymead.

Given historic precednece does that mean a ban for the Tory party and their health policies? ;):p

I'm pretty sure Labour would if it thought it could get away with it...
    Calvin wrote: »
    Cant really see much point in taking cigarettes under-the-counter.

Most people dont walk into a shop, see the arrangement of cigarettes and say "those Marlboro Lights look really good. I think I might buy a pack to try"

Most people going into a shop already know they want some cigarettes and already know which brand they want. Putting cigarettes under the counter will probably just increase brand loyalty and put people off smoking alternative brands, cant see it making more people give up.

There is also the issue of the more you make something taboo (by having cigarettes under the counter) the more it may appeal to younger people.

yea agreed and next we will have to throw out counters that have a glass front underneith because its a legitimate show case for goods now we are forced to put the cigaretes under there and block the glass off.

Personally I would just make ciggaretes 15-20 £ a pack let them pay for their own treatment.
    yea agreed and next we will have to throw out counters that have a glass front underneith because its a legitimate show case for goods now we are forced to put the cigaretes under there and block the glass off.

Personally I would just make ciggaretes 15-20 £ a pack let them pay for their own treatment.

Are you serious?

We already pay for our treatment, many, many times over. I've been a smoker for 6 years which equates to tens of thousand of pounds worth of tax revenue. Yet I've only ever used the NHS once for an HIV test as part of my Russian visa application. You're telling me I should pay more for it whereas lairy drunk people who put immeasurably more strain on the health service each weekend should continue paying what they do?

It costs c. £1.5bn to treat people with smoking-related illnesses whereas taxes on fags bring in c£11bn into the system. Technically, smokers should be given the red carpet treatment at hospitals since they pay for it more than non-smokers.

Granted, you may hate smoking, but don't let your own personal views cloud your mind and turn you into a bigot. It's called tolerance.

Fascist, smokers pay far far far more to the government in taxes than they take out of the NHS for treatment.
    The way it's going we'll all be banned from going out ...suit me fine at the moment it's bleedin freezin out ther

Whothe hell have we put in power ....THE BAN PARTY! This government ran out of political ideas a long time back ...bully people instaed ...it looks like somethings happening. Chuck people out of their homes ...stop their measely benefits ...This playground bully known as new lab need a fucking good kicking.
    The way it's going we'll all be banned from going out ...suit me fine at the moment it's bleedin freezin out ther

Whothe hell have we put in power ....THE BAN PARTY! This government ran out of political ideas a long time back ...bully people instaed ...it looks like somethings happening. Chuck people out of their homes ...stop their measely benefits ...This playground bully known as new lab need a fucking good kicking.

well if I'm not mistaken soon is time to vote isn't it ? I sure won't vote for these turds but I wonder how much better any other party is
    well if I'm not mistaken soon is time to vote isn't it ? I sure won't vote for these turds but I wonder how much better any other party is

The other party will give us freedom ...trouble with the other guys version of freedom is ...we'll let people make their own decisions ...which in tory terms means ...fuck the lot of em let em rot.
    But people need to stop accepting all this endless legislating against everything ...stop this bullying being portrayed as politics.
    Can we be treated with a little bit of respect ...we might just be inteligent enough to make our own decisions ...but i'm begining to doubt even that the way people keep welcoming these things or ignoring them.
    The other day I walked into a store and said to myself that every shop seems to advertise cigarettes more than any and quite agree that they shouldn't display them where people are most likely to be focusing their attention
    advertising should be banned but really putting them under the counter will not help whats the point in "hiding" them from view when a teenager only has to wonder around outside to see "cool looking" people smoking or rather how "cool" people look when smoking, if the goverment wants the proposed result they will have to make everyone smoke out of site from anyone its just silly
    Muckdonald will have to take his advertising signs down ...black out the windows ...
    Motorbikes will be banned ...
    Rubber pavements will be installed in case you trip ...
    The other party will give us freedom....

I assume you mean the Lib Dems, because the Tory's sure as hell won't. Do you not remember the video nasties? Drugs policies? And the opposition to any other freedom that people have been given in the last 100-odd years? Conservative "freedom" only goes so far as rich people are free to make as much money as they can, while being free to make sure that none of it goes towards helping the poor.
    I assume you mean the Lib Dems, because the Tory's sure as hell won't. Do you not remember the video nasties? Drugs policies? And the opposition to any other freedom that people have been given in the last 100-odd years? Conservative "freedom" only goes so far as rich people are free to make as much money as they can, while being free to make sure that none of it goes towards helping the poor.

They probably wouldn't have banned fox hunting mind. I don't think they support ID cards, in fact, they'd probably be a lot less meddling generally.
    Rubber pavements will be installed in case you trip ...

Cool another loophole for the toy industry
    J wrote: »
    I wouldn't have to much of a problem if they banned cigarettes altogether. Ok, I'm a smoker, but it would remove the temptation.
    It's like mass suicide that goes on undisturbed!

the voice of reason :)
    personally I have nothing against ID cards, I always carry my driving license whats wrong with being able to prove you are who you say you are, I bet people would sure be in agreement of ID after they have to go down to the police station to get checked because they can't prove who they are,

There was a big fuss and misunderstanding about photographers pro and amateur alike carrying ID I'm fine with that most of us do have ID on us at all times whats a driving license for goodness sake if not an ID card
    Exactly simon... so why do you need an ID card in addition to the ID you already have?
    I wonder how much time and money was wasted on coming up with such a stupid idea? Any chance of the money being paid back and the people who thought of it being told to fuck off and get proper jobs?
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I wonder how much time and money was wasted on coming up with such a stupid idea? Any chance of the money being paid back and the people who thought of it being told to fuck off and get proper jobs?
    It's as if our government has been taken over by the school debating society. At the end of each session is a show of hands ...hey look kids ...this is democracy in action!
    No it fucking isn't ... a classroom full of children have debated something voted on it and ...ACTUALY BEEN GIVEN THE POWER TO ACT!!!!!!!!
    Exactly simon... so why do you need an ID card in addition to the ID you already have?

uless you don't have a driving license you don't need any other ID I just got the impression people resented being able to prove they are who they say they are
    Nah, they resent the database, expense, necessity etc
    uless you don't have a driving license you don't need any other ID I just got the impression people resented being able to prove they are who they say they are
    Most people are quite happy to prove who they are and can do so quite easily.