Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course the pope has his daily dump in the vatican forest!

Primary school children spoilt by their parents can cause disruption in the classroom by repeating manipulative behaviour used at home

No shit.

Even secondary school spoilt pupils are just as bad, infact worse.

Back at my old school, the great THOMAS AVELING, which such an outstanding ofsted report (twats I hate ofsted with a passion..) they have a lot of snobs and spoilt teenagers. Picking on other people who don't wear branded clothes, or designer stuff. Showing off thier mobiles and PSPs disrupting the core lessons (mainly my old science class back in year 10 and now year 11)

Hell Im a poor bastard myself and I got treated like a sack of shit every single day!
  • Options
    It's not just a bullying issue, and I get where you're coming from. The article is specifically about primary education because a little kid can cause serious disruption by throwing a total fit. As far as I know that's not an issue in secondary education.

I saw one comment on the "have your say" link about how if cost of living was down then one parent could stay at home and parent.
  • Options
    Augi wrote: »
    Of course the pope has his daily dump in the vatican forest!

Primary school children spoilt by their parents can cause disruption in the classroom by repeating manipulative behaviour used at home

No shit.

Even secondary school spoilt pupils are just as bad, infact worse.

Back at my old school, the great THOMAS AVELING, which such an outstanding ofsted report (twats I hate ofsted with a passion..) they have a lot of snobs and spoilt teenagers. Picking on other people who don't wear branded clothes, or designer stuff. Showing off thier mobiles and PSPs disrupting the core lessons (mainly my old science class back in year 10 and now year 11)

Hell Im a poor bastard myself and I got treated like a sack of shit every single day!

yes its time that discipline is reinforced at home, schools can't do much to control children if their parents don't. sadly in todays day and age its the children that control the parents, and yes I've seen it happening.

sadly many have children before they are mature themselves (hm perhaps has something to do with lazing at home with child benefit) and if you walk around a shopping centre you see any young mothers that think they are disciplining their children but actually are being rather nasty and childish themselves, and of course the option is just let the kid run riot.
  • Options
    yes its time that discipline is reinforced at home, schools can't do much to control children if their parents don't. sadly in todays day and age its the children that control the parents, and yes I've seen it happening.

sadly many have children before they are mature themselves (hm perhaps has something to do with lazing at home with child benefit) and if you walk around a shopping centre you see any young mothers that think they are disciplining their children but actually are being rather nasty and childish themselves, and of course the option is just let the kid run riot.

My mother was on benefits and she did not "laze at home". Children don't consider their parents laziness if they want or need something. A baby won't wake up and think "it's 2:20 am, I'd better be quiet so I don't wake anyone up." When you become a parent you're a parent 24 hours a day for the rest of your life. While I do know many people don't have the best parenting skills, it's due to lack of education and experience. There is no laziness involved.
    The word "discipline" was never mentioned when I was younger, if I wanted to eat sweets instead of my vegatables, I could (which I did once, for about 3 days, and I felt ill and realised she was right and I should at least listen to and consider her opinion). The choices were ours, and so the consequences were ours.When it comes to discipline it seems to me that rebelling at 6 means staying up late, rebelling at 13 means skipping school, trying hard drugs or getting pregnant.
    There were a few kids in my class who were spoilt, but that's because they were brought up in middle class "nuclear" families, with parents who would march into school and damand to know why teachers gave them low marks in science, or just buy them things without them having to do chores, get good marks in school or prove that they needed it. I had sympathy for these kids, while still hating them for bullying others. They had TVs in their rooms so their parents could get rid of them and however hard they tried at school it was never good enough. There are kids who are spoilt and manipulative, but often material possesions are given instead of love and attention, not discipline.
  • Options
    There were a few kids in my class who were spoilt, but that's because they were brought up in middle class "nuclear" families, with parents who would march into school and damand to know why teachers gave them low marks in science, or just buy them things without them having to do chores, get good marks in school or prove that they needed it. I had sympathy for these kids, while still hating them for bullying others. They had TVs in their rooms so their parents could get rid of them and however hard they tried at school it was never good enough. There are kids who are spoilt and manipulative, but often material possesions are given instead of love and attention, not discipline.

well I think that sort of attitude is growing

I know that not everyone has a kid for the benefits but when I see parents that care little for bringing their kids up have 4 kids in a row it makes me wonder, my dads gf relys heavily on child benefit and does not really want to work infact she got sacked for often being off and not doing her job proporley, I'm pretty sure she has done nothing to get pregnant because of the benefits it brings as she already got pregnant once and had a miscarriage and was warned that at their ages it was not at all recomended to be pregnant but no she def wants a baby even though my dad has told her "look it means we are grounded if we have a child and won't be able to enjoy our lives" they are 45 and 58.....
  • Options
    I r vote for canes in schools.

TBH, just put them in isolation as they do currently, let the parents fuck their own kids up. Yes we as society should be taking responsibility but why fix other people's mistakes. Even spoilt kids generally turn out ok in the end when they grow up a bit and realise life isn't going to hand them everything on a silver platter.

I think the way schools currently deal with it is sufficient, it exists but as you say / imply, it's always existed and more than likely always will exist. Having said that, it depends if the schools are effective at dealing with disruptive pupils which in my experience is seldom the case. A lot of teachers just aren't up to the task unfortunately. (I know I'll get stick for that, but I've had teachers crying because they can't cope - whereas some can control classes perfectly. Watch the Dog Whisperer, it's about control, you need to be assertive otherwise you are being submissive automatically - and quite frankly a lot of teachers aren't, they're nice but not assertive. I'd go as far to say most teachers I've come across are submissive. Dog Whisperer is a good show, btw...)
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    KIds should play outside more. I used to love digging trenches and getting all cammoed up and playing reccon missions in the waste ground. Having said that the waste ground is gone now to make way for houses for the Polish etc.
    We also used to play in the abandoned police house (I lived on a police estate) and we used to go into the unlocked garages etc. In one house we found a huge box of Swizzlers chews, and in one of the garages we found phone tapping equipment and a hand wound air raid siren which we of course cranked up! There was a sense of adventure in those days. Boyish fun! Kids are spoilt these days, but they have only our example to follow.
    When i was a kid J ...we had air raid shelters ...anti air craft gun sites protecting the city ...guns gone unfortunately ...underground bunkers and tunnels. Used to find gas masks bullets knives handcuffs all manner of stuff!
  • Options