Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are you feeling protected?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People like me can't smoke near you anymore ...i can't tell Irish or Paki jokes ...can't call Rubberskin a puff ...he's gay ....no he's not he's pretty pissed off.
I'm from a failed generation. The generation that was all about free love ...fuck your army i aint joining it.
Hard core stuff at the time.
And look what our children ended up with! 10,000New criminal laws passed whist Mr bBlAIr was in power ...i'm like ...10,000 more! ...I didn't know there were that many laws to start with ...can't do kinda laws ...how many things can't we do anymore? What are they cos i'm probably a bit out of date?

Comments

• Options
    I disagree with the smoking ban but on the most part think that politcal correctness is a good thing.
  • Options
    Sorry people don't get to laugh at your racism, boo fucking hoo for you
  • Options
    alan_partridge.jpg

This country...
  • Options
    alan_partridge.jpg

This country...

Alan: You've got a nice forecourt here, you could have a barbecue out the front.

Michael:Eh, you're not allowed naked flames near the petrol pumps.

Alan:You know what, it's political correctness gone mad!
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Bitch.
  • Options
    Ah too be fair I'm stuck in bed with food posioning so that was probably a bit harsh. Certainly I think some changes have been positive but hell, as a smoker, drinker and liberal I'd definately agree things aren't going in a direction I like right now.
  • Options
    Obviously some changes have been great, personally I'm a massive fan of the smoking ban, because I actually now enjoy going to the pub. The union still smells rancid, but it always did smoke or no smoke.

However, I am slightly concerned about these suspected terrorist holding charges. Because I guess if they felt like it they could arrest me and hold me without charge. I suppose people like me don't really think about it, because we're white and middle class and things like that just don't happen. But what if they did?
  • Options
    The term political correctness is just rubbish anyway, and is largely only used by Mail rants. Most people have just realised that using terms like paki are insulting and unpleasant and they dont do it anymore - personally I think that is a good thing.

As for the criminal statutes brought in by this government, you'll get no disagreement from me - but as an effectively Tory government what did you expect?
  • Options
    Never minded Irish jokes myself - especially the ones which show our superiority to the English
    An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman were asked in a survey what nationality they would like to have been born if they hadn't been born The nationality they were.
    'If I hadn't been born English,' said The Englishman, 'I would have liked to have been French.'
    'If I hadn't been born Scottish,' said The Scotsman, 'I would have liked to have been Irish.'
    'If I hadn't been born Irish,' said The Irishman, 'I would have been ashamed of myself.'
  • Options
    The best englishman irishman scotsman joke I ever heard was
    An englishman irishman and a scotsman walk into a bar, and the barman says, "what is this? Some kind of joke?"
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

:lol: Should I be ashamed that I found that funny...
  • Options
    I like the smoking ban actually... And to be fair it isn't a ban really, it's just saying that you can't smoke inside and have to step outside for a couple of minutes to smoke. I actually don't see what the big deal is.

As for 'political correctness', or what words you can't say, it used to annoy me as a concept... But at the same time, as a member of the LGBT community, if somebody called me a 'dyke' or a 'homo' I would probably lamp them.

It's all very well going on about political correctness if you're a member of the most privileged groups in society... When you are fortunate enough not to experience racism, xenophobia, homophobia or religious discrimination... But when you get shit for who you are, in the work place, or are scared to kiss a partner in public, or have been beaten up by a gang of lads for your skin colour, it's a different situation.
  • Options
    :lol: me too
  • Options
    Obviously some changes have been great, personally I'm a massive fan of the smoking ban, because I actually now enjoy going to the pub. The union still smells rancid, but it always did smoke or no smoke.

That's the sweat from all the pretty people dancing.

On political correctness, people say all those things in private anyway. At worst you would be pooh-poohed if you said it in public. The law wouldn't punish you unless it could be proven that you intended to incite others to violence against such and such group.

There's nothing wrong with the smoking ban. All it does is prevent smokers from impinging on the right of non-smokers not to be forced to inhale that filth - in a building. It doesn't stop smokers from smoking. :o
  • Options
    thought i'd put this link up because stewart lee expresses my view perfectly on politcal correctness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx4Bc6_eE
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    As for 'political correctness', or what words you can't say, it used to annoy me as a concept... But at the same time, as a member of the LGBT community, if somebody called me a 'dyke' or a 'homo' I would probably lamp them.

Why are Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transexuals lumped together like that? It's the same with BEM's, I think it's demeaning actually to all these groups.
  • Options
    Ah too be fair I'm stuck in bed with food posioning so that was probably a bit harsh. Certainly I think some changes have been positive but hell, as a smoker, drinker and liberal I'd definately agree things aren't going in a direction I like right now.
    Deary me ...hope you get well soon Mr V.
    It wasn't meant to be racist in any way whatsoever just ...has any of it actualy made any difference ...obviously some of it has. My concern ...coming from a different era ... and growing up in a multi racial/cultural area ...the difference between races and cultures was vivid and celebrated ...no we aint all the same and don't want to be was the attitude of the day. The kid from the corner shop was paki joe ...all Irish guys were paddy and thick and so on ...but these people were your mates.
    Friends take the mick out of each other ...thats how it was and undoing that seems to me to have divided a lot of kids off from each other. The micky taking and name calling was harmless fun and yes ...we had the skinheads etc who used the same terms ...in a very different manner. Through the seventies the anti nazi league grew and thick paddy paki Joe ...and me ...were arm in arm drunk at the festivals. Still calling each other names.
    A couple of years back one of my grandsons came rushing into his mums for something and i asked who he was playing outside with ..Joe came the answer. Black Joe or white Joe i asked ...he had to run out and check and then came running back in and said ...black Joe! If only we could retain that innocence into adulthood.
    By the way folks ...this was originaly posted in anything goes ..JV moved it here..
  • Options
    I think it's because there are strength in numbers when campaining for change, so even though the groups may be different, if the issues affecting them are similar they are better off campaining for change together.
  • Options
    thought i'd put this link up because stewart lee expresses my view perfectly on politcal correctness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx4Bc6_eE
    Twas good.
  • Options

:lol: That's quality, I'm gonna steal that...
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I think it's because there are strength in numbers when campaining for change, so even though the groups may be different, if the issues affecting them are similar they are better off campaining for change together.

Are they that similar?

I mean, does an 18 year old gay male have the same interests as a 40 year old transexual? I'm not sure. Same with race.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Why are Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transexuals lumped together like that? It's the same with BEM's, I think it's demeaning actually to all these groups.

Why is it demeaning?

I think people are 'lumped together' as LGBT because they are classed as a sexual minority, although being trans can be several things and it usually refers to gender identity, not sexuality. There is a debate as to whether i should be LGBT or just LGB... Perhaps putting trans folk under the LGB gives them protection?

In my view, I don't see is as demeaning as it is nice to be able to go to clubs and meetings and meet people who are of the same sexual orientation or gender identity as myself. I also feel that homophobia also affects bisexual and trans people and so having an 'LGBT community' offers support and protection. If it weren't for the LGBT society, I wouldn't have a group to go to for help and to be fair, my heterosexual friends have no idea how I experience the world or what homophobia feels like...

As for BEMs (or 'People of Colour') I don't personally know and would feel wrong speaking for a group of people to which I don't belong.

Would be interesting to hear from somebody who is experiencing it what they think.

ETA: I don't claim to speak for all LGBT people, it's just my experience
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Why is it demeaning?

I already said, it suggests that they have same interests. I don't mind people setting up support groups for LGBT people but labelling a gay person as part of the LGBT community is demeaning imo. Maybe I've got it wrong I dunno.
  • Options
    I already said, it suggests that they have same interests. I don't mind people setting up support groups for LGBT people but labelling a gay person as part of the LGBT community is demeaning imo. Maybe I've got it wrong I dunno.
    It isn't suggesting people have the same interests any further than their sexuality and/or gender. It's not about stereotypes or labelling, you are what you are.

A group/community needs a name so people know what it's about. I prefer the term 'queer' myself however.
  • Options

I'm inclined to agree, we need to make a lot less of a fuss about what sexuality or 'race' we are not more. Having said that though discrimination (either 'positive' or negative) should definitely be rooted out and stopped.
  • Options
    What ARE you on about?
  • Options
    I disagree with the smoking ban but on the most part think that politcal correctness is a good thing.

well if you don't mind I can't stand smoke it gives me a headache why should I get ill on your smoke. at work they all smoke despite the law I am the only person that does not smoke, luckily we work 10-20 metres apart from one another and its a large warehouse so I don't suffer any effect. if circumstances were different I would organise a little spot inspection but as it is we get along and theres no point stirring things up.

many other laws are ridicolous some thing happens so we have to make a law about it rather than find the cause and try to correct it lots of problems today never seemed to have existed before, it certainly wasn't because of any laws people were just different and more respectful
  • Options
    no course i don't mind. i don't even smoke myself but think that seeing as smoking is completely legal then i think it is unfair to impose such strict sanctions on it.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree, we need to make a lot less of a fuss about what sexuality or 'race' we are not more. Having said that though discrimination (either 'positive' or negative) should definitely be rooted out and stopped.
    Yes and groups of people need support groups for their 'categories' and to cater for their lifestyles. :rolleyes:

There's a difference between recognising difference and stigmatising difference.

I do not understand what this "fuss" is supposed to be any way. Please elaborate?
  • Options
    You could take differences down to the Nth degree, because everyone is different, and anytime you gather a group of people who have a group of compromises.