Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Battle For Haditha

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Thanks for the recommendation Jim V...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Grim.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Horrific
    The item on More 4 afterwards was worse...
    i thought it was good, very shocking....

i didnt get to see the more4 thing but i'll watch it when it repeats.
    To be honest I found it incredibly balanced, almost to a fault. When I saw an early screening their seemed to be some issues around the actors playing Iraqis as well, with Broomfield clear they were all Iraqis leaving in Jordon, whereas an exiled Iraqi speaking felt they sounded in speech and style more Jordanian.

There was especially an issue with the translation, which left some of what the Iraqis were saying a little flat, much less eloquent than what they were really saying.

Not sure if that's been corrected now, but overall a really good piece of film-making. I'm hoping to see Redacted soon, but part of me can't face it. After all this is a balanced film about the cost of a war to everyone, whereas Redacted supposedly screams with fury, anger and horror at what the Americans have done (unsurprising given the basis for the film).

The one moment I can't get out of my head though is that first strike from the air, with the grainy footage of a guy walking with a trowel, then suddenly he's wiped from exsistence...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    The item on More 4 afterwards was worse...

Watched them both.
    Weekender Offender 
    The one moment I can't get out of my head though is that first strike from the air, with the grainy footage of a guy walking with a trowel, then suddenly he's wiped from exsistence...

That was incredibly horrible - then later in the film we had a whole troop of them wiped out in one.
    I think it was just that idea of someone just chatting in front of a computer screen with someone else, 'you think he could be an insurgent?' - 'yeah' - then his life ends from a mile away.
    Incredible film that left me with mixed emotions. It was difficult not to feel a degree of sympathy at times with both the two main insurgents and the Marines caught in the ambush. It does make you stop and wonder whether you would do anything different if you were wearing their shoes.

One thing though the video is shown as being made by the insurgents as propaganda and the girl interview is coached while the real news reports state that it was made by a human rights activist. I'm not sure which one was true but it did end up casting doubts for me about other similair stories.

If you haven't seen it and you're with Virgin Media, its available to watch for another five days on TV Choice, 4 On Demand.
    According to Broomfield, and based on the events he interviewed people about, insurgents were responsible for taping the interview but it was then presented to the press as being created by, I think, a medical student working for a human rights organisation. So it was reported that way.

There are disputes about the truth, but he was probably the most vehement when arguing about this - clearly it was something he felt he was almost certain about.
    Jim V wrote: »
    According to Broomfield, and based on the events he interviewed people about, insurgents were responsible for taping the interview but it was then presented to the press as being created by, I think, a medical student working for a human rights organisation. So it was reported that way.

There are disputes about the truth, but he was probably the most vehement when arguing about this - clearly it was something he felt he was almost certain about.

That makes things clearer.

Know you mean about the drone, it made it seem like a computer game. Scary stuff
    "The investigator overseeing L/Cpl Tatum's pre-trial hearing had recommended the dropping of all charges on the grounds that he shot at the children because another marine, Staff Sgt Frank Wuterich, was already firing. "

fucks sake
    New Thread In Politics me thinks...