Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I've lost my door keys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
or they have been stolen.

Maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid but this is what happened.

I never ever lose stuff properly. I lose my keys around the house occasionally but I find them within ten minutes. However today I could not find my keys anywhere. I've looked high and low, in my handbag, under my bed, in the freezer, under the sofa cushions.. EVERYWHERE.

I thought at first I've literally just misplaced them. I've been unwell the last week and had a fever for a lot of it. Yesterday I went out, bundled up, somewhat delirious and remember coming into the house and going upstairs. I thought I might have left them in the door but they aren't there.

My flat-mate said that when he went out they were in the door and he put them on the stairs next to my digital camera (stupid place to leave both I know). They aren't there now. But then again I might have picked them up later on and put them somewhere... but I may have not.

I've been outside and looked in through the letterbox and lo! and behold the stair in view is the one with the digital camera and where my keys were. I'm wondering if someone has spotted the camera whilst wandering around aimlessly poking through letterboxes (like some degenerates do) attempted to hook them using a several meters long pole/hooky device and ended up with JACKPOT! My keys.

I'm not sure what to do. I feel I should ring my landlord but that will involve me spending out for new locks etc and then I'll probably end up finding them and feeling stupid. Or getting my flatmate to get his keys copied and just leaving it at that.

Any advice guys?

May I just point out I live on a huge shitty council estate where people very little disposable income etc so why people would attempt to rob us I do not know.

Comments

• Options
    If you want to play it safe then get the locks changed, there's every possibility that you've just lost them, but then there is a distinct possibility that they've been hooked, better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    Argh sucks. I haven't got enough money to get the locks changed :(

How much does it usually cost?
  • Options
    i'd have another look absolutely everywhere and get your housemates to check too. if you still cant find them, i'd get the locks changed. personally i'd feel more comfortable that way.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I would get them changed tbh - but I am a paranoid freak!
  • Options
    My friend is coming over soon to help me look for them.

One flat-mate got back this morning and hasn't seen them.

Second flat-mate was the one that put them on the stairs (in plain-view through the letter box *scowl*)
  • Options
    I'd certainly spend a lot of time looking before considering replacing any locks. Otherwise you'll feel like a right tit if they turn up.
  • Options
    You're looking at about £75 parts and labour, depending on the lock. If it's just a yale lock it's a simple job to do yourself allegedly, although for insurance purposes i'd get a locksmith to do it.
  • Options
    Found them. They were in the washing machine. I think one of my flatmates is playing tricks on me Hmmm
  • Options
    its probably not a good idea to leave them in the hall though - as i know people who have had thier cars stolen in the way you were thinking by sticking a fishing rod or something long and hooklike throught the letter box.
  • Options
    Found them. They were in the washing machine. I think one of my flatmates is playing tricks on me Hmmm

Glad to hear that :)

When I had my handbag stolen I had my keys in it and also a set of keys to my Dad's house. There was no record of my address in my handbag but there was of my Dad's address so it was his house that had to get the locks all changed not mine :blush:

My Dad changed the lock himself (you can buy them in DIY stores), but he had to get about 8 sets of keys cut - two locks so that's 16 keys (a lot of people have keys to my Dad's house!!), it was nice though as he has a local key cutting man who is independant and it's good to support small business, I think it was his lucky day. My Dad paid though not me thankfully. I'd already lost a few hundred quid's worth of handbag contents.