Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Worlds biggest economy is now ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The EU ...official.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This isn't really new news. Bigger population, stronger currency, centralisation of economy all adds up. Watch out for India though.
    When it comes to economy, it's growth that's really interesting. China has a really agressive growth going on.

India is interesting, despite it's size and access to technology india isn't the powerhouse you'd really think it should be. I've read something about the reasons for it somewhere, I'll dig it out if anyone's interested.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    India is interesting, despite it's size and access to technology india isn't the powerhouse you'd really think it should be. I've read something about the reasons for it somewhere, I'll dig it out if anyone's interested.

That's because India have the marvelous civil service we left them, hundreds of thousands of people there largely to provide work. Getting anything done in India is known throughout the world as a nightmare.
    budda wrote: »
    That's because India have the marvelous civil service we left them, hundreds of thousands of people there largely to provide work. Getting anything done in India is known throughout the world as a nightmare.

Yes. Yes it is a nightmare. Which is why corruption and bypassing the legal system seem like better options to most...

The EU's the world's biggest economy? Not for long, the way things look right now with the recession and all. I think that the EU's best option right now is aiding development in eastern europe. But then again, I'm ill informed.
    Its been the biggest by purchasing power for a couple of years now.

It means nothing of course.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    When it comes to economy, it's growth that's really interesting. China has a really agressive growth going on.

The ammount of raw materials China needs to keep up anything like the pace is staggering ...and can't be done.
    The ammount of oil China needs is staggering and can't be got.
    Europe along with Russia are the next big thing. Europe will move ever closer to Russia ...maybe not by choice but by necessity.
    Europe will be Earths next big leader ...and the UK ...will be left all on its lonesome ...its best friend America broke and having cut all ties withthe UK ...the UK is going to go down the pan by not being a big part of the EU.
    Watch for the big UK America split ...coming your way soon.
    Since when have we not been part of the EU?

Oh and the EU has been the biggest economy in the world for a long time. Since before the new members came into it, which will've boosted it even more. If you count it as a single economy that is.
    Since when have we not been part of the EU?

Oh and the EU has been the biggest economy in the world for a long time. Since before the new members came into it, which will've boosted it even more. If you count it as a single economy that is.

Sorry i meant as in currency ...which will make a huge difference. All the difference.
    Well it's competition between the Euro and the Yuen to become the new reserve currency, isn't it? Now that the arse has fallen out of the trousers of the dollar, that is.
    and the UK ...will be left all on its lonesome

Is that really such a bad thing though? All the dystopian Sci-fi out there that paints a bleak picture of Earth in the future shows the UK as being the only country left as a functioning society, by virtue of it's island nature, and the fact that if we really wanted to could become self-sufficient in most things.

In the V for vendetta comic books, the reason the Norsefire party exist is because of global nuclear war. The UK is the only country left because we kept out of it.

In Judge Dredd, the UK is a megacity, and the only one that represents a country

In Children of Men, yes we're affected by the plague but again our insular, island status gives us special protection against the shit that's kicking off everywhere else.
    Whowhere wrote: »

Is that really such a bad thing though? All the dystopian Sci-fi out there that paints a bleak picture of Earth in the future shows the UK as being the only country left as a functioning society, by virtue of it's island nature, and the fact that if we really wanted to could become self-sufficient in most things.

In the V for vendetta comic books, the reason the Norsefire party exist is because of global nuclear war. The UK is the only country left because we kept out of it.

In Judge Dredd, the UK is a megacity, and the only one that represents a country

In Children of Men, yes we're affected by the plague but again our insular, island status gives us special protection against the shit that's kicking off everywhere else.

Well as a farty little massively overpopulated island we will not be able to compete at all against or even with the massive trading blocks that are being formed. As for being self suficient ...not a chance unless your all happy to eat cabbage and potatoe soup!
    I hear talk of recession, but recession in EU/US would result in world recession i think.
    Whowhere wrote: »

Well as a farty little massively overpopulated island we will not be able to compete at all against or even with the massive trading blocks that are being formed. As for being self suficient ...not a chance unless your all happy to eat cabbage and potatoe soup!

I think we could become self sufficient if we had to, just take a look at all the grass land all over the country that is unused. We've got enough tidal/wind/nuclear power. Who cares if we need to trade or not. Just go it alone and let the rest of the world fight over the quickly dwindling crud that's left.