Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how can i help someone with going cold turkey?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i didn't realise quite how addicted my boyfriend is to weed, and he hadn't had any for 24 hours and he started to get a bit aggressive, and then he started to go into shock, had very bad stomach pains, and went very dizzy and stuff. He hasn't been smoking a huge amount, a 10 bag a day, but he has been smoking like this since january (more before that).

i've stopped giving him any money towards anything other than cigarette 9which i tend to buy for him), because he really needs to sort himself out. he does want to stop (at least be able to not need it any more and only have it on weekends or such), but this will be difficult as all of his friends smoke weeda and a few deal and he hasn't a lot else in his life atm, as he lives at home and hasn't got a job. unless i/his mum/his nan give him money for weed, he won't be able to get any as his owes something to a lot of the local dealers.

i'm really trying to help him, any i know going cold turkey off weed really isn't a big deal like heroine, but i've done it before and it difficult. but i just wanted to know what i could do to support him more than just hold him when he has shakes and be patient when he gets ratty....

thanks

Comments

• Options
    I wish i could be of some help but ...in all honesty ...in forty years of being very involved with dope i have never ever come across a single case of cannabis cold turkey. A bit of difficulty sleeping ...a bit irritable for 48hrs. Nope ...not something i have ever come across i'm afraid.
  • Options
    he went through a very horrible 12 hour stage he seems better now, but it was a bit scary how he was rolling around in pain and shaking for a bit. i was very upset and irritable for about a week when i did, but nothing like this. do you think his weed could have been cut with something?
  • Options
    he went through a very horrible 12 hour stage he seems better now, but it was a bit scary how he was rolling around in pain and shaking for a bit. i was very upset and irritable for about a week when i did, but nothing like this. do you think his weed could have been cut with something?

You want me to speak the truth as i see it don't ya?
    I suspect an attention seeking arse hole TT. If cannabis was cut with class A's or summat ...don't you think it would show up in the papers. Every time you get busted with drugs they are sent off to the lab ...and you get a purity report. this heroin was 47% etc etc ...Theres low grade cannabis and high grade cannabis and an awful lot inbetween but there aint any cannabis out there that can have these effects chuck ...except on attention seeking drama queens ...sorry my dear but thats the bottom line.
  • Options
    perhaps he has an underlieing mental/personality disorder and uses weed to supress it.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    perhaps he has an underlieing mental/personality disorder and uses weed to supress it.
    H e may well have but he also has a very vivid imagination writhing around on the floor in agony.
  • Options
    id say hes probably got a tummy bug at the same time and its a coincidence tbh
  • Options
    You want me to speak the truth as i see it don't ya?
    I suspect an attention seeking arse hole TT. If cannabis was cut with class A's or summat ...don't you think it would show up in the papers. Every time you get busted with drugs they are sent off to the lab ...and you get a purity report. this heroin was 47% etc etc ...Theres low grade cannabis and high grade cannabis and an awful lot inbetween but there aint any cannabis out there that can have these effects chuck ...except on attention seeking drama queens ...sorry my dear but thats the bottom line.

i agree totally...perhaps a slap and a good shake and tell him to wise up

sorry
  • Options
    i agree totally...perhaps a slap and a good shake and tell him to wise up

sorry
    If it is withdrawl from cannabis then he should get in touch with one of the big medical universitys ...it would be new in the anals of medicine.
  • Options
    anals of medicine.

:lol:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    :lol:

calm down rubber!
  • Options
    do you think his weed could have been cut with something?

Cut with what though? It simply doesn't happen, why would a dealer want to do that anyway?

There's obviously underlying issues in his life if he feels the need to smoke a 10 bag a day, as people have said things can become quite irritable and shit when you stop smoking and it's hard to adjust to "reality" but it's not a case of going cold turkey, try getting him involved in sport or an activity that he enjoys to help ween himself off it. :thumb:
  • Options
    Quitting hash is a difficult task for any long term smoker

It may be in research that it is non-addictive, but I see that research as undermining (sp?) because there is many people struggling to stop using
  • Options
    Virus wrote: »
    Quitting hash is a difficult task for any long term smoker

It may be in research that it is non-addictive, but I see that research as undermining (sp?) because there is many people struggling to stop using
    People do struggle to stop cos its become a way of life ...it is less addictive than nicotine though and the withdrawl symptoms are a lot easier to deal with than nicotine withdrawl.
    No where in any medical literature will you find cases of people writhing on the floor with stomach cramps/pains ...thats childish poor me attention seeking drama queen stuff. ...not withdrawl.
    I have smoked weed for forty years ...occasionly i get bored with it or to busy ...so i stop ...for a couple of nights i find sleep a little difficult ...thats it ...end of.
    If dope is unavailable when you run out ...you do not fall apart and start crying and hurting ...utter bollox ...the guy needs a slap or some psychiatric help that he must have needed before he ever had a smoke ...more probably he needs to grow up.
  • Options
    Don't start laying into me, I never even mentioned the guy in this thread. I was talking about cannabis users in general.. so why even have to mention that the guy needs some psychiatric help in a reply to me
  • Options
    laying into you????

where lol?
  • Options
    I think people become instituionalised to the stoner life style. There life has revolved around getting stoned so much, they wake up every day thinking how am i guna get high that they forget what they did before they smoked pot.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »

What she described though didn't sound anything like a sympton of personality disorder though.
  • Options
    laying into you????

where lol?

apologies

when i read what he said it seemed that way

Jonny888 has a good point about it becoming a part of everyday life.

I think the guy should try find something constructive to do that will help remove the instability in his thinking
  • Options
    laying into you????

where lol?
    mmm ...thats what i thought ...how are you rainbow ...you'll always be rainbow to me.
  • Options
    twisted_trinity:

The severity of the symptoms your boyfriend is displaying suggests that he needs to at least go and see his GP, and make a point of writing down all the symptoms so that he doesn't forget anything - sometimes if you've had alot on your plate you can forget things, especially within the small space of a GP consultation.

I cannot emphasise how much taking the time to write down symptoms and feelings will help you get the detail and order your thoughts when you get in there.

He needs to at least make his GP aware of the situation, and perhaps some of his symptoms can be alleviated or helped. Whatever the case, he should at least make the GP aware of the situation.

N.b: It should be pointed out that physical withdrawal is not known to occur with Cannabis in the same manner as (for example) Heroin, but users do often report unpleasant side effects when suddenly stopping after long term heavy use.

As stated above, his GP should be the first port of call.
  • Options
    When i first seen the name of the thread i thought it was heroin...

cannabis withdrawal...dont make me laugh..

I think he just needs to catch himself the fuck on!
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    When i first seen the name of the thread i thought it was heroin...

cannabis withdrawal...dont make me laugh..

I think he just needs to catch himself the fuck on!

Aye but youy still need pyscho-aNalytical thereapy/
  • Options
    is it possible that he's been taking something other than weed?
  • Options
    Plenty of tobacco and possibly some vallium to help get to sleep would be my suggestion. Stopping smoking weed after a long time can be seriously unpleasant, but it's not that big a deal if you can keep yourself occupied as boredom is the main problem.
  • Options
    yea can't see it giving any effects other than a bit of irritability and having issues sleeping .. don't buy this rollin around on the floor in agony business! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    my honest opinion is he is rolling around on the floor trying to manipulate you into buying him sum weed believe me ive got a phd in smoking weed.
  • Options
    cassidy04 wrote: »
    my honest opinion is he is rolling around on the floor trying to manipulate you into buying him sum weed believe me ive got a phd in smoking weed.

Believe me your dead right.
  • Options
    i didn't give in, but his mates gave him some instead. i think he was attention seeking, and he can be a right little whore sometimes (attention whore) and i think next time he actually does give up properly if he gives me shit like that again then he'll get a kick up the arse.
  • Options
    i think next time he actually does give up properly if he gives me shit like that again then he'll get a kick up the arse.

In that case I'd confront him with the real facts about cannabis not giving you the symptoms of heroin withdrawal and see what happens - but if this behavior persists, and if he begins to lose touch with reality or his actions become increasingly strange and especially out of character it might be a cause for concern.
  • Options
    givingupcannabis

I struggled myself with cannabis addiction and do believe it to be very real , I currently use www.givingupcannabis.com to talk to other likeminded people about my addiction . Good luck with your BF , I hope he gets the help he needs to see the end to this addiction .

Lacey