Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i need a confidence boost !!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
plz help me i never feel confident in front of ppl- nd i wnt to go to uni when im abit older nd i was just wondering how ppl get confident speaking in public and that
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Do you mean in front of an audience or just in general talking to people?
    If the former - just practice really, if the latter - just erm..practice again i guess. The more you do it the more comfortable you become doing it
  • Options
    FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi, lots of people feel the same as you, not everyone is happy to speak out especially in front of lots of people! Scary stuff! Often getting a confidence boost happens naturally when someone pays you a compliment or something goes well. But there some steps you could take to try to give yourself a bit of boost, check out the response to this question http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/askthesiteqandas/generalhealthqandas/confidenceboost it might help you.
    Take care!
  • Options
    I'd say being prepared is key - practice is also good but you also don't want to practice so much at something you become like a robot.

I went to an event not long ago where one of the guest speakers was one of the original Dragons from Dragon's Den and some people from the public were invited to present their ideas (they had booked in advance and given time to prepare)

One guy had obviously practiced so much it was it was like listening to a robot - was so boring.
  • Options
    Try businessballs website

heres a direct link to an article on building self confidence/assertiveness

http://www.businessballs.com/self-confidence-assertiveness.htm
  • Options
    I never am either. Since puberty I've been weary of people I talk to. I can't do "typical chat" like talking about the weather, or big brother, which is how most conversations start towards me for some reason. I can only talk openly when I'm having a debate about something meaningful, or when someone is just being completly idiotic.

I'd like to be open and talkative, but I usually am within a month - 2 of talking to the person. You're only 14 I presumme according to your other posts, don't let it get you down, yet.
  • Options
    I went to a Dale Carnegie course. First I didn't really feel it had helped me but in time I came to realise that talking in front of people doesn't scare me any longer like it used to. :)
  • Options
    I have found that focusing/ becoming totally engrosed in the subject you are talking about, is a great way to forget that you are talking to loads of people or doing a presentation. maybe that would help? also, doing it more and more often and being willing to do it. I never really felt willing to do things like that, now I do.
    A part of it is being afraid of embarressing yourself, but it's like, if you think about doing something silly, you're more likely to do it. If you just think about the subject, you are less likely to... you get me?
  • Options
    Standing up in front of people and talking just takes practice. Even the best public speakers get nervous when they do it, but it's about taking those nerves and channeling them into a positive rather than a negative.

Take a step back and think what's the worst that can happen. In all reality nothing too horrendous can, so where's the worry? It's a natural human emotion to worry about things and in some ways think the worst is always going to happen...kinda prepares us for anything, but if we think positively about something then generally it goes well.

The other trick is to know your subject well and that gives you the confidence to be able to feel it must go well. Defintely run through your material once or twice but never too often. The more you practice the more it puts you off if you do say something different to how it was planned and it will come across as rehearsed to the audience.