Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

university people please !!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i want to do teaching course when im older , and i have read alot of ppl have had to do a presentation to get into uni. im realli scared about that cus im not very confident, so plz can u tell me if u did a presentation and can u give me some confidence advice ?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Suppose it would depend on the course but i had nothing like that when i started...i didnt even have an interview or anything, just got offered a place and told when it started
    A friend of mine has just got into grad school & she's doing teaching. She had to do a presentation as though she was taking a class. I think she did a Shakespeare play. Basically, its just to see if you'll be an ok teacher. I think the reasoning is that: If you're too scared to stand up in front of a class, then how can you be a teacher?

I wouldn't be able to do it - which is one reason why I don't want to be a teacher - but I don't know if every uni asks you for a presentation.

I dont have any helpful advice I'm afraid, other than if you really want to be a teacher, you'll just have to bite the bullet and do it. They'll have seen plenty of nervous people before & will probably be expecting nerves.

Don't worry about it until you know for sure you have to do one :thumb:
    I had to give a 5 min presentation on how I would teach a certain lesson based on a certain topic when I went to my interview. It wasnt so bad, and if youre not up for that then youll find it difficult to do anything longer infront of a class.
    I didn't do a presentation or interview to get into uni to do my undergrad course, but I did for my MA and my PGCE (teacher training course). The first thing to say is that you will probably find you get a lot more confident as you get older anyway, I used to be very shy in school but now I'm not at all. The second thing is that when it comes to presentations, interviews, or anything like that, preparation is the key. If you go in prepared for all the questions and knowing exactly what you are going to present, then it makes you feel a lot more confident in yourself and in what you have to say.

I think with being a teacher you get used to standing up and talking in front of people very very quickly, so even if the first few times you do it you find very daunting and scary you know that soon it will just become an every day thing that you don't even think twice about.
    Someone I work with is going to do her PGCE in September. I dont know much about the application process, but she does work two days a week in a local school helping out. Maybe worth looking into to see if teaching is for you (I wanted to do it until my work experience put me off for life) and to get used to intracitting with kids.