Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

grammar check

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
just finishing off my dissertation and i'm wrting my abstract.

got this sentence and wondering what's the best way to write this.

In a population of 30 males and 50 females, four indices of FA were calculated. The study assessed the relationship that these FA indices would share with scores on the g-loaded verbal comprehension and spatial object assembly sub-tests of the Multidimensional Aptitude Battery-II (MAB-II), the automated operation span (Aospan) test of working memory, a forward digit span test of short term memory, and a Frontal Systems Behaviour Scale (FrSBe) questionnaire assessing frontal function.

Basically, I'm comparing the FA (Fluctuating Asymmetry) scores with those 4 cognitive tests. Do I need a colon or anything before launching into a big list like that?

e.g. The study assessed the relationship that these FA indices would share with: scores on the g-loaded verbal comprehension and spatial etc etc.

Please help.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'd certainly put a semi-colon after this "Multidimensional Aptitude Battery-II (MAB-II)"
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    just finishing off my dissertation and i'm wrting my abstract.

got this sentence and wondering what's the best way to write this.

In a population of 30 males and 50 females, four indices of FA were calculated. The study assessed the relationship that these FA indices would share with scores on the g-loaded verbal comprehension and spatial object assembly sub-tests of the Multidimensional Aptitude Battery-II (MAB-II), the automated operation span (Aospan) test of working memory, a forward digit span test of short term memory, and a Frontal Systems Behaviour Scale (FrSBe) questionnaire assessing frontal function.

Basically, I'm comparing the FA (Fluctuating Asymmetry) scores with those 4 cognitive tests. Do I need a colon or anything before launching into a big list like that?

e.g. The study assessed the relationship that these FA indices would share with: scores on the g-loaded verbal comprehension and spatial etc etc.

Please help.

From looking at it I would say that you don't need a colon or a semi-colon before going into your list, since it's a continuation of the sentence rather than a semi-related comment or something.
  • Options
    From looking at it I would say that you don't need a colon or a semi-colon before going into your list, since it's a continuation of the sentence rather than a semi-related comment or something.

yea, i just left it as it was.

i've never mastered the use of colons or semi-colons.

it's handed in now. thank fuck.
  • Options

hooray for handing in dissertations :yippe:
    i got mine in on monday. am SOOO relieved its all over!!

unless i fail of course.. :impissed:

well done :thumb:
  • Options

They're very rarely used tbh. It's often just better to use a full stop.

But good job in getting it handed in. Always a good weight off the shoulders :thumb: