Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How to apply for jobs that aren't advertised

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Eg. in a bank or council offices, people keep telling me there's always jobs going but they aren't advertised on the job centre or anywhere else. Is it ok just to pop in a cv and apply for a job there even if one doesn't exist at that present time? Sort of just in case anything turns up? If so what to write on the cover letter as I wont actually be applying for a specific role

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For places like banks, councils and big companies, it's probably best to phone and request an application form (they could send it to you or you could go in to collect it - saves them the postage!), then complete it and send it back with a covering letter, so that they have all your details in the format they want.

We (I work in a HR Dept) always prefer that - if we get a CV we send out an app form too.. Maybe it's the people we attract but sometime there are huge chunks missing from their work histories on the CV but you usually end up with all the info, or more insight, from an app form.

We look over the form then send out a letter - either "nothing at present" or "nothing at present, but we would like to keep you on file for six months". And we do actually keep them and refer back to them.. not just bin them!