Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How long did it take to get pregnant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Question's in the title!

How long did it take you / your partner to get pregnant, particularly after coming off the mini-Pill? I've been on either the combined or mini-Pill (more on than off!) for eight years, since I was 16. Have been on this mini-Pill for about four years and want to come of it soon.

I rarely have periods - does that mean I'm not I'm ovulating?? Thought I was fairly clued up, but I just don't get that bit!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    never been on the mini pill.

first time i got pregnant i was on the pill, but other factors made it not work so well and i got pregnant whilst on it, so ?

second time Id had the mirena for about 3 years, got it taken out, and was pregnant within about 2 or 3 months

3rd time i had been using the non-hormonal copper coil for a couple of years, got it taken out and it took about 7 or 8 mths to get pregnant.

4th time (after miscarrying the previous one) i was pregnant again within a couple of months.

5th time - 3 months after giving birth, although hadnt been trying, in fact it was a bit of a shock to say the least as my baby was so young and completely breastfed and thats supposed to be a contraceptive of sorts.

If youre not having regular periods, it might mean youre ovulating irregularly, but it might not. Hard to tell if youre on the mini pill, but progestogen is probably causing that, so i imagine your periods would go back to normal when you came off it
  • Options
    my baby was so young and completely breastfed and thats supposed to be a contraceptive of sorts.

:eek:

Must say I am surprised by that comment, because that isn't what I would have thought at all. Sure it's not a "old wives tale"?

Anyway, in reply to the OP - several months of vigorous shagging for us, each of the four times (one miscarriage)... mucho pleasure!
  • Options
    I stand corrected, although I'd never take the risk myself given the conditions which need to apply...
  • Options
    As SCC says, it may or may not mean you're ovulating. It's not necessarily a problem to have irregular periods [off the pill, when trying to conceive] if you can chart your ovulation using other signs but of course it makes things a hell of a lot more difficult and irregular ovulation (and periods) account for a lot of infertility problems so it makes trying to conceive a bigger ordeal.

To be honest I would also assume that when you come off the mini pill and are taking no oral contraceptives that your periods and thus ovulation will become regulated in a fairly short time period. When are you planning to come off it?

As for getting pregnant, I haven't been a regular user of any contraceptives. A bit irresponsible really but I never found anything I was happy with so was always chopping and changing - my poor body probably didn't know what was hitting it. I also had the mirena but after I got it taken out I got pregnant within two months. Unfortunately I lost that child, after that I fell pregnant again within a matter of months. Lots of sex and just luck I guess. Wishing you the same :)
  • Options
    well all those conditions pretty much did apply, so i can safely say it DOESNT work.

I wont be taking the risk next time
  • Options
    Thanks all :)

I've got about six weeks worth of mini-Pills left so will take those, taking me into the middle of April, then not get a repeat prescription.

Am also due a blood test for my underactive thryoid - yay, another complication! - around then so will check all's fine with that too (I'm aware I'll need blood tests every 4-6 weeks throughout pregnancy due to the UAT).
  • Options
    I came off pill about Dec/Jan and got pregnant in March/April, although we wasnt trying as such.

Good luck:)
  • Options
    About 2 years for me, it took ages and ages for my cycle to get back to normal after being on the pill for so long.
  • Options
    never been on the mini pill.

first time i got pregnant i was on the pill, but other factors made it not work so well and i got pregnant whilst on it, so ?

second time Id had the mirena for about 3 years, got it taken out, and was pregnant within about 2 or 3 months

3rd time i had been using the non-hormonal copper coil for a couple of years, got it taken out and it took about 7 or 8 mths to get pregnant.

4th time (after miscarrying the previous one) i was pregnant again within a couple of months.

5th time - 3 months after giving birth, although hadnt been trying, in fact it was a bit of a shock to say the least as my baby was so young and completely breastfed and thats supposed to be a contraceptive of sorts.

If youre not having regular periods, it might mean youre ovulating irregularly, but it might not. Hard to tell if youre on the mini pill, but progestogen is probably causing that, so i imagine your periods would go back to normal when you came off it

I got a bit lost there - long day, and all that.

How many kids do you actually have!?
  • Options
    im due to give birth to my 3rd child in about 3 weeks :)
  • Options
    3 in 3 weeks!!!!!
  • Options
    lol, i know!! Once you pop, you just cant stop!
  • Options
    im due to give birth to my 3rd child in about 3 weeks :)

A-ha!

I just completely got lost there :D

Good luck for 3 weeks time!
  • Options
    lol, i know!! Once you pop, you just cant stop!
    This one's going to be called Sour Cream and Chive, isn't it? :p
  • Options
    No idea, unfortunately :( My doc was very un-worried about it, saying that "oh, everything will be fine and will be back to normal within a couple of months", but I've come off the (combined) pill before and never got back to normal in the whole nine months I was off it!
  • Options
    First time i got preg within first month of stopping the pill.
    Second time hopefully i will let you know in a few months...;)