Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

doc registery checks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, before ive wanted to go to a clinic for sti checks e.t.c, however tomorrow im registering at a gps, so the standerd checks must be done, im assuming weight, height, blood pressure, wee sample and blood sample will be taking.

So im wondering if theres any point after this to go to a sti clinic cos they would find out anything in my wee or blood right?

I know youll proberly say just ask the doc but id rather ask on here first cos im really shy when it comes to things like that :blush: hence men putting the checks off cos i couldnt build up the courage to let someone look at my privates, so im hoping i will kill two birds with one stone when i have to registar tomorrow?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    No, you'd need to get proper STI tests done at the Sexual Health clinic as well.
  • Options
    but dont the doc check for those in my blood?
  • Options
    It depend what they test the blood for (if they do blood tests at all).

Some of the STI tests are done as swabs rather than blood tests (infact only a couple of them are blood tests from what I remember) and some STIs don't show up in the blood anyhow.
  • Options
    You probably won't get half those things done when initially registering at a GP, it's more like "name, address, previous record please".

Go to the GUM clinic for your STI tests, that's what they're there for afterall and you'll be checked out comprehensively. Takes the weight off your mind and ensures any problems are dealt with efficiently :)
  • Options
    Like the others have said, if you want an STI check up, you'll need to go to the clinc. They don't offer most of the tests at GPs, and generally when you register they want your name, address and NHS number if you know it and that's about it. Some practises suggest you make a nurse appointment to get weighed, measuerd, blood pressure etc but not all.
  • Options
    Ok then thanks, i will just have to make another appointment then!

Im sure i dont but it would be nice to know 100% :)
  • Options
    By the way i know they said i need to provide urine and definatly see a nurse so thats why i thought everything would get checked out...

So waht do they check for in urine then? does anyone know :confused:
  • Options
    Usually just a dipstick test rather than sending it to the labs... they aren;t looking for STis, just underlying issues such as blood cell count...
  • Options
    the sti clinic probably see 100's of vaginas a day, so i wouldn't worry about going!