Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i hate my job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
did a sixteen hour shift yesterday. working at a pizza restaurant. the money is shit and it takes over my social life. its illegal how they treat their staff because i got a 5 minute break at 3 and a 5 minute break at 12:30. your not even allowed to go outside for some fresh air. the only good thing is that you can sometimes choose when you want to work but they are getting strict about that now.

and i got work tonight. im going to quit though.

Comments

• Options
    I actually think a lot of part time jobs like bar work and in kitchens ask for illegal hours. I know my job in a pub kitchen used to, but I didn't always mind because I'd rather work as many hours as I could once I was there. 16 hours takes this piss a little though! How were you made to work for that long?! Maybes have a word with your boss about it rather than quit though, depends how approachable you boss is and how much you like your job. I'm guessing both score pretty low!
  • Options
    adam1989 wrote: »
    it takes over my social life.

a lot of shift jobs are the same...
    best bet is find another job before you hand in your notice
  • Options
    did a sixteen hour shift yesterday. working at a pizza restaurant. the money is shit and it takes over my social life. its illegal how they treat their staff because i got a 5 minute break at 3 and a 5 minute break at 12:30...
    This is the big problem when your working hours are really varied. If you work the same (or very similar) hours each day, it's not a problem. At least then you have some idea of when you'll be free. With shift work, it's a lot harder, particularly when those shifts are very close to one another. Here's an example. Last year, I was working in an arcade. Most of my colleagues would work a night shift followed by a day shift.

For example, they could be working from 5pm to around 1am in the main arcade, then start again the next day, working outside keeping an eye on the bouncy castle and such from 10am, and they could be there for the next 12 hours. To give them credit, they did get at least two half-hour breaks during the day, but it's extremely tiring. I know one of my supervisors who helped out with the collection (that's when the arcade machines are emptied) until around 3am one night, when he started his next shift at 9am. Said he was used to it after all the years, apparently. I wouldn't have stood for it, that's for sure.

Such hours are bound to affect on your social life. For a while, I had none whatsoever - if I wasn't working, I'd either be eating or sleeping. My only advice would be to find another job before you quit this one. I know it's difficult, but at least that would give you some kind of financial security.
  • Options
    did a sixteen hour shift yesterday. working at a pizza restaurant. the money is shit and it takes over my social life. its illegal how they treat their staff because i got a 5 minute break at 3 and a 5 minute break at 12:30. your not even allowed to go outside for some fresh air. the only good thing is that you can sometimes choose when you want to work but they are getting strict about that now.

and i got work tonight. im going to quit though.

For every 4 works you work, you're entitled to a 15 minute break or something like that.
  • Options
    i have just looked at your replies. i have just quit my job now. i just want a bit of free time just to socialize and to catch up on my coursework which needs to be done. i have already handed in an application form at this other place so hopefully they will get back to me but not too soon i hope.

cheers for the advice though.:)
  • Options
    As long as you can afford to do it, I give you props for focusing on your studies rather than working. I know I'm jelous ;)