Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eating disorder awareness week

I found this video really upsetting but worth watching. I think its brought a few home truths to me, so i thought id post it on the offchance it would to anyone else too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqtVDIwnHo
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That is a good and sad video. Like most things dealing with eating disorders, I'm a bit dissapointed they dont' mention binge eating. Not binge and purge, just binging. Its as much of an eating disorder as anexoria and bulumia but people rarely ever give it anymore thought than "put down the fork, fatty" It can be as harmful and delibilating as the others.
  • Options
    thanks for posting this x
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Was genuinely distressing to watch but I'm glad I did. Very sad when they went through the list of deaths at the end.
  • Options
    Wow. Poor poor people. It's so so so true. It's just another way of coping and controlling the other things. Glad I watched. x
  • Options
    do i watch this or do i save it for thte day i watch the save the chickens and children in sweatshops video watching day?
  • Options
    It is a sad and shocking video but to many people with an eating disorder like anorexia and bulimia it wouldn't put them off. There are 100's of videos like this that are used as triggers and watched in the hope of gaining strength from looking at the people in the videos and how slim/skinny they are.
  • Options
    I've just watched it and it was awful to watch :(
  • Options
    Well it's a sad vid katralla, but it's there to try to raise awareness.

I'm sad to say I on't know the difference between bulimia and anorexia. It's tragic because as with many mental illnesses, it's hard for other people to see, often until it's too late. There is a girl at my university who I've seen several times who runs every day, her face is drawn with black bags under her eyes and she has the figure of a skeleton - but whose to say thats not just her build and she's training to do a marathon or something? Either way, would it be a random strangers place to comment?

Unless people accept they have an eating disorder and want to get help there is sometimes little anyone can do :(
  • Options
    The difference between anorexia and bulimia is how much the sufferer weighs.
  • Options
    Briefly-
    Anorexia is restricting food and compensating for eating by purging/over-exercising/more restriction. They beleive they are fat and are terrified of gaining weight. Being able to cope with life depends on keeping weight off, and they usually beleive they will be happier when they meet the next goal.

Bulimia- binging of large amounts of food. People do it quickly and feel out of control. Its like an addiction. Then feel so disgusted they purge it, usually through self-induced vomitting,laxatives, excessive exercise etc. They can be any weight.

Binge-Eating
    As it says, binging like someone with bulimia would but they dont have any compensatory behaviours.

Theres also Compulsive Over-eating which is where someone will be constantly picking at food all the time, and not be able to stop it (i dont know much about it actually).

That made me so sad to see the people that had died, but it still didnt stop me wishing i was as thin as some of them.
  • Options
    I think people can have both, but it tends to be a phase of one, then as they start recovering from it fall into the other one.

I have purging anorexia, because well obviously, i have anorexia but I binge and purge too, but not to the extent that someone with bulimia would.
  • Options
    I think it's quite possible to exhibit symptoms of both. After all, their not mutually exclusive. I have had symptoms of both, but never had full-blown bulimia.
  • Options
    And I haven't been able to watch the vid... I'm horribly squeamish.

Hope you're all right, Lacrymosa and Sikorah
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Is it possible to be both ana and mia? Cuz some people have behaviour of both.

You can have both elements but normaly it tends to sway more to one or the other. You can have EDNOS which is eating disorder not otherwise specified.

There is also orthorexia nervosa.

I think it can be fully hard to diagnose people with eating disorders to just one thing.
  • Options
    Is it possible to be both ana and mia? Cuz some people have behaviour of both.

Yes, much much more people have the often overlooked EDNOS, which imaginatively stands for "eating disorder not otherwise specified" which can be pretty much anything. A mia that doesnt eat much either. Someone with anorexic behavior but still is of a normal weight or still gets periods etc.

Just as dangerous, just with a less exciting less specific name.

I actually didnt find the video triggering, and i still sometimes struggle with my ED tendencies. I actually found the deaths bit at the end quite scary as I always have just associated people dying with anorexia rather than bulimia being actually dangerous and possibly life threatening too
  • Options
    Well done for watching it, I hope that it gives you the push you need to find help.
  • Options
    Bah. I'd be lying if I didn't admit it scared me a bit. Meh.

I've been watching similar videos recently but they aren't really the same as the one you have posted SCC. The pictures are just as shocking though. I just really like the songs that are on these particular two and the lyrics. They make me cry though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmg0OEgMKSE&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZwLr_e5QQ

They aren't great videos but some of the pictures are rather shocking.

I love the songs in them. I know them off my heart now, lol.

Do you use them as thinspo?

Personally, although sick I find looking at people with body shapes like that hypnotising.
    Some people will be disgusted but I think theyre perfect. Its my fucked up perception of beauty I suppose.

I'm not too kean on the beautiful one but the courage one is a favourite.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bah. I'd be lying if I didn't admit it scared me a bit. Meh.

I've been watching similar videos recently but they aren't really the same as the one you have posted SCC. The pictures are just as shocking though. I just really like the songs that are on these particular two and the lyrics. They make me cry though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmg0OEgMKSE&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZwLr_e5QQ

They aren't great videos but some of the pictures are rather shocking.

I love the songs in them. I know them off my heart now, lol.

The songs on them are lovely the one I've found used most often is Sia-Breath Me. It's so nice although I associate it with the wrong things and use it as a determination and reminder song I guess :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Bah. I've just managed to actually managed to watch the video all the way through as my youtube last night was being a bit lame. The bit about the girl dying after only a few months of suffering from bulimia has scared me lots. Oh, and the other bits about people dying from electrolyte inbalance and stuff. Bahhhh :crying:

I'm glad you watched it babe - hopefully you can now see what the rest of us see - that you are damn gorgeous as you are you should learn to be happy and seek help. :)
  • Options
    ana and mia

ugh.
  • Options
    for what its worth, that second picture is fake.
  • Options
    for what its worth, that second picture is fake.

I know :( sad thing is though, a lot of these girls die looking like that
  • Options
    That picture has just made me feel tonnes better about myself. Cheers. I thought I might have been getting a bit skinny cuz you can see my rib bones but not like you can on that picture, nowhere near. Thank you :D It means I can still lose more weight and look ok!

:grump:
  • Options
    I assume youre taking the piss stacey?
  • Options
    I wasn't saying that girl looked ok in that picture btw cuz she looks awful but like, what I was saying was, that I can still lose a bit more weight cuz I'll never get like that so I'll look ok.

You'll never look like that because that picture is fake and so are many others out there claiming to show mega thin people for thinspiration photos.

I know that you already know all of this but most people don't ever get to be that thin because they die first or at least make themselves very very ill and not just in the short term.
  • Options
    having just seen your ribs photo stace I can safely say if you lose any more you will be going that way, even if that pic is a fake it's not far from the truth.

:no:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Urgh. I have no other response to some of the stuff in here.
  • Options
    I think it's worth bearing in mind that even if you're recovering from an eating disorder you may have done your body damage. There was one girl at my school who died whilst recovering from a heart attack at 16 :(.
  • Options
    What?

well 'ana' and 'mia' are like pet names for exceptionally serious illnesses and it aggrevates me that people take them so lightly, i'm not saying that you do but that is what the abbreviations imply.