Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Special Constable

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I've applied to be a Special Constable and I should have an interview soon. Is there anyone else here that is one?

Do you have any tips for the interview etc and what to expect? I've been told by a lady who recruits that they will ask about diversity and why you want to be a Special, any advice would be appreciated?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Every hobby bobby I've ever met has been infanately more of cunt than any real gaver.
    They're in it for the power trip.

Please be different.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Every hobby bobby I've ever met has been infanately more of cunt than any real gaver.
    They're in it for the power trip.

Please be different.

I'm not in it for a power trip thank you. Stop being so narrow minded and I'd appreciate some advice rather than criticism.
  • Options
    Do you have any ambition to be a full police officer in the future? If you do I'm sure that would help.

Never applied to be a SC or a PC so can really offer much in advice. Good luck though.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    squeal wrote: »
    I'm not in it for a power trip thank you. Stop being so narrow minded and I'd appreciate some advice rather than criticism.

I didn't say you were, and I wasn't being narrowminded or critical of you.

Met too many bad specials I suppose.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Do you have any ambition to be a full police officer in the future? If you do I'm sure that would help.

Never applied to be a SC or a PC so can really offer much in advice. Good luck though.

Preferably I would like to be a solicitor but joining the force would be a good Plan B option.

Thanks for your reply Calvin.

I take it there isn't anyone on the boards that is one then?
  • Options
    OH was one but hes now joined the regs. Hes away training atm though so cant pass any advice on.
  • Options
    Sc

Hi Squeal.

I am not one myself but I know a couple of people who have done the training and they found it a really rewarding experience.

If you want to go into any big career (such as Law) then any experience you can get will definately benefit you on a professional and personal level.

I know the training is very difficult - you have to be fit, pass lots of tests and be willing to give up a lot of your time, especially on weekends.

As regards the interview, I would just be honest about what you want to do and how you want to achieve it. If you are enthusiastic and committed I see no reason why you shouldn't get a place. If you don't have a current CRB check then that would be a good move.

Hope that helps a little :)
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm quite sure that there isn't any fitness tests for this. All you have is a medical which is eyesight, hearing, urine etc. I think it varies from force to force as to whether they require you to do a fitness test or not.

I've spoken to my friend who had his interview not that long a go and they asked to give examples where he had dealt with stress, criticism of faith, team work and angry people, and also what career he wants and why. They seem to be pretty big on diversity as well. I've been writing examples down of those etc and have been having on a look on their website so I'm feeling much more confident about the whole thing now. I just have to keep waiting for confirmation of an interview.
  • Options
    Sc

Sounds good to me :)

You seem well prepared so should do great. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you, I hope so because I really want to do it! :)
  • Options
    you can't do your own CRB check afaik anyway, so don't worry about that part.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    you can't do your own CRB check afaik anyway, so don't worry about that part.

I'm not. :) I think if you pass the interview stage they then do all the security checks on your family etc get you to attend a medical and then send for references.
  • Options
    Hi

As an ex-special, here's my advice:

1) Most forces use a competency based application based on the following:
    -Personal Responsibility;
    • Community and Customer Focus;
    • Teamworking;
    • Respect for Race and Diversity; and
    • Oral Communication

Be prepared to have a scenario ready if they ask "give me an example of"

2) Make sure you have the answered prepared for "why do you want to be a special constable".

3) Be fully aware of the commitement involved so that you can demostrate a good understanding.

4) Always be 100% politically correct, don't swear or use offensive terms (goes without saying but easy to slip into the habit!)

5) Be aware of the current policing objectives and policing plan for the force (ie, what they are looking to reduce, any active operations that sort of thing).

6) Be aware of the force area (eg innercity, urban, rural) and the likely crimes occuring. Also know who the cheif constable is!

Don't worry, they will be looking to see if you are a competent person to hold a very important office but they will still take into consideration you are a volunteer and therefore won't be too harsh. My interview was more like a chat. Just show a keen interest, make an effort with your appearance and make it look like you have prepared for the interview and you will be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks very much JJB, that was really useful! Did you enjoy your time as a Special?
  • Options
    I guess you're living up to your user name and your avatar then.... oink, oink. :razz: Lol Sorry, someone was going to say it sooner or later...

Urm I don't really have any advice to give I'm afraid. Ironically, I used to want to join the Police Force when I was younger and I did loads of research into it, never wanted to be a Special though so I don't know much about that.

Just don't you be coming and arresting my arse!!! :grump:
  • Options
    And trust you to be making the comment :p

Glad to see you made it safely back into Thailand.

I used to want to be a dog handler but that is mega hard to get into, there are only I think 9 of them in my region!
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    And trust you to be making the comment :p

Glad to see you made it safely back into Thailand.

I used to want to be a dog handler but that is mega hard to get into, there are only I think 9 of them in my region!

:D

Thanks, Laos was beautiful but when you're not in the drug filled, touristy party towns i.e Vang Vieng.... it's rather scary being in an extremely poor country run by a Communist dictatorship, espescially when you're out in the streets after curfew (11:30pm) and it's like a ghost town, except for the millitary and police...

I used to really want to be in the armed response unit!! :o